Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards maintenence

tag
crew99
Contributor

credit cards maintenence

So I'm finally at the point where I can garden for a while.....but curious which of my credit cards I have to use each month for them to report to the CRA and which ones I can use every few months.....

amex

discover

ge walmart

j crew

capital one secure

I mean if I have to buy a stick of gum each month on every card I will, but if anyone know for sure which ones will be ok if I don't use for a few months that would be so helpful  Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Starting Score: CK 658 12/4/12 | CS 658 12/4/12 | myFico(EQ) 696 12/1/12
Current Score: CK 725 12/1/14 | CS 775 12/1/14 | myFico(EQ) 753 12/2/14
Goal Score: 800 Dare I Dream??

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: credit cards maintenence

@crew99 wrote:

So I'm finally at the point where I can garden for a while.....but curious which of my credit cards I have to use each month for them to report to the CRA and which ones I can use every few months.....

amex

discover

ge walmart

j crew

capital one secure

I mean if I have to buy a stick of gum each month on every card I will, but if anyone know for sure which ones will be ok if I don't use for a few months that would be so helpful  Smiley Happy

Thank you!

Sorry, but you have to read those boring Terms & Conditions for each card you have, in order to find that out. 

For example, I have 2 Barclay cards. Priceline.com and SallieMae Rewards.

priceline.com states:

To continue to participate in the rewards program, your account must remain open and in good standing, you must maintain your creditworthiness and you must use your card for at least one (1) purchase transaction every six (6) months (or have some type of account balance every six months).

SallieMae Rewards states: 

• You must maintain an open and active Credit Card Account that is not in default under your Cardmember Agreement with us.

• Your Credit Card Account cannot have been inactive for thirteen (13) billing cycles (approximately thirteen (13) months) (“Inactive” means you have no balance, no payments and no transactions).

So as you can see, the terms vary for two cards issued by the same creditor. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 7
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I know discover needs to have usage each month to report.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 7
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

Great topic! i never thought about that. I'm going to take notes from this and actually read the T&C lol. I need to garden as well.  

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 4 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

It really depends on the account and not even on the lender. I have two BofA cards that do NOT behave the same way. While the Cash Rewards Visa Signature gets reported EVERY months even if no transactions are done the Travel Rewards Visa Signature simply does not report at all if no transaction is made. I have really funny gaps on my CRs from that account. (NR - not reported)

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

walmart you will have better luck and chaces of CLI if you at least have a tiny balance report each month so it generates a statement.

Message 6 of 7
crew99
Contributor

good advice thanks thenmanwhocan.

so far i'm gathering from the above posters discover and walmart should be charged a little each month, will report back on others!

Starting Score: CK 658 12/4/12 | CS 658 12/4/12 | myFico(EQ) 696 12/1/12
Current Score: CK 725 12/1/14 | CS 775 12/1/14 | myFico(EQ) 753 12/2/14
Goal Score: 800 Dare I Dream??

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.