Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

danger danger will robinson!!!

tag
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

danger danger will robinson!!!

i obessively check my accounts on line and low and behold i have an unauthorized charge on my debit card....i didn't buy gas in brooklyn ny, thankfully i caught it, just got off the phone w/ visa the card is deactivated, in a panic i just froze all 3 of my reports and i haven't even been to pf changs..., its rare i use it, i suspect a small resturant i recently used it at or a large chain convience store i go to frequently, however i use my amex at the chain store freq. but usually  at a different loc. than the debit card was recently used at, either way i am going to keep an eye out on all my accounts now!  any one else get hit recently??? no alerts on my equifax product that i got from target breach. still thining about doing a triple pull but will prob be an issue w/ them frozen.

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: danger danger will robinson!!!

@phillyguy12 wrote:

i obessively check my accounts on line and low and behold i have an unauthorized charge on my debit card....i didn't buy gas in brooklyn ny, thankfully i caught it, just got off the phone w/ visa the card is deactivated, in a panic i just froze all 3 of my reports and i haven't even been to pf changs..., its rare i use it, i suspect a small resturant i recently used it at or a large chain convience store i go to frequently, however i use my amex at the chain store freq. but usually  at a different loc. than the debit card was recently used at, either way i am going to keep an eye out on all my accounts now!  any one else get hit recently??? no alerts on my equifax product that i got from target breach. still thining about doing a triple pull but will prob be an issue w/ them frozen.

Thats good you caught it!! I wonder how they got your debit card number and all of that. Do you use your debit card much if at all ? Btw i think its EX credit monitoring you got from target ? the protect my id ?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 27
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Thats good you caught it!! I wonder how they got your debit card number and all of that. Do you use your debit card much if at all ? Btw i think its EX credit monitoring you got from target ? the protect my id ?

opps yea you are right its ex, i always mix the 2 up. and no i rarely use my debit card, but it looks like it got carded some how, wish i knew for sure, but i am strongly suspecting the small resturant i used it recently, or i am guessing it was a larger payment card processor breach, time will tell i guess.

Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 3 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

opps yea you are right its ex, i always mix the 2 up. and no i rarely use my debit card, but it looks like it got carded some how, wish i knew for sure, but i am strongly suspecting the small resturant i used it recently, or i am guessing it was a larger payment card processor breach, time will tell i guess.

Yeah one of the reasons i like to use CC for everything, you can catch it without getting your bank drained out !!! 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

maybe im asking for it but 1. I don't even carry a debit card and 2. I don't even care if someone takes my credit cards and I'm certainly not freezing my reports because of it.

they issue out new cards, credit it back and done and done.

Now of course I know someone who has had idenity stolen, not just a card stolen would probably want to slap me for being so casual about it but I kind of feel like it's a car accident... if it happens, it's going to happen and you can't do anything about it (well I mean I guess freezing everyhing!) but.

Message 5 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I used to ask my banks to give me "real" ATM cards, which just work in ATMs and are not  debit cards, just to avoid having to carry debit.   But eventually that got too much hassle, but I realize I am now carrying round 5, which is too many!

Message 6 of 27
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

maybe im asking for it but 1. I don't even carry a debit card and 2. I don't even care if someone takes my credit cards and I'm certainly not freezing my reports because of it.

they issue out new cards, credit it back and done and done.

Now of course I know someone who has had idenity stolen, not just a card stolen would probably want to slap me for being so casual about it but I kind of feel like it's a car accident... if it happens, it's going to happen and you can't do anything about it (well I mean I guess freezing everyhing!) but.

no prob w/ no debit card, i just use it everyonce in awhile for small purchases where i am not missing out on anything, as for freezing, it was purely out of an abundance of caution, i was considering doing it anyway to keep me from apping, this was just added incentive to do so. i rebuilt from my own stupidity and i have no desire to do so because of fraud we all know we can get fradulent stuff off but that in itself takes time

Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 7 of 27
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

I've seen outrageous amounts of debit card fraud lately. The technology criminals are using is apparently working: skimmers, tiny cameras located to view your pin entry, and even fake ATMs (usually slipped over a real ATM). Since the increase in debit card fraud, I've changed my debit card to ATM access only and now use my credit cards to cover charges as it's safer than allowing criminal access to your bank account funds. I also put only the necessary amount in my checking and have overdraft blocked so worst comes to worst, it'll result in a decline due to insufficient funds.
Message 8 of 27
adavis425
Established Contributor

@phillyguy12 wrote:

My accounts are frozen and I've never had an issue checking my reports. I use USAA at least 3 three times a week and Credit Karma weekly with no problems. I also check my accounts daily. I know...obsess much? I can't help it. It's what these forums do to you. Smiley Embarassed

Edited to add: Does not compute! Does not compute! (Gotta be of a certain age, huh? Smiley Wink)

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 9 of 27
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

An RFID blocking case may help in the future from identity theft.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.