Did you mean: 

credit card suggestions

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: credit card suggestions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe the Marvel Mastercard. It has 3% cashback on dining and select entertainment.

It's probably my favorite card to use, since I mostly spend on dining and movie theathers. Plus, they gave me my highest credit limit.

I can't justify spending money at movie theaters.  I get it that lots of people can, but it just seems so overpriced to me.  That and my living room setup can smoke any movie theater I've ever been in which I'm sure is part of it as well.  Different strokes for different folks, no doubt! 

65" + Netflix works for us but... we still like to have an occasional date and sometimes go out for a nice lunch/dinner and hit the movies (sometimes she even get's lucky, lol)

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol, I get that.  I can see people hitting the movies on occasion, no doubt.  But I could never see myself being that guy that hits the movies once a week or whatever; for a couple that could roughly equate to a car payment monthly.  I only went to the movies once in 2016 and not at all in 2015, so I'm definitely not prone to integrating the movies into a night out, generally speaking.  Again though, I do get people that do... I just don't see it as ever being an expense that would be so great that one would seek out a rewards category for it.  But that's me.  And, everyone is not me Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a MasterCard and a store card, maybe add a Visa. I would recommend getting a card that you will want to keep around for a while, perhaps a low rate credit union card. I am not sure though if a newer credit profile would qualify for low APR...but building a relationship with a good credit union is worth its weight in gold. 

Message 13 of 30
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

OP, how old are you?  If you are under 21 you can't go to the prequal sites, they are forbidden by law from offering you anything.  I would consider in this order: Amex Blue Cash Everyday, Discover, Chase Freedom.  You may as well start a relationship with Amex early if you can, Discover can grow fairly quickly and the Chase is a Visa that gets you in with one of the better CC banks around.  Who is your car loan through?  You may have better luck with that bank than elsewhere.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe the Marvel Mastercard. It has 3% cashback on dining and select entertainment.

It's probably my favorite card to use, since I mostly spend on dining and movie theathers. Plus, they gave me my highest credit limit.

I can't justify spending money at movie theaters.  I get it that lots of people can, but it just seems so overpriced to me.  That and my living room setup can smoke any movie theater I've ever been in which I'm sure is part of it as well.  Different strokes for different folks, no doubt! 

Kinda forgot for a moment how overpriced theathers are in the states, since I'm actually in a US territory and it is somewhat cheaper. Not sure how I will do when I move to the states, since I'm a movie every week kind of guy.

Message 15 of 30
Chris679
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You have a MasterCard and a store card, maybe add a Visa. I would recommend getting a card that you will want to keep around for a while, perhaps a low rate credit union card. I am not sure though if a newer credit profile would qualify for low APR...but building a relationship with a good credit union is worth its weight in gold. 

This is great advice.  Early on you should be looking for cards that will grow with you long term.  10 years from now you want it to be anchoring your credit score.  Low APR credit union card is also something you want to have for emergencies. Highly specialized reward cards are harder to get and they don't last long. If you can't go the CU route get something simple like Discover or Chase Freedom.

Message 16 of 30
Zeno
Contributor

i am 26 and my experian fico is 677 i will have to check the other two

Ex:717 EQ: 734 TU: 721
Message 17 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

lol, I get that.  I can see people hitting the movies on occasion, no doubt.  But I could never see myself being that guy that hits the movies once a week or whatever; for a couple that could roughly equate to a car payment monthly.  I only went to the movies once in 2016 and not at all in 2015, so I'm definitely not prone to integrating the movies into a night out, generally speaking.  Again though, I do get people that do... I just don't see it as ever being an expense that would be so great that one would seek out a rewards category for it.  But that's me.  And, everyone is not me Smiley Happy

Right, but it sounds like you've in effect "prepaid" for a lot of movies by purchasing great (and presumably expensive)  AV equipment!

Message 18 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

OP, how old are you?  If you are under 21 you can't go to the prequal sites, they are forbidden by law from offering you anything.  I would consider in this order: Amex Blue Cash Everyday, Discover, Chase Freedom.  You may as well start a relationship with Amex early if you can, Discover can grow fairly quickly and the Chase is a Visa that gets you in with one of the better CC banks around.  Who is your car loan through?  You may have better luck with that bank than elsewhere.

What's the great advantage of starting "a relationship" with Amex early?   Used to be some with backdating but no longer.

Also, why BCE?  OP doens't give info on grocery shopping, might be a bad fit.

Message 19 of 30
Zeno
Contributor

i visited the discover website and saw the discover it card

Ex:717 EQ: 734 TU: 721
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.