Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defaulting on credit cards

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: defaulting on credit cards

@halos24 wrote:

The other option is some sort of consumer counseling service.  They can negotiate the rates you pay and you just pay them one payment.  Good luck! 

Credit counseling would not work here since the OP's monthly payment would go up.  A better approach would be to try to increase the monthly income (2nd or different job) or sell the home and move to a cheaper place.

IMHO roomates are not a good idea and usually go bad.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 61 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did receive a slight reprieve of some money from my mom but like others pointed out just a band aid to my bigger problems.  I'm still trying to decide what to do about my CC mess but in the meantime my main issue is the $619 I owe one of those check cashing places.  They said they would give me more time and then tried to present my check today anyway so it's a good thing I put a stop payment on them.  Anyone know if they will work with me on payments??  I can probably give them 1/2 now and 1/2 by the end of the month.  The paperwork I have says they won't initiate legal proceedings until the loan is 60 days past due and I would definately have it paid off then.  Plus I can't see any court/judge having any sympathy in this day and age with these predatory type lenders.

Message 62 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

" Plus I can't see any court/judge having any sympathy in this day and age with these predatory type lenders".

This is your problem right here.  You went to them to borrow the money they didnot come to you.  You agreed ed to the terms prior to receiving the cash.   You knew how much it was going to cost you and the time in which to pay the loan before you took the cash.  Also your very wrong a small claims court judge is going to give the lender the judgement against you.   

Hope it works out for you but I don't see you clearing up this mess with your attitude.  

Message 63 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Just dealt with the Capital One Lawyers.  They were absolutely rude and bossy.  Until I called back and plead with them, I explained that there last withdrawal (that they did not warn me about) made my rent check bounce and what oh what could I do to make this right?  After a few minutes of heartfelt groveling the guy put me on hold and came back with a new offer.  My card had already defaulted so I was hosed anyways, but now I can make my payments and have food.  good luck, my credit is so bad, myfico stays away from it....  

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi savvyguy! Welcome to the FICO forums. I'm sorry that you've joined us under trying circumstances, but I'm glad that you found us all the same. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I'm not sure that is worth it because by then you get hit with fees etc for being late/over limit.

Does anyone truly have any luck with creditors lowering the payments?  I've got several low cards I'm tempted to just forget about like Capital One, Credit One, etc  but I also have NFCU which I would hate to **bleep** over because they were the first to give me credit after I got my credit cleaned up. 

I just don't see any other options.  I've been juggling/struggling for months now and to make ends meet last month and avoid my electric being cut off I had to take out a loan from one of those loan shark type places which is making my financial situation even worse.

I don't have to tell you that you should avoid default like the plague. If, at all possible. Unfortunately, you won't be able to just forget about any credit card that you stop paying. A short walk through our Rebuilding forum will reveal the ugly truth that Capital One (for example) will almost always sue you before the SOL expires. You'll end up paying more than you owe now. You could be sued, and garnished.

But, I understand your situation. Have you read the FTCs Knee Deep in Debt? That's a good starting place for researching your options. Like Creditaddict already mentioned, it doesn't seem that lenders are willing to work with you until you're already missing payments. But, that shouldn't stop you from trying, and trying again... and again, if need be. Also, have you talked to NFCU about the possibility of a consolidation loan? <-- Not something to consider lightly, and you'll need to have the discipline not to accumulate balances that you can't PIF, along with your monly installment payment if this is feasible.

You mentinoned in your first post that you've cut out everything that you could, but I'd strongly suggest that you have another look, and cut deeper if there's any possible way. Is a 2nd or 3rd job a possibility? You're a homeowner, have you considered taking in a renter... or, moving out of your home, renting it out, and finding less expensive housing? Is there anything you can sell?

ETA: I was typing while you were posting, so I see that you've already made deep cuts in your budget & considered the cost of renting vs. staying in your home.

Message 64 of 76
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I did receive a slight reprieve of some money from my mom but like others pointed out just a band aid to my bigger problems.  I'm still trying to decide what to do about my CC mess but in the meantime my main issue is the $619 I owe one of those check cashing places.  They said they would give me more time and then tried to present my check today anyway so it's a good thing I put a stop payment on them.  Anyone know if they will work with me on payments??  I can probably give them 1/2 now and 1/2 by the end of the month.  The paperwork I have says they won't initiate legal proceedings until the loan is 60 days past due and I would definately have it paid off then.  Plus I can't see any court/judge having any sympathy in this day and age with these predatory type lenders.

Pay day loans really are bad as far as fees go, that being said usually as long as you didn't fraudently take advantage of them, they will normally send that to collections eventually, so if I were you, I get caught up with parents first, trtue collections is bad but you could probably work a PFD at that point....

Message 65 of 76
Nancy2
New Visitor

Which is worse, defaulting on home loan or credit cards. I am having difficulty paying both?

Message 66 of 76
csgardnerr11

you say you took a hardship out several years ago... not sure about your plan but as long as you have the funds available you should be able to take a hardship.. check into that ....  i know of people that have taken out more than one hardship over a  period of years/ months if the funds are available.

Message 67 of 76
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@csgardnerr11 wrote:

you say you took a hardship out several years ago... not sure about your plan but as long as you have the funds available you should be able to take a hardship.. check into that ....  i know of people that have taken out more than one hardship over a  period of years/ months if the funds are available.

IMO with the situation at hand, a bankruptcy may be eminent.  It does not make sense to take money from a 401k (which is a bankruptcy safe-haven) to dump into debts that can be discharged.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 68 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@asavvyguy wrote:

Yes you are being helpful.  I've tried in the past with them and they said they can't re-fi just to lower my monthly payment. 

I'm not too hopeful because they declined me to increase my LOC by $500.

I haven't read all 7 pages yet, so this may have already been said, but I would recommend telling them your situation and let them know that you don't know how long you will be able to keep up with the payments. I say this because I bank with Schools First FCU in OC, CA and they told me the exact same thing. I wanted to refi for a lower payment and/or lower interest and they told me it wasn't an option.  Shortly after, I called to see about cashing out my IRA to pay off my car and the lady told me that they offer a hardship refi and asked if I was interested.  I wasn't sure and decided to think about it but when I called back they told me it wasn't an option.  Anyway, long story short, it was a totally different answer when I told them I couldn't afford the payment anymore.  They asked a few questions about what had changed and approved me right away.. I extended the payments for an additional year, reduced my apr by 5%, and reduced my monthly payments by $150 a month!!! 

Btw, I'm totally jealous of your inexpensive mortgage.  My rent for a 2/2 is $1560 and that's cheap where I live.  Smiley Sad

Message 69 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nancy2:  In my opinion if you cannot pay your mortgage AND your cc's, (but you can pay one or the other), then pay your mortgage, because (1) you need a place to live and (2) mortgage defaults have a bit more consequence than cc defaults (I think.)   There are all sorts of caveats of course (e.g., walking away from your house and renting to save money, or if you know you will not be able to make mortgage payments more than a few more months) but cc debt is unsecured debt which is different than your home or a car payment.

Message 70 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.