Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curious situation with credit union

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

curious situation with credit union

as can be seen in my signature below, i have a card with forum credit union under their "B" tier. i went into the branch to refinance a loan of mine and was told that based on my score i qualified for the "A" card, which has a lower rate. whats confising to me is the fact that they refused to simply transition my current card to the "A" card with a lower interest rate, i had to be issued a new card while keeping the current one. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and how common it is? btw, the second card has a substantially higher limit and a marginally better interest rate.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
s73guy
Contributor

Re: curious situation with credit union

I had a similar situation happen to me through my credit union.  Although, the circumstances are not exactly the same.  My credit union started offering a rewards Visa that gives you cash back or other rewards.  At the time I had the credit union regular Gold Visa.  I was told that I had to apply for the rewards card, and if approved then they would change my card over.  I did apply, and got approved for a much higher limit with a better interest rate.  However, I also got.....a HP on my credit report, a new account on my credit report  which reduced my AAoA (they did not backdate the history on the new card even though they closed the old card).  So, not exactly the same, but YES I did have to reapply at my credit union as well.

Capital One Venture: $30,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $10,000; PNC CashBuilder: $15,000; Chase Marriott Rewards: $10,000; Citi Double Cash: $9,400; Barclay Arrival World MasterCard: $11,150; USF FCU Rewards Visa Signature: $10,500; Suncoast CU Visa: $3,000; Discover It: $3,500; Nordstrom: $2,000; Kohl's: $2,500; Target: $600; Lowes: $6,900; Sams Club: $3,850; Evine: $3,000; HSN: $1,800; Paypal Credit: $4,350; Amazon Store: $5,400 --- EX: 726; EQ: 726; TU: 741

Message 2 of 7
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

this is a card they have been offering for at least as long as i have been a member with them.....1% cash back, simply went from 9.24% to 7.24%

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

A typical standard faire CU move, with my local went through 3 cards to  finally get the best rate card, close old  open new with no backdate to original card date.

Message 4 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

My BECU doesn't do it like that...

The rate is 6.9% to 17.9% and changes as your scores improve.  I'm currently on the 10.9% tier and it's by far my best rate and best limit.  A new APR doesn't require a new card probably because this is the only card they offer, despite the fact they are the 4th largest CU in the USA.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 7
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

forum is local fsaik ....guess it is odd

Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

whats confising to me is the fact that they refused to simply transition my current card to the "A" card with a lower interest rate, i had to be issued a new card while keeping the current one. I am curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and how common it is?

No idea how common it is but it's up to each creditor to determine how they handle such changes.  It's not uncommon, for example, for consumers to have to open a new account with Chase if a lower APR is desired.  With some creditors some have had luck going through the EO for such changes.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.