Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards post bankruptcy

tag
doxiemom
Established Member

Re: credit cards post bankruptcy

I was actually approved for a capitol one unsecured card with no fees.  I do have a mortgage that I have always been current on.

Chapter 13 discharged 02/12
TU 627-10/12, 647-01/13
EQ 638-10/12, 664-3/13
Message 11 of 14
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

FWIW, I hit a 677EQ myFico today using my plan.  I'm 18months 5 days out of BK.  I'm not saying that there are other plans that may work, I'm saying that my plan absolutely does and it's very simple.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 12 of 14
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Are you guys sure of your information on how secured cards report?  Just talked to my banker at Wells Fargo and he said their secured card should report like a regular card.  Where are you guys getting your info from?

Talked to my local CU as well, they said they report their secured card and there is no way different than how a unsecured card is reported.

The fact is I know using secured cards with higher limits works.  Helped my buddy with this credit situation.  His first unsecured card had 7.5k limit likely because he had multiple 5k secured cards.  Doubt he would have gotten it with a bunch of unsecured toy limit cards.  BTW, he did orchard and I know for fact it didn't indicate secured in any way.  And neither did the other 2 secured cards (public savings, and CU).

If some report as secured card, then don't get those.  But the advice others gave that if you have the cash, you can have a leg up doing secured cards is still correct.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 13 of 14
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Apparently it's a YMMV thing.

from:  http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/10-questions-before-getting-a-secured-credit-card-2.asp...

7. Do you report to all three major credit bureaus?
The reason for having a secured card goes far beyond being able to buy CDs online. It's a vehicle for building a good credit history. If the issuer doesn't report, you've lost a major benefit. (Tip: If you start getting mailers offering you unsecured cards after you've made several months of payments on time, you'll know that the bank is reporting.) Ask if the issuer will flag the report to the credit bureaus as a secured card. Consumer Action points out that such a flag could be a deterrent to rebuilding credit.

They agree though, if it reports as secured, it may hinder you.

-SM

Obviously, if you can find a Secured card that doesn't report "secured" then go for it!  But I'd still be very careful about apping for too many things too fast post-BK.

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.