Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

csp to freedom unlimited conversion questions

tag
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

csp to freedom unlimited conversion questions

I was thinking about converting my csp to a freedom unlimited. The card is nearing it's 3 year anniversary and I want to avoid the annual fee. A couple questions -1. What do I do with points before I convert? I have a ink plus but have never traded points between cards before and don't know the process.
-2. Will I ever be able to app for the csp again and get the bonus?
Thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: csp to freedom unlimited conversion questions

I'm fairly certain you can close the CSP and get the bonus 2 years after you orginally got it. Since you are at three years I'm not exactly sure how they'd look at it (as in you apped for it again right after you closed it). I'd maybe wait a bit. The rest I'm not sure of as I havent PC'd any chase cards yet. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

You could open the FU and close CSP (moving CSP limit to new card).

It states you can get the bonus every 24 months but haven't noticed any posts.

Message 3 of 6
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

Ok thanks. I wasn't going to apply right away. Maybe wait a year. What do I do with the points I have on the csp? I don't understand the process of transferring them. I have the ink plus to still get the transfer power. Can I just let them transfer to the unlimited card and deal with it later? Thanks.
Message 4 of 6
driftless
Valued Contributor

Why don't you just apply for FU and keep the CSP?
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Contact Chase to verify but I dont think you don't have to do anything with the points.  The Unlimited is a UR card.  Since you have an Ink Plus you'll still have the ability to transfer UR points to partners even after closing the CSP.  It's really not big deal to transfer points among UR cards but IIRC you can only transfer a given set of points once so don't transfer from one card to another unless you're certain that you don't want those points back with the original card.

@longclimbback wrote:
Will I ever be able to app for the csp again and get the bonus?

Read the terms (hit the Offer Details tab):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/sapphire-preferred-card.aspx?CELL=6TKV

This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.

@longclimbback wrote:
I don't understand the process of transferring them.

Take a look in the Ultmate Rewards portal.  It's pretty straightforward.  To transfer between cards you click on the down arrow by your points and choose Combine Points.  To transfer to a UR partner you click on Use Points and select Transfer to Travel Partners.

If your Ink Plus is under a separate Chase login then you need to log in to the account for the card you're transferring from.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.