Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit limits lower mortgage limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit limits lower mortgage limits?

I'm planning on going thru the barbware and mine feild process of a mortgage in the coming months (probably 8ish) and I'm curious. ........
Does the credit limits on all cards on one's credit report affect the amount of mortgage u can get?
What u mean, for ex case A) no credit cards and I get approved for 100k mortgage, vs B) 10k in credit limits and same mortgage would only be 90K.
Or does the amount I have changed on the cards at the time I apply affect the amount I'm approved for?

I'm just confused bc I don't want to get my credit limits high if it means that I won't get as much house buying power. Any and all help is thankfully
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: credit limits lower mortgage limits?

Short answer is no it doesn't work that way.
Longer answer:
The mortgage amount you qualify for is determined by your debt-to-income ratio (DTI), credit card minimum payments are use in DTI calculations not the limits or the balance. Some lenders have overlays that counts the minimum payment of cards even if they don't have a balance, other lenders will only count cards that have a balance.
Your mortgage rate is determined by the loan type and your credit score (note mortgages don't use FICO 8 so check your mortgage scores before applying)
Hope this helps and check out the mortgage forum, they have very knowledgeable people there
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There isn't just a pool of X for revolving credit and installment limits that you can allocate.  You can't just trade in $Y on a credit card and expect to get $Y with another credit card or with a mortgage or other installment.

Every creditor/product has its own underwriting critiera that will determine the limits that you qualify for.  Your credit isn't necesarily going to qualify for the same limits and amounts with every product and creditor out there.  Some might extend more.  Some might extend less.

Not having any cards isn't going to help you.  Granted, this only covers FICO scoring and not a given creditor/product's specific requirements but  Credit Mix is a factor, for example.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

I have significanlty higher limits on my cards now than I did for my previous mortgage applications but my credit is in significantly better shape and I've easily qualified for a much bigger mortgage with best terms available.

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm just confused bc I don't want to get my credit limits high if it means that I won't get as much house buying power. Any and all help is thankfully

Discuss with your mortgage lender as what they're specifically looking for is what matters.  If the limits on your cards is an issue you can reduce/close them.  The mortgage process isn't like applying for a credit card where you fill out the app and a decision is made.  You'll be carefully scrutinized and your credit will be reviewed multiple times.

Don't overlook the Mortgage subforum as a resource.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it does not work that way.  How much you can afford when it comes to a mortgage is based on your income.  Your credit is used to determine the rate, qualification etc.  There are peopel with $500 credit limits and have a mortgage of $200,000.

I suggest you heard over to the mortgage section to properly educate yourself on how the process works.  All the best.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thank you all for the help on this. I got a better idea now and it def stears me in a better direction. Ill def check out the other sections on here; they havent let me down yet .

Message 5 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

My mom got her mortgage with 1 $500 platinum Cap1 card and a old Amex charge card.. This was 10+ years ago but she qualified for $400,000 so I don't think it has anything to do with limits
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCs and LOC approvals are more credit history driven as they are UNSECURED... Credit on your reputation

Whereas SECURED approvals can be bolstered or hurt by DIT (debt to income) concerns or confidence.

That is some tweener may get the nod due to income
Likewise lack of income in relation to debt, including the debt being requested can raise RISK questions and scare up a denial.

Secondly because secured debt has security attached to the extension of credit it can be easier to obtain (repos and foreclosures)

Lastly secured accounts have a fixed amount of both time as well as a fixed monthly payment.... taking away the ambitious nature of open, unsecured, possibly never ending lending, which is a very different ballgame than ok 36 payments $300/mo no ups no downs. No tricks no trades.

Bottom line it's way easier to borrow 200k backed by a house than it is to get 200 or maybe even 100k in UNSECURED do-as-you-please CLs
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.