Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dell finance

tag
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

dell finance

Does anyone know if dell will approve with a thin file?

My son needs a computer for college. He is 18 and all thats on his reports is an auto loan with GMAC that he has made 3 on time payments for. I have'nt checked to see if he has any type of score yet.

They won't approve me because I filed BK a few years ago and had an account with them, even though I reaffirmed that debt and paid it off. They won't approve my husband for the same reason even though he was'nt even on the account.

Is it worth having my son apply or is it too soon?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: dell finance

Dell use to give out a 1500 CL practically just for applying. have not heard anything on them in some time though

Message 2 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

dell turned me down last year with scores only slightly lower than they are now, say 650-660.  i do have 2 6-year old chargeoffs, but i have more than a dozen positive tradelines, so YMMV.  good luck!

as for the fico thing, i hear you won't have a score until you have 6 months of history.

Message 3 of 13
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Dell turnder down this past week, I haven't received the letter in the mail as to their reason. The only thing I can is maybe due to too many INQ"s on EX report, which is what they pulled becasue I received an alert. My reports are clean except for the INQ's, I have already have the following cards: Amex, BBRZMC, CapOne, local CU Visa, HSBC Plat., Zales, all paid on time. My util is slightly higher this month at 19% so that may have also been a factor, I'm really curious to see what the letter says so I'll be glad when it gets here.  I just decided to use my Amex for the laptop and get the 3X MR points, which I guess is what I should've done in the first place and avoided taking a hit on my EX report...Oh well live and learn Smiley Indifferent.

Does anyone know if Dell does reon's? Since I got the hard hit on my report I might as well try to get them to reconsider.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 4 of 13
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Unfortunately he may get turned down if he does not have a revolving account.  But you can try.  Dell has 2 types of financing.  They have a "preferred card" which offers the best rates and sometimes has 0% financing for a certain period of time, and they also have installment type loans which are offered through CitiFinancial.  Those are usually for high risk buyers.  When I first got a dell (years ago), I only had a SEARS card, and I was approved for the installment loan through Dell/CitiFinancial.  It was at a high interest rate of 24.99% or something though, but I paid extra on it so that I could pay it off faster.  Well, then about a year later I wanted a new laptop and this time I was approved for the preferred account (which i still currently have), and even after my bankrutpcy, they gave me a credit line increase.  So, I would say just try for the preferred card, and if he doesn't get that, then I think they automatically consider him for the other "less favorable" financing.

Has he tried to get a capital one card?  Could possibly kill 2 birds with 1 stone with that.  he could get capital one, and use it to buy a decent laptop from best buy or something, and then pay the card off so that he has that revolving credit as well.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 13
rockymtngrl
Frequent Contributor

He did just get an invitation in the mail today to apply for the capital one student card. I am thinking tomorrow I will go ahead and have him apply with capital one and if they give him a decent credit line that will take care of it. Do you know what kind of income they are looking for?

My understanding was that citi was no longer doing the financing for dell- that it is thru webbank. When they turned me down thats who the letter came from.

Message 6 of 13
sgs10
Regular Contributor

You are correct it is web bank You can see it when you apply in the disclosures

Message 7 of 13
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

What are his scores? Dell is pretty good with offering a recon if he is denied.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Offered by WebBank and serviced by Dell Financial Services

Message 9 of 13
MAstudent07
Contributor

I truly hope you find a method of purchasing your son a computer for his education. While I read, I kept thinking about your son applying for Capital One. I'm guessing that the student card is approved it MAY start him off with a CL no larger than $750.00, therefore, if the purchase is on  the short list, I would shop for a computer lower than 1K including taxes. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. Best of luck

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.