Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit newbie looking to get 2nd cc

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit newbie looking to get 2nd cc

Probably won't hurt much to apply for one card. One HP (hard pull) on your credit report won't mean much. But if you are approved, don't go crazy and apply for a bunch of cards thinking you will be approved. You could even try applying for both the chrome and regular Discover IT cards. Not that u need both, but it should merge as one inquiry on your reports. The chrome offers 2% on gas and restaurants, the regular offers 5% on different categories each quarter of the year. Currently it is 5% at home improvement stores like home depot, and kohls I believe. All other purchases are 1% cash back. They also have an online shopping portal. You search for the name of the website you want to order something from, and you may get an additional percent off from that site, ontop of your 1% you normally would get.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: newbie to credit help!!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have any other credit in your file besides the card opened in February? If not, I'd wait until you have a full six months and have generated actual Fico scores.

+1. I think you should wait for a little more. Or you can try Capital One's pre-approval site to see if you qualify for any other cards but remember that you have to take it with a grain of salt. Good luck on your credit journey! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your current income ? Might have a hard time with Amex or chase . Capital one can upgrade your card if you qualify . I would only carry 2-3 credit cards right now . 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you can use a pre-qualifier until you're at least 21. If you want a Quicksilver One, you'll probably have to cold app for it. I've heard Discover likes thin files. Are you a student? If so, student cards may be easier for you to get right now.

Message 14 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to My Fico OP  Smiley Happy

I have removed all your cross posted threads on this and combined them into this one thread. Please refrain from cross posting the same topic in the future it can lead to confusion. I thank you for your understanding.

Message 15 of 19
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Try pre-qualifying sites to see where you stand. Others might suggest a store card via the SCT.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately i can't use a pre qualification system since im under 21 😞 And no the cap1 is my only card. I think i should wait for my 6 month mark to try a 2nd card..... Would it help to apply for the cap1 quiksliverone, disc it and amex the same day? Would that be best?
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justme3 jsailman im not a student. Could i still apply for a student card? my current yearly income is based at $37,000 however I made 40+ last year and im on track to hit just under 50k this year
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Justme3 jsailman im not a student. Could i still apply for a student card? my current yearly income is based at $37,000 however I made 40+ last year and im on track to hit just under 50k this year

I was able to get the Discover IT with a thin file and i only make 12.5k a year. If you don't have anything negative on your credit history, you should be ok

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.