Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit union credit cards???

tag
Lpbelleza27
Valued Member

credit union credit cards???

What are credit union cards do you guys have? What are there benefits and advantage from other prime credit cards?? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: credit union credit cards???

DCU, NFCU - low rates, higher CL's, no or reduced fees like BTs
Message 2 of 17
Arailah
Established Member

Biggest reason why people recommend them is because they are more forgiving of blemishes on your credit report than the big banks.

Also - the interest rate is pretty competitve.  I work at a Credit Union and depending on your credit score your interest rate can be as low as 8.9% with no annual fee.  Which is nice.

I can't disclose which one I have since I work there =) But I like having it.  I still want Prime Cards in my wallet one day, but without my credit union I wouldn't have my CC or my Auto Loan.  They are awesome when it comes to lending to those who would otherwise have the door slammed in their face (Like I did for a long long time)

Starting: 06.2013 - [EQ: 525] { TU/CK: 619 TU/WM: 614) [EX/CS: 583]
Current: 12.2013 - [EQ: 621] {TU/CK: 634 TU/WM: 637} [EX/CS: 610]
Goal: 750

[mightymoxie.com]
Message 3 of 17
Lpbelleza27
Valued Member

Do i need to open an account with them before i can apply for a cc?

Message 4 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's wise to become a member first in case you are approved for a cc but not approved for membership
Message 5 of 17
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

NFCU (Navy Federal Credit Union)!!

I have their Flagship Visa Siggy with a limit currently of 5K.  (Gonna ask for CLI soon).

The benefits are enormous as far as being a member.  The card rewards themselves are okay.

The real payoff is in their level of service and willingness to hop on board member's financial plans.  They give high limits with relative ease and they have 24/7 Customer Service that you will not beat anytime soon.

The down side to them is that if you even think about them, they give you a Hard Pull. lol

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 17
Lpbelleza27
Valued Member

Whats the advantage of being a member first prior to getting a cc? (might be a dumb question, sorry new to this)

Message 7 of 17
Lpbelleza27
Valued Member

Is NFCU only for someone who are in the service????

Message 8 of 17
jboy1972
New Contributor

@Lpbelleza27 wrote:

Whats the advantage of being a member first prior to getting a cc? (might be a dumb question, sorry new to this)

On the surface, credit unions look a lot like banks. They both hold deposits, make loans, issue checks and ATM cards, and offer investment services. But the real difference between banks and credit unions has less to do with the services they offer and more with how each institution is run.

Banks are for-profit companies. They make money by charging interest on loans, collecting account fees and reinvesting all that money to earn more profit. But as for-profit companies, they also pay state and federal taxes.

Credit unions, on the other hand, are not-for-profit institutions. Technically, credit unions are owned by their account holders, known as members. Any profit earned by a credit union is either invested back into the organization or paid out to members as a dividend [source: Federal Reserve]. As a not-for-profit institution, credit unions pay no state or federal taxes, meaning they can charge lower interest rates than banks for most financial services.

NFCU Flag Visa Sig $11k *| AMEX BCE $20k*| Discover It $8k*| Citi TY Preferred $5k *| Chase Freedom Visa $2k *|
| Lowe's $10k *| Bank of Hawaii Rewards Platinum Visa $7.8k *| Hawaii USA FCU Platinum Visa 3k *| Firestone 2.2k *|

FICO EQ- 747 (7/07/13) FICO EX -752 (8/07/13) FICO TU -751 (8/07/13)
Message 9 of 17
hot4u
Established Contributor

Most Credit unions use chexsystem for Membership. It's best to do Membership first so you Don't waist a HP for Credit Card/Loan.

There have been cases of offered Credit Card and Person's were Denied Membership.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.