Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards for high utilization + auto loan

tag
acleynes
New Contributor

Re: credit cards for high utilization + auto loan

@creditwatcher2012 wrote:

Thanks for all the replys especially to @enharu, and a few months ago like a month and a half my util was over 100% someone told me, so I am continuing to pay down my cc's, and hopefully they will all be paid off shortly, I make 92k a year but have alot of bills...college tuition 4 kids....house bills...etc...

I just have a few more questions, someone said it will take a while for my scores to recover, does that mean if say I was to pay off all cc's hypothetically tommorow that next month they wont be back to where they were before the uti was 70%.....and also in your honest oppinon will the banks close my cards even thou I am make more than the monthly payments.... i usually make 4x the monthly payment.... but like on the 7th in a few days the chase BP is due and I am only going to pay double the min payment....

I hope they dont take AA against me, I am doing everything I can to pay them off quickly...

and why would they even close them if I am NEVER late on them, and I pay promptly and more than what is due...?

And once again thanks to all the replys..., and about the car, I really need a new one, so if Everything is paid off by June,  would it really hurt me to apply with IFS, and try to obtain a loan at a decent rate like maybe 5-7%?

You need to focus on paying off 1 credit card at a time. 

Instead of making double payments on multiple cards, just make the bare minmum payment on all cards except the card you are trying to pay off first.  Use the extra cash to pay off one card at a time.

The next billing cycle, you will have one less card to worry about.  Once you paid off a card, hide it in your sock drawer and do not use it.

Starting Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Current Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Goal Score: 850

Message 11 of 69
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, yea I'm not charging any more on my cards, when the walmart card and american eagle come I am only charging something small like 50 and paying it off the next day just to keep the account active, my reasoning was by opening those two cards it might just slightly help with utilization.... And plus I got a pre approval for the walmart, at this point I am paying the cards down and will eventually get them all down to 0, I am never late or anything so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no AA happens.... Or cld or anything.... What would cause them to initiate a financial status report? Do you think I am at high risk for having my cards closed?
Message 12 of 69
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

And yea all my cards except my debit card is in my sock drawer
Message 13 of 69
enharu
Super Contributor

its hard to say whether you're high risk or low risk. Different banks have different policies on risk exposure for each subset of customers. However with 60 inquiries, plus balances on this many cards, coupled with a personal loan and auto loan sounds like you're higher risk than most customers. If they didn't contact you about a financial review, you're fine for now and there's no point in worrying about something that hasn't or may not happen. Besides even if they do, there's nothing much you will be able to do at that point.

if you want to lower your utilization, the best way is to always pay down debt. other than that, ask for CLI from existing cards. You have a high income. Opening so many credit cards will only lower AAoA, adds to the number of inquiries, and just makes everything messier with so many different bills to pay and all that hassle.

If I were you, I would leave the useless cards as it is and let them be deactivated on its own for inactivity. I honestly don't see why and how is orchard bank is going to help you down the road for example.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 69
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You don't need to charge something to keep your cards active. The balances that are already on there keep them active...that only applies if your balance is zero so stop charging. As others said you need to pay your cards down and stop applying for credit. Your recent inquiries for these new cards are going to tank your score more and jeopardize getting a new vehicle.

I told you this before but your income really is not sufficient for a $52K car plus you have 4 kids! I know you were wanting to buy a house in the future too but with that $800-$1000 per month car payment you will have, will drastically reduce the amount of home you can afford. You really need to wait two years to get your UTIL down and for those inquiries to fall off in order to get approved with realistic terms or to even get approved at all!

I think you are over estimating how far your salary truly goes. I make $96K, leased a $35K Acura TL for $536 per month (I got tier 1 financing and it really is a very nice car, financing it would have cost $641 per month...way too much IMO), and I purchased a home for $347,900 last month (payment is $2385 per month, which includes PITI + PMI + homeowner's insurance). This is my max affordability and I only have one child.

Most people lease luxury cars because the payment is much lower but a lease on a $52K car is still too much IMO for your income especially if you want to buy a house. Getting approved for the lowest rate on a lease requires excellent credit (720 or above, usually) and these dealerships won't lease to you if your credit score is too low. Luxury dealerships require better credit than standard dealerships.

I have 4 credit cards with a combined limit of $7600. I am only carrying a balance on one card that offered 0% for 24 months on some electronics I bought for the house last month. I don't plan on paying it for 24 months either....more like 4-6 months of payments. The other 3 cards are used for EVERYDAY expenses, which means I charge what I would pay cash for on cards, and the money in my bank account piles up to the balances on those cards and I pay in full every month. This is how credit cards are supposed to be used most of the time.

You definitely don't need more credit right now.

So I want you to look at my expenses and try replacing it with a much higher car payment, etc. just to see how ridiculous that would be.

You are simply using more money than your income supports. Once your cards are paid off, you need to use credit cards only if you have the cash available not when the cash is unavailable. Pick 2-3 cards as your everyday cards and zero the rest out and only use for rainy day or emergency expenses.

If you don't get control of your bad habits now, I could see you filing BK after the high car and mortgage payments start coming in with your continued irresponsibility of maxing out cards.

Stop trying to live like the Jones and live within your means...life would be so much less stressful! You should also be able to save $500-$600 per month on top of paying your bills and other expenses with your income. Setup a recurring transfer of $125-$150 per week even if you have to transfer some of it back as you will still be saving something.

You should seriously consider a more realistic vehicle and home purchase plus stop apping! Good Luck and I hope you're listening.

Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 15 of 69
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I agree with the other posters. Here's the gameplan I would use to improve your financial situation.

1. Adjust your spending with the sole goal of getting out of CC debt as fast as possible
2. Pay off all cards, starting with the lowest balances first. Pay only the minimum balance due on all the others. This will help your credit standing tremendously. The Credit One, Orchard, an Capital One cards can be paid off in no time, leaving a balance on just 4 of 11 cards. This looks much better than 8 of 11.
3. I don't see the Orchard and Credit One cards helping you in the future. There are others as well. You have a relationship with Chase. Focus on this one. Unless there is something I'm missing, why don't you just put the Orchard, Credit One, etc. cards in the sock drawer and let them fall off due to inactivity? Maybe pick a handful of your favorite cards and let the others fall off. Given your utilization issues, don't close them now. Let them close themselves due to inactivity.
4. Let your credit inquiries age to 1 year + before applying for any new credit. 60 is an astronomically high number. You are making lender nervous. Take a break.
5. Forget about the car until you pay off these debts. Once they're gone you will be able to save for the car that much quicker since you won't be throwing money into interest payments. That $10k + you are planning to put down could get you out of CC debt. If you absolutely need a car because yours isn't running properly, opt for a used, much less expensive model for the time being. That car that was $50k-$55k a few years ago can be had in great shape for $20-$25k today. That's $6k less in a down payment if you want to put $20k down. You may not have a new car, but you'll still have a very nice one and have a lot less to worry about. Still, I would work on paying off the CC debt and give a couple months after that for some recovery time before applying.

Best of luck to you! This is a big hole to dig out of, but I know you can do it!
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 16 of 69
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I apologize or the typos above (such as putting $20k instead of 20% down). Typing so much on the phone isn't easy. Haha
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 17 of 69
creditwatcher2012
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your feedback, especially to moving forward and ramblin wreck, that's what I am doing if you read my prior posts a few months ago I have inporoved somewhat on my uiltilization, and with your help I'm sure I can get my debts under control... I definitely understand what you are saying moving forward about the 52k car, when I had a quote and was approved in September and August it was 630 a month for 6 years at 5.6 % intrest rate, I was also approved for a lease however I drive way more than the annually allowance, if the 10k for the down payment was liquid right now I would of payed my cc's down however that money was put into a cd that doesen't mature until a few more months, I think maybe end of this month or middle of April... ...

At this point, I did listen to your advice moving forward last time and worked on my utilization, I figured by opening new credf cards my uti would improve to an extent....

I am very worried that banks are going to close my accounts even with a balance, I not wan that to happen, like I said I do pay more than the monthly minimum payment....

Ad regarding the car when I looked at competitors for example Acura they wanted 43k for a SUV that was basic compared to the infiniti....

I am detonate let determined to get my finances under control, and I have begun thanks to of guys at myfico...

Please excuse typos, I am on my phone...
Thx
Message 18 of 69
TrishN
Established Contributor

you guy dont know this boy. why you keep posting like this? check it out

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Denied-Denied-Denied/td-p/1715170

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Can-banks-close-your-credit-cards-for-high-utilization/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Does-having-alot-of-credit-cards-help-your-credit-profi...

Why you keep ask same question?

with 92k for year,but can not pay for your debt?

why keep playing with another momber?

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 19 of 69
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The Acura SUVs may not have all the bells and whistles you want but some of us can't have it all. You either get the Infiniti with a condo or an Acura with a 4bd single family home. You are going to have to choose one or the other because if you don't, you are going to be up to your ears in debt. The Acura RDX starts at $35K...the MDX or ZDX must be what you were looking at. If you come to the table with $20K down on the Infiniti, then ya I think it is reasonable but then where is the downpayment for the house going to come from? You simply don't make enough money for what you want.

Adding cards to reduce Util works but that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. As most likely right now you would only get approved for low limits which will not increase your score very much at all. With your utilization, you need a $5000 credit limit to see a noticeable dent and lenders are just not going to extend that to you right now.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.