Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

death and a credit card bill

tag
Established Contributor

Re: death and a credit card bill

jmbfl wrote:

No one here can give you proper advice in this matter. You need the council of at attorney expert in this field. There are circumstances under which she may still be responsible for the debt, not because she was an authorized user, but because she was the spouse of the card holder.

The estate is responsible for the debt. If she is responsible for the debt it is not because she is an authorized user.

jmbfl wrote:

The only way you will get peace of mind in this matter is to get competent, qualified, expert advice. Be sure you maintain the minimum payments on the account until the matter is settled - if it goes to collection you may be hounded by CA's for years!

She is NOT LIABLE for the credit card debt. She cannot legally be hounded by a CA "for years" if the card goes delinquent.

If she must pay her husband's debts because of some marital responsibility as you seem to think, it is only her obligation when that fact is determined with due process of the legal system. 

Whether the credit card is late or not paid at all,  she cannot be hounded at all let alone for "years". Creditors have lost lawsuits brought by AUs.

Elsewhere you responded to my post saying " I think the sentiment would have been more aptly put as: Never concede responsibility for any debt."

Why would you advise the lady to make payments on a debt that wasn't hers. Why give the bank any reason to claim that she "conceded the responsibility of the debt" by making a few payments. If she subsequently can't pay the whole debt, then what?

Are you really advising her to make a few payments, even if she might need to stop paying in the future. The debt is not hers. When a court finds her obligated to pay the debt of a spouse then the obligation to pay begins, not before. 

You rightfully advised that legal help should be obtained. You then proceed to give advice that might not be in the woman's best interest.

You claim that no one can give proper advice in the matter. You then proceed to give your advice that she should make payments on a debt that isn't hers.

Message 21 of 31
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

1) Are you really a legal expert (translate: LAWYER) and fully qualified to give this advice unconditionally?

2) You don't even know whether`the individual in question lives in a community property state or not. If she lives in a community propery state she may be held responsible for this debt not because she in an authorized user but because she is the cardholders spouse!

3) The laws of each community property state differ.

4) They may haved moved from a community property state to a non-community property state or vice versa.

It all matters! 

That is why I will stick with what I previously said:

Continue to make minimum payments on the account until you can obtain competent legal advice from an attorney regarding the status of this account. This is to protect you in the event that you are found responsible for the debt. You should be able to obtain proper advisement within a month and making a few payments on this account does not, in any way, increase your level of legal resposibility for the debt. This is cheap insurance against a possible credit disaster.

PP seems to have neglected the fact that your mom is more than an AU - she is the spouse of the card holder. This is not a minor point. She may have been legally responsible for the account from its inception, joint holder or not, which would mean she may be legally resposible for it now and not some later date based on a court action. Get proper advice ASAP!

Message Edited by jmbfl on 10-28-2008 12:47 AM
Message 22 of 31
dizzier
Established Contributor

You really do need to get expert advice on this. Whether or not your mother is responsible for her husband's credit card (and various other expenses) is dependent upon the laws of your state. Go and talk with a probate attorney.

I'd also add that talking to WAMU is useless. They are going to try to get you to pay the debt whether or not your are actually responsible. They will try any number of scare tactics under the sun to scare you into paying the bill when you may not need to.

Consult an attorney and then act.

ETA: dependent not defendant. sorry. LOL
Message Edited by dizzier on 10-28-2008 11:17 AM

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 23 of 31
Established Contributor

1) Are you really a legal expert (translate: LAWYER) and fully qualified to give this advice unconditionally?

You give unconditional advice with a guarantee that no harm will come to the wife if she follows your advice. You go so far as to say that your suggestions will provide insurance for her. 

You have the nerve to try to bait me with the "Are you a lawyer?" question.  On an anonymous message board the only credentials a person has is the community esteem that others confer on him after being part of the community for a long enough duration. The other members draw their own conclusions as to the merits of individual advice given on these boards.

I am not a lawyer and neither are you. Posing that question is just another example of your thinly masked animosity towards others. This is a credit card discussion board. Many here know the basic answers to the questions asked by the OP. I am as qualified as you are to state my opinion. I do not have to be a lawyer to know what I am talking about.

You keep saying contact a lawyer after first following your advice. That doesn't mean that you know what you are talking about.

Responsibilities for AUs and Joint owners are fully understood by most mature members in this forum. You seem to have a problem with my part of the discussion.

On the first page of this thread the posts and replies were going quite well even considering the change form AU to joint topics.

Stef37 made some awesome posts fully addressing the issues involved. You made some right on observations yourself.

By the time nodebtformeplease thanked everyone in the post of 10-26-2008 7:21 PM I thought that the thread pretty much covered all of the bases

I did think that if the OP's mom were to be stuck paying the debt, at least she might get some benefit from reopening the card with original good credit history. It was all I could add that might help mitigate the pain of having to pay off the debt. At that time we were  still under the impression that it was a joint account.

stef37 made another very good post including a very informative link.

You felt compelled to make your "stick with what I said" post. The purpose of that particular post escaped me.

You are in fact so stuck with what you said that you fail to see that following the same advice for an AU is ridiculous.

The opening shot you took at me was rephrasing what Cleanmachine said. Your words were  "Never concede responsibility for any debt." You subsequently advise OP's mom to make a few months' payments on a debt that she doesn't owe.....and then eventually find a lawyer. Just how does that advice make any possible sense at all?

Ever since Watchmann gave his opinion and I responded to it, You have deemed fit to flame both or us. You have taken cheap shots admonishing us that we were some how offending the OP's family. Neither Watchmann nor I was assuming that the family was trying to do anything wrong.

You were the person who suggested that maybe the OP's deceased father might have placed his wife on the CC illegally (without here knowledge). You furthermore made the cruel remark to Watchman about ever being in a situation when you know full well that he lost his father in law recently and had indeed been in a similar situation.

When you disagree with something someone else says has to say you accuse them of being insensitive to people who are going through stress full times.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you 100% you try to humiliate them and make accusations about them.

2) You don't even know whether`the individual in question lives in a community property state or not. If she lives in a community propery state she may be held responsible for this debt not because she in an authorized user but because she is the cardholders spouse!

Since she is not responsible as an authorized user, why make any payments at all? If she becomes obligated it as his spouse so why make any payments to a credit card that doesn't matter? 

She simply makes no payments on the credit card at all and disputes the tradeline off her reports. She deals with her obligation of the debt when the bank presses the case against the estate or her as a spouse.

Making minimum payments on a closed account serves no purpose. It is unlikely that WaMu is offering the otion of making payments anyway. If the bank does offer payments it might be a new obligation that the spouse would be accepting as her sole responsibility.

Give me one example of a community property law ANYWHERE that says that a spouse must make payments on a closed account that has not yet been determined to be her responsibility.

4) They may haved moved from a community property state to a non-community property state or vice versa.

You keep moving from one irrelevant statement ot another.

It all matters!

The only thing that matters is that you don't care that the OP's mother might be wasting a whole lot of money and perhaps gets stuck with an unmemorable negative tradeline on her credit reports.

What you said previously made sense if the account was a joint account. Playing around with a closed AU account is insanity. I don't have to be a lawyer to make that statement. No I am not a psychiatrist either.

I have been studying Credit and Credit scoring issues for over 8 years. Here is a secret. You can learn a lot in credit forums. You can even learn things some lawyers don't know.

Basic advice that even Newbies know. Dispute AU accounts off the credit reports. Problem Solved.

Continue to make minimum payments on the account until you can obtain competent legal advice from an attorney regarding the status of this account.

The status is closed with no contractual obligation for an AU or spouse to pay. Of course continuing to pay over time might incur an obligation that wasn't there before.

Do you know for a fact that the bank will allow the wife to make payments (minimum or otherwise)? How can you guarantee that the bank won't offer a payment plan that will obligate her to repayment of the whole debt?

Collections are frequently made by issuing a credit card with  prior debt on it. 

This is to protect you in the event that you are found responsible for the debt.

Please explain how she is protected? The account's entire balance is due unless a new agreement is negotiated with the wife. If she is making payments, the bank can claim that there is an agreement to pay.

She is not protected from anything. She might be considered to have entered into a new agreement to pay her spouse's debt over a period of time. 

You should be able to obtain proper advisement within a month and making a few payments on this account does not, in any way, increase your level of legal responsibility for the debt. This is cheap insurance against a possible credit disaster.

You are not only giving legal advice but also guaranteeing that no harm will come to the OP's mom if she follows your advice.

You are also an insurance man. Smiley Surprised

Get proper advice ASAP!

If OP's mom is going to make payments on a closed account that she has no responsibility for, she had better get some proper advice first. She sure isn't getting it in your posts.

Message 24 of 31
fused
Moderator Emeritus

A spirited disagreement can be healthy for this forum, so let's keep it spirited and nothing more. Thank you for understanding!
Message 25 of 31
tunseeker1
Regular Contributor

Ok I know I am late to the party but some of these things may be relevent.

In the event of a death all debts do not just disappear they are always still owed.

In all events of death there is a legal estate which must be settled.

Now in the event of a death of a spouse with no will all states have rules about how an estate is distributed to heirs.

Many instances the creditors can make claim against an estate after distribution and recover assets improperly distributed.

In the event of a death of one spouse the estate is usually considered to be the legal seperation of assets similer to a divorce.

If there is $1000 in assets in a joint account then many times $500 would be avaliable to the estate to cover debts.

Many people are discussing the Authorized User issue in this matter when they should be looking at the issue of the Executer of the estate, which is usually the spouse.

Oh and take the advice with caution. I am not a practicing estate lawyer but am the executor of an estate which is teaching me WAYYYY more then I ever wanted to know about all this stuff.

Message 26 of 31
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

You give unconditional advice with a guarantee that no harm will come to the wife if she follows your advice. You go so far as to say that your suggestions will provide insurance for her. 

You have the nerve to try to bait me with the "Are you a lawyer?" question.  On an anonymous message board the only credentials a person has is the community esteem that others confer on him after being part of the community for a long enough duration. The other members draw their own conclusions as to the merits of individual advice given on these boards.

I am not a lawyer and neither are you. Posing that question is just another example of your thinly masked animosity towards others. This is a credit card discussion board. Many here know the basic answers to the questions asked by the OP. I am as qualified as you are to state my opinion. I do not have to be a lawyer to know what I am talking about.

You keep saying contact a lawyer after first following your advice. That doesn't mean that you know what you are talking about.

Responsibilities for AUs and Joint owners are fully understood by most mature members in this forum. You seem to have a problem with my part of the discussion.

On the first page of this thread the posts and replies were going quite well even considering the change form AU to joint topics.

Stef37 made some awesome posts fully addressing the issues involved. You made some right on observations yourself.

By the time nodebtformeplease thanked everyone in the post of 10-26-2008 7:21 PM I thought that the thread pretty much covered all of the bases

I did think that if the OP's mom were to be stuck paying the debt, at least she might get some benefit from reopening the card with original good credit history. It was all I could add that might help mitigate the pain of having to pay off the debt. At that time we were  still under the impression that it was a joint account.

stef37 made another very good post including a very informative link.

You felt compelled to make your "stick with what I said" post. The purpose of that particular post escaped me.

You are in fact so stuck with what you said that you fail to see that following the same advice for an AU is ridiculous.

The opening shot you took at me was rephrasing what Cleanmachine said. Your words were  "Never concede responsibility for any debt." You subsequently advise OP's mom to make a few months' payments on a debt that she doesn't owe.....and then eventually find a lawyer. Just how does that advice make any possible sense at all?

Ever since Watchmann gave his opinion and I responded to it, You have deemed fit to flame both or us. You have taken cheap shots admonishing us that we were some how offending the OP's family. Neither Watchmann nor I was assuming that the family was trying to do anything wrong.

You were the person who suggested that maybe the OP's deceased father might have placed his wife on the CC illegally (without here knowledge). You furthermore made the cruel remark to Watchman about ever being in a situation when you know full well that he lost his father in law recently and had indeed been in a similar situation.

When you disagree with something someone else says has to say you accuse them of being insensitive to people who are going through stress full times.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you 100% you try to humiliate them and make accusations about them.

Since she is not responsible as an authorized user, why make any payments at all? If she becomes obligated it as his spouse so why make any payments to a credit card that doesn't matter? 

She simply makes no payments on the credit card at all and disputes the tradeline off her reports. She deals with her obligation of the debt when the bank presses the case against the estate or her as a spouse.

Making minimum payments on a closed account serves no purpose. It is unlikely that WaMu is offering the otion of making payments anyway. If the bank does offer payments it might be a new obligation that the spouse would be accepting as her sole responsibility.

Give me one example of a community property law ANYWHERE that says that a spouse must make payments on a closed account that has not yet been determined to be her responsibility.

You keep moving from one irrelevant statement ot another.

It all matters!

The only thing that matters is that you don't care that the OP's mother might be wasting a whole lot of money and perhaps gets stuck with an unmemorable negative tradeline on her credit reports.

What you said previously made sense if the account was a joint account. Playing around with a closed AU account is insanity. I don't have to be a lawyer to make that statement. No I am not a psychiatrist either.

I have been studying Credit and Credit scoring issues for over 8 years. Here is a secret. You can learn a lot in credit forums. You can even learn things some lawyers don't know.

Basic advice that even Newbies know. Dispute AU accounts off the credit reports. Problem Solved.

Continue to make minimum payments on the account until you can obtain competent legal advice from an attorney regarding the status of this account.

The status is closed with no contractual obligation for an AU or spouse to pay. Of course continuing to pay over time might incur an obligation that wasn't there before.

Do you know for a fact that the bank will allow the wife to make payments (minimum or otherwise)? How can you guarantee that the bank won't offer a payment plan that will obligate her to repayment of the whole debt?

Collections are frequently made by issuing a credit card with  prior debt on it. 

This is to protect you in the event that you are found responsible for the debt.

Please explain how she is protected? The account's entire balance is due unless a new agreement is negotiated with the wife. If she is making payments, the bank can claim that there is an agreement to pay.

She is not protected from anything. She might be considered to have entered into a new agreement to pay her spouse's debt over a period of time. 

You should be able to obtain proper advisement within a month and making a few payments on this account does not, in any way, increase your level of legal responsibility for the debt. This is cheap insurance against a possible credit disaster.

You are not only giving legal advice but also guaranteeing that no harm will come to the OP's mom if she follows your advice.

You are also an insurance man. Smiley Surprised

Get proper advice ASAP!

If OP's mom is going to make payments on a closed account that she has no responsibility for, she had better get some proper advice first. She sure isn't getting it in your posts.

UTTER NONSENSE IN PART AND IN TOTAL!

Message Edited by jmbfl on 10-29-2008 04:49 AM
Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

FTR, if she takes her name off the account, while she won't suffer actual damage from the TL (when it goes bad), if she's ultimately found responsible, the worst they can do (since they wouldn't be able to legally reinsert) is seek a judgment against her. Even so, it would take MONTHS to get that far.

OP: Get thine mother to a lawyer. ASAP.

Also, do you know (or does your mom) if your father's account had "payment protection" wherein the CC will forgive the debt? Might be worth asking about.

Bottom line is that IF the mom is found responsible, she'll be sued in court ultimately.

For the meantime, though, the CC, since she's merely an AU, HAS to go through the estate FIRST for payment of the debt. In the event they can't collect THERE (and that will take several months for them to "find out," I assure you), THEN they will seek judgment against the mom.

She needs to get her name off the account OR convince WaMu to let her "reopen" the account in HER name.
Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to say that death is ultimately, legally, treated like divorce, in re credit issues, when dealing with credit/debts in community property states.
Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think something that no one's mentioned is the fact that even if the father left no estate (per se), whatever's in the mom's (assuming joint ownership, here) checking, savings, etc (finances used to pay for the household's operation) is considered, at least in part, the "estate" (unless the account has a "survivorship" feature which allows the remaining funds to go directly to the surviving joint holder -- are not considered part of the estate).

Unless accounts they shared had a "survivorship," I think she should do her best to keep the CCCs happy. Otherwise, they easily claim that the accounts are part of the estate (if it's not been "frozen" already due to that possibility -- banks will sometimes do that out of fear of litigation) and make attempts to secure the money from there.

I hate to say it, but unless the CCCs will allow her to reopen the account in her name, potential future obligations/ramifications aside (in re "admitting ownership" in the debt), I'd pay the debt if I could. Mainly because if there are joint accounts, legally, the money there (unless deposits and debits could be tracked to the extent of deciding exact ownership of the funds/debits) is halfway part of the estate. And the last thing she wants is to be sued for diverting the funds in the estate (unless there was a "pay on death" provision -- in which case, the money is hers, free and clear and there is NO liability in using ALL of those funds -- they can't even be attached by potential creditors).
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.