Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit rebuilding

tag
boosie1979
Valued Member

credit rebuilding

I also wanted to know since I'm currently a student my student loans show default is this hurting my credit and should that show since I'm currently a student and haven't started making payments which was arranged until I graduate?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit rebuilding

If they are deferred - you need to get on the phone first thing and get that fixed-

boosie1979 wrote:
I also wanted to know since I'm currently a student my student loans show default is this hurting my credit and should that show since I'm currently a student and haven't started making payments which was arranged until I graduate?

Message 2 of 6
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Be aware that only subsidized Stafford loans are guaranteed to be deferred until you graduate (government pays interest while you are in school).  Unsubsidized Staffords and all other private loans usually require you to pay interest in school.  So, if you have any of these loans then it is possible that you will have been missing payments on interest.  Note that it is easy to rehabilitate a student loan, but if you are truely in default (meaning you have missed between 205-270 days of payment) then you will not be able to apply for another student loan until those loans have been rehabilitated for at least 12 months!  If you want to pursue graduate study, Grad Plus loans have an automatic requirement of 5 years since default.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChemGuy wrote:
Be aware that only subsidized Stafford loans are guaranteed to be deferred until you graduate (government pays interest while you are in school). Unsubsidized Staffords and all other private loans usually require you to pay interest in school. So, if you have any of these loans then it is possible that you will have been missing payments on interest. Note that it is easy to rehabilitate a student loan, but if you are truely in default (meaning you have missed between 205-270 days of payment) then you will not be able to apply for another student loan until those loans have been rehabilitated for at least 12 months! If you want to pursue graduate study, Grad Plus loans have an automatic requirement of 5 years since default.

With my Unsubsidized SL they just roll the interest into the amount I owe them, I don't have to make payments on it while in school (though they send me the slips in case I want to).
Message 4 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

tessarue wrote:

With my Unsubsidized SL they just roll the interest into the amount I owe them, I don't have to make payments on it while in school (though they send me the slips in case I want to).

Ditto for DD
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 6
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Did you stop school at any point, or take off a semester, drop below half time? That is the only time the Unsub and Sub SL will require payment, and it's 6 months after you stop school, or drop below half time, etc.

I pay on my Usub SL now, since I work and go to school. I just don't want this mountain of debt. Citibank assured me several times I was no way obligated to pay as long as I followed the rules of either in school, don't drop below half time etc. So yeah contact them because something sounds strange. My SL all say "pay as agreed" and "deferred".
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.