katellis

delta skymiles gold amex - declined :(

[ Edited ]

i've been getting a ton of e-mails about applying for the delta skymiles gold amex (i used to have a northwest airlines visa which ceased to exist due to nw's merger with delta). i applied and -- DENIED! bummer! the reason is that my equifax score was too low. they cited a delinquent account from about 5 years ago. boo, no 20,000 signup miles for me!

now. i am a little confused about credit cards in general, so here is my question. delta has another amex card, the "regular" card, with less perks, but a lower annual fee. same apr. i'm wondering if it would be worth it to apply for that one. do i have any chance of being approved for the "lower tier" card, or when it comes to amex in general am i just screwed? obviously don't want my score to take a hit by applying if i have no chance of being approved.

my TU and EQ scores are in the very high 600s-low 700s. it's been awhile since i pulled the scores (will likely do so in the near future) but im guessing they're around 705-710 or so, judging from past trends. no problems since that delinquent account was paid off a few years back. 

Message Edited by katellis on 12-03-2009 04:03 PM
Message Edited by katellis on 12-03-2009 04:04 PM
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: delta skymiles gold amex - declined :(

if your going to take another hit from amex, I would look at a charge card only otherwise i would say no to apply again
Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Member
westcon5

Re: delta skymiles gold amex - declined :(

I recently received a pre-APPROVED certificate from AMEX for the Delta Gold Skymiles card. I decided to take a shot and accepted online. Well, I got an instant approval (to my surprise). Unfortunately, they pulled all three reports! This is my first AMEX. I've been looking for an AMEX for a few months and the pre-selector site never came up with any cards. All you are going to do is waste another hard (or more than one).

Have you tried their pre-approval link to see if you qualify for any of their cards? This might be a good idea before wasting anymore inquiries. I have also had luck with other companies by calling them before applying and asking them their scoring criteria to see if I was in the ballpark.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}