Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

danger danger will robinson!!!

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: danger danger will robinson!!!

@coldnmn wrote:

An RFID blocking case may help in the future from identity theft.

Assuming you don't have an ID card that unlocks doors where you work by proximity detection. And that you don't use a proximity bus pass to pay for city bus travel, etc.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 11 of 27
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

Assuming you don't have an ID card that unlocks doors where you work by proximity detection. And that you don't use a proximity bus pass to pay for city bus travel, etc.

I always feel any little bit of information is helpful. To me even If it wont help me personally I like to share if it may help someone else.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 12 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@coldnmn wrote:

I always feel any little bit of information is helpful. To me even If it wont help me personally I like to share if it may help someone else.

This really confused me!   I thought  at first you were advocating letting others read your RFID data in case it might help them.   Which would be generous!

Message 13 of 27
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I used to ask my banks to give me "real" ATM cards, which just work in ATMs and are not  debit cards, just to avoid having to carry debit.

Curious, why is that beneficial?  It's just as bad to get money stolen directly from your bank account as it is to have unauthorized purchases... and at least with the Visa/Mastercard debit cards, if they run it as credit (and maybe even if they run it as debit?) you can dispute transactions with Visa/Mastercard.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 14 of 27
gh17
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

maybe im asking for it but 1. I don't even carry a debit card and 2. I don't even care if someone takes my credit cards and I'm certainly not freezing my reports because of it.

they issue out new cards, credit it back and done and done.

Now of course I know someone who has had idenity stolen, not just a card stolen would probably want to slap me for being so casual about it but I kind of feel like it's a car accident... if it happens, it's going to happen and you can't do anything about it (well I mean I guess freezing everyhing!) but.

That's kind of how I feel.  As long as someone doesn't get my social, it's not a big deal to me.

I'd be more worried about my debit card/PIN being stolen than credit cards, since then they'd have access directly to my bank account.  I feel like withdrawals would be harder to reverse than transactions, but I'm not sure.

It doesn't really matter to me at all someone takes my credit card - you just tell the bank, they refund the purchases, disable the card and send you a new one with a new number, and you're set.  Only happened to me once, but it's happen to family members a lot - usually we attribute it to a lot of online purchases at sketchy looking websites for cheap tshirts and things.  It's not the end of the world as long as your identity isn't stolen.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 15 of 27
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Hmm. I heard ATT had a data breach, but that's the only one I've seen recently.

Message 16 of 27
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

You can get RFID blocking sleeves for your cards on eBay for cheap 25 for like 10$ free shipping. We have them for every card. Also, I had debit card fraud in 2010 and it was a huge deal. Anyway once our credit really got established we have stopped the use of debit at all. The last time I can remember using our debit card was in June of 2012. It's so much easier resolving unauth charges or refunds on a CC they have more in place to deal with it than debit cards do. Also, then there is the waiting for the investigation for the bank to put the money back in your account. Total PITA.

Hope it gets resolved without much headache!

Message 17 of 27
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

maybe im asking for it but 1. I don't even carry a debit card and 2. I don't even care if someone takes my credit cards and I'm certainly not freezing my reports because of it.

they issue out new cards, credit it back and done and done.

Now of course I know someone who has had idenity stolen, not just a card stolen would probably want to slap me for being so casual about it but I kind of feel like it's a car accident... if it happens, it's going to happen and you can't do anything about it (well I mean I guess freezing everyhing!) but.

I'm kinda with you there.  Having a CL used up is annoying, but the CCCs will definitely do something about it.  Having your bank account drained is defintiely no bueno!  

I still carry my CU check card, but I very rarely use it.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 18 of 27
IamB2
Established Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

I'm kinda with you there.  Having a CL used up is annoying, but the CCCs will definitely do something about it.  Having your bank account drained is defintiely no bueno!  

I still carry my CU check card, but I very rarely use it.  

Me too. I almost never use the Visa Check card anymore. Unless I need physical cash for whatever reason. Otherwise, it is a credit card all the way. Smiley Happy Plus just in case. lol

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 19 of 27
BootStraps
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@phillyguy12 wrote:

i obessively check my accounts on line and low and behold i have an unauthorized charge on my debit card....i didn't buy gas in brooklyn ny, thankfully i caught it, just got off the phone w/ visa the card is deactivated, in a panic i just froze all 3 of my reports and i haven't even been to pf changs..., its rare i use it, i suspect a small resturant i recently used it at or a large chain convience store i go to frequently, however i use my amex at the chain store freq. but usually  at a different loc. than the debit card was recently used at, either way i am going to keep an eye out on all my accounts now!  any one else get hit recently??? no alerts on my equifax product that i got from target breach. still thining about doing a triple pull but will prob be an issue w/ them frozen.

Thats good you caught it!! I wonder how they got your debit card number and all of that. Do you use your debit card much if at all ? Btw i think its EX credit monitoring you got from target ? the protect my id ?

This could be a credit card skimmer if the OP recently used his/her card at an unfamiliar gas station, ATM  etc.

An article about the same:

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securityadvisorie1/a/How-To-Avoid-Credit-Card-Skimmers.htm

Just good to know info...

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.