Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defaulting on credit cards

tag
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

Re: defaulting on credit cards

That's great!  A step in the right direction hopefully.  Hopefully they can help you out!

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 31 of 76
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Hi Savvy.  I have an excel spreadsheet that you can use to put all of your bills and income on for the month so that you can see exactly where you stand.  PM me with your email if you'd like me to send it to you because you cannot attach or anything in the forums.  This is what I would do.

#1:  Call each of your card companies and ask for a lower interest rate.  Even if they give you a promotional rate for 6 or 12 months on your balance, then that is good too.

#2:  Stop using your cards

#3:  Call NFCU and see if they will refinance your vehicle for a longer term, i.e. another 72 months.  See how much that would decrease your payment.

#4:  Call your electric company and ask if they have a budget plan that you can go on.  That way you will always know what your electric bill will be each month and usually it can help with a lower bill.

#5:  Change your thermostat to 68degrees (or lower if possible), and then put on more clothes while at home.

#6:  Check your paycheck stub.  Is there anything at work that is being taken out of your check that you can stop contributing too (or decrease the contribution too) for a little while.

*** IMPORTANT:  If you do not think you can make your payments to NFCU, then you need to change any direct deposits or funds that you have on deposit with NFCU and put it into another bank that you do NOT have loans/credit cards with.  NFCU (and most credit unions) have a clause with their deposit accounts (checking/savings) that say if you default on a payment that you owe them, then they will freeze the funds in your deposit account and they will withdraw the money from your deposit account in order to satisfy that obligation.  Also, any unsecured debt that you have with NFCU (i.e. your credit cards) is automatically secured by any secured debt (your automobile) that you have with NFCU.  Note:  This does NOT apply to a home, mortgage, or LOC against a home.  Pull out your loan, credit card, and banking paperwork and you will see these clauses.  ***

Now, that I gave you the advice I had, I am going to give you my opinion.  Don't take this the wrong way, but some things that I've read aren't making sense.  I am saying this to you because I have been here.  You need to sit down and take a good long hard honest look at your finances and be truthful about what you are spending money on.  Now, these are rhetorical questions that I think you need to just consider.

#1:  You say your vehicle broke down after you paid it off, so you had to get a new one.  I understand having to get a new one, but did you have to get one that was so expensive with month payments?

#2:  Your excuse for not getting a 2nd job is because of the 1 hour each way drive that you have to make to your current job.  Aren't there other businesses around your current job that you could work at.  That way that 1 hour drive will be to and from both jobs.

#3:  You were denied credit because your utilization on your cards is high, yet you have been making the minimum payments.  Now I know minimum payments don't decrease your cards by much, but are you still using your cards?  After you make the call to lower the interest rates on them you need to throw them in a ziplock back and into the sockdrawer.

#4:  You say you don't want a roommate because you don't want a "strange" person living in your house around your things.  Lock the things you don't want anyone messing with in your room or your personal space, and get a roommate.  The majority of people out there are GOOD.  Or is it possible for you to sell those things that you don't want people around and get cheaper things (or free things from Craigslist) and use the proceeds to help pay off debt?

And like I said before.  I do empathize because I have been there.  I have been at rock bottom where the only way for me to get to work was the bus, and I had to get food from a food bank because everything I made went to rent.  I found what I really needed was a good slap in the face to make me wakeup and be honest about what I am doing with my money.  Anyway, I just hope my blatant honesty helps you as financial honesty helped me in the past.  I promise, I'm not a complete jerk, but sometimes it's what we need to hear.

Edit:  looks like i was typing my post as you posted about nfcu.  that is a step in the right direction, but take a look at my "important" section above.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 32 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick question.  I' m thinking about just cancelling a couple of my cards so that the CR will show closed by consumer.  How would this effect my payments with the CC company?  Do I still have the same minimum monthly payment or how does that work exactly?  I've never closed a card before with a balance. 

Message 33 of 76
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick question.  I' m thinking about just cancelling a couple of my cards so that the CR will show closed by consumer.  How would this effect my payments with the CC company?  Do I still have the same minimum monthly payment or how does that work exactly?  I've never closed a card before with a balance. 

NO NO NO, do not close cards... they will no longer work with you on rates, min. etc.

I know personally!

Message 34 of 76
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

NO NO NO, do not close cards... they will no longer work with you on rates, min. etc.

I know personally!

+1:  Usually when you close a card, it's with the same rate as what you are currently paying.  So, I agree that it would be easier and more beneficial to keep them open, and then try to see if they will just lower the interest rate.

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 35 of 76
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I know you're mainly looking for advice about how to deal with the credit cards and not about expenses, but sometimes there are things we just don't think of.  Have you considered a paper route?  My father has had to pick them up before when money was tight.  You don't make a lot, but you can do it outside normal working hours.  Good luck.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 76
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I know you're mainly looking for advice about how to deal with the credit cards and not about expenses, but sometimes there are things we just don't think of.  Have you considered a paper route?  My father has had to pick them up before when money was tight.  You don't make a lot, but you can do it outside normal working hours.  Good luck.

+1:  That is a good suggestion.  I had not even thought about that.  I am going to have to add that to my little book of "financial tips".

Message 37 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tazman81 very good points you bring up.  I have CC with 2 CU but I don't keep any money in any accounts with them.  (well just the $5 required to open savings account and maybe $1 or $2 sitting in checking from various transactions)  After filling out the financial form for NFCU I really saw how much I am short every month.  It was really more than I thought.  To answer your questions:

1.  I've tried this and gotten nowhere.  Any other suggestions on what to say to make this happen?

2.  This was my intention but when you can't pay your electric bill or it is going to be disconnected then you are willing to use any available option to keep it on.

(I've actually let it be cut off before and went without for 3 weeks but had to pay a re-connect fee plus $400 deposit so would rather avoid that plus it's pretty darn cold in VA right now)

3.  I've tried this twice.  First time they said they will not re-finance simply to lower monthly payment.  Second time they told me to fill out financial form and someone would contact me to work with me on my payments I owe them.  Also trying to re-fi with other CU I belong with.  They are running a promotion to guarantee lower payments or they will give you $50 so at least I get $50 out of the deal :-)

4.  Can't go on the budget plan if you owe them any money.  Have been on it before and if you are even one day late paying you get kicked off.

5.  My thermostat is pretty much cut off at home.  Using woodstove mainly.  Sleep in my clothes in bed with 5 blankets as it's very cold at that end of the house.

6.  I actually stopped my 401(k) contribution which means I lose my company match as well.  Nothing I can cut out as I feel I shouldn't cut out my health insurance because I have several medical problems and I had emergency surgery last year. 

Now to your other advice.

1.  I know but I test drove like 30 cars and the ones that were comfortable for me to drive were not the cheap ones.  The bus doesn't run from where I live to where I work and the jobs where I live pay about half of what I make.  And part of my payment being high is due to previous poor credit and high interest rate not expensive car.

2.  I'm open to part time work if I can find it after work etc in the same town.  I do some part-time consulting work but it's kind of hit or miss.

3.  See #2 above

4.  It's not so much my stuff I'm worried about because most of it is hand me down junk but the having the strange person I dont' know in my house.  This may not be safe for me.  Obviously if it's a friend or someone I know that is different and if the opportunity presents itself I certainly would do it.  I have a friend now that would move in if they could but their situation is such they can't do it right now but they will be in the future. 

Please don't think I'm making excuses.  I know a lot of people come on here and do that.  I appreciate your suggestions/opinion/insights.  I'm really pretty much bare bones.  I don't go out to eat.  I dont' buy clothes.  I don't buy expensive electronics/toys.  I don't have any hobbies.  I pretty much work and come home and that's it.  I don't go out.  Don't have significant other to spend money on. 

Message 38 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to get a lot of hate for suggesting this but- if you have a 401k and have had it for any length of time I would consider taking some money out of it.  Either enough to cover your monthly shortage for a while, enough to pay off some of your small cards and lines of credit so you do not have the monthly payment, enough to pay your car off or any combination there in.

Message 39 of 76
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going to get a lot of hate for suggesting this but- if you have a 401k and have had it for any length of time I would consider taking some money out of it.  Either enough to cover your monthly shortage for a while, enough to pay off some of your small cards and lines of credit so you do not have the monthly payment, enough to pay your car off or any combination there in.

I agree.  Although a LAST resort if you want to avoid major credit damage, you could take a little out of it to get back on top of things and get in a more financially fit place.

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 40 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.