Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit limit increase inquiries

tag
bhall
Established Member

credit limit increase inquiries

Do inquiries that result from a requested credit limit increase count more or less than inquiries that result from the request for new credit(opening new account)?
 I would think that inquiries from new accounts would effect the the score more due to not only new hard inquiry but also the effect the new account has on the average age of all credit accounts.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit limit increase inquiries

bhall wrote:
Do inquiries that result from a requested credit limit increase count more or less than inquiries that result from the request for new credit(opening new account)?
 I would think that inquiries from new accounts would effect the the score more due to not only new hard inquiry but also the effect the new account has on the average age of all credit accounts.

All hard inquiries count the same.  Keep in mind that not all CCCs pull hard inquiries for CLI.  Some pull soft inquiries (which don't affect your score), and some don't pull an inquiry at all.

Message 2 of 5
tonsers
Frequent Contributor

Keep in mind that you can always ask the CSR what they will pull - before they pull it. If they tell you that it will be a hard, you can decline.
Message 3 of 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@tonsers wrote:
Keep in mind that you can always ask the CSR what they will pull - before they pull it. If they tell you that it will be a hard, you can decline.

This is true, however it's been my experience that a lot of CSRs have no idea what the difference is between a hard and soft inquiry.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 5
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

Well do not be like me when i called to requested cli i get told that is going to be soft inq,and then i find out it was 3 hard inq from EXP,EQ,and TU . Smiley Surprised
Good luck to you .
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.