Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied a CC due to AMEX Backdating!!

tag
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

denied a CC due to AMEX Backdating!!

I just opened an account with San DIego County Credit Union last week and i figured I would apply for a CC since it was the same credit pull. I did it in the branch so I waited for a response. It took the underwriters over an hour and a half to reach a decision and they were asking me questions the whole time about my amex accounts.

I was an AU user on my moms amex account since 2000 and then this year I got my own green card Amex and they backdated it to 2001.

The problem is I was not 18 years old in 2001 so they are wondering how I got approved for credit before I was 18. I didnt throw AMEX under the bus and say it was because of backdating on my acccount that i just opened this year. I figured underwriters could see how long this account has been active, not just the opened date. 

The final decision was DECLINED because they couldnt understand how I have had credit since before I was 18. They told me I will also not be able to get a mortgage because of the same confusion. I dont know what to do at this point. Should I ask amex to update the real opened date? I am not too upset about the credit card account, because I don't need it, however, if I cannot get a mortgage because of this confusing AMEX situation, that is not good.

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: denied a CC due to AMEX Backdating!!

@dddfresh wrote:

I just opened an account with San DIego County Credit Union last week and i figured I would apply for a CC since it was the same credit pull. I did it in the branch so I waited for a response. It took the underwriters over an hour and a half to reach a decision and they were asking me questions the whole time about my amex accounts.

I was an AU user on my moms amex account since 2000 and then this year I got my own green card Amex and they backdated it to 2001.

The problem is I was not 18 years old in 2001 so they are wondering how I got approved for credit before I was 18. I didnt throw AMEX under the bus and say it was because of backdating on my acccount that i just opened this year. I figured underwriters could see how long this account has been active, not just the opened date. 

The final decision was DECLINED because they couldnt understand how I have had credit since before I was 18. They told me I will also not be able to get a mortgage because of the same confusion. I dont know what to do at this point. Should I ask amex to update the real opened date? I am not too upset about the credit card account, because I don't need it, however, if I cannot get a mortgage because of this confusing AMEX situation, that is not good.

Why didn't you just tell them you were an AU on your mom's account before you got your own? It's not like they don't know about Amex backdating. Being coy is not going to work when you were obviously under 18 at the time. It's perfectly OK to have been an AU on your  mom's account and helped you establish good credit habits.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 2 of 31
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

I was an AU on the account with my mom from 2000. I did tell them thats why it is on my report. However, the card i just received this year says "opened 2001" but I am not an AU on this card, its only my name. So i told the truth about being AU on the first card. Even in 2001 i was still a minor.

NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 3 of 31
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

Why didn't you just tell them you were an AU on your mom's account before you got your own? It's not like they don't know about Amex backdating. Being coy is not going to work when you were obviously under 18 at the time. It's perfectly OK to have been an AU on your  mom's account and helped you establish good credit habits.

+1.  The way the original post was written clearly shows that disclosing that information could have resolved the issue. :/

Message 4 of 31
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@dddfresh wrote:

I was an AU on the account with my mom from 2000. I did tell them thats why it is on my report. However, the card i just received this year says "opened 2001" but I am not an AU on this card, its only my name. So i told the truth about being AU on the first card. Even in 2001 i was still a minor.

And they were not satisfied with that? In this case, they are being difficult. 

Message 5 of 31
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

I was honest about being an AU. They couldnt wrap their heads around why I had a card in my name only (without an AU) before I turned 18. 

Message 6 of 31
enharu
Super Contributor

dddfresh wrote:

I was honest about being an AU. They couldnt wrap their heads around why I had a card in my name only (without an AU) before I turned 18. 

explain the whole backdating thing to them.........Just tell them American Express changed your member date because that's when you first became an Amex member, and that's just how it is because it's their policy.

Most banks already know about American Express' policy. Small CUs, and/or new employees, however probably may not know of this. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 31
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

OK thank you. I wasn't sure what to say. Ive never not been approved because of this. I am more concerned about the mortgage thing down the road, but I will definitely use that verbiage. 

Message 8 of 31
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

SDCCU isnt a small credit union, but it could be a new underwrite or not knowledgable of the amex backdating. The mortgage office could not understand it either though. Not making me confident in their services thats for sure

Message 9 of 31
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I assumed that since you "didn't throw Amex under the bus about backdating" that you hadn't told them the account age was because of an AU. Sounds like the underwriter is inexperienced so they just figured there was something wrong with your account rather than the result of Amex reporting policy.

You could have pointed out that Amex is different from other issuers and issues AUs with seperate account numbers and tracks them seperately. I think that is a big part of why they sometimes backdate old AUs and not just old member accounts. You are already in there system and your spending is tracked.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.