cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied, but already have credit score ??

tag
alakazam
New Contributor

denied, but already have credit score ??

So I applied for a Discover Student card, but got denied. Interesting thing is I already have a score according to them. But I only had my CapitalOne card for 2 months. I keep paying it off and spent about $1700 so far and paid it off. (due to $500 limit I pay off several times a month).

So what happened? And why did it happen? It was supposed to be a basic card. Also, I only had 2 other pulls 2 months ago when I got denied for the other cards before I even had my CapitalOne and had no history.

Type of credit score FICO
Your credit score 658
Date 6/14/2012
Scores range from a low of 300 to a high of 850
Key factors that affected your credit score were as follows:
1) DEROGATORY PUBLIC RECORD OR COLLECTION FILED
2) TOO FEW ACCOUNTS PAID AS AGREED
3) LACK OF RECENT INSTALLMENT LOAN INFORMATION
4) ACCOUNT PAYMENT HISTORY IS TOO NEW TO RATE
5) NUMBER OF INQUIRIES ON CREDIT BUREAU

What is DEROGATORY PUBLIC RECORD OR COLLECTION FILED? 2 months ago I had an empty credit report and now this? I don't have anything on my name paying off (no car, no rent, no insurance, no phone bill, Paypal is clean). I might have been late on a web hosting payment, but that was cleared up with the hosting company long ago. Can I call Hostgator and dispute this? Or is this a done deal?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: denied, but already have credit score ??

The first thing that I would do is get a full copy of my credit reports and see what's on them. You can get a free copy, once a year, from each of the three bureaus at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp. If something is there that is not correct, then you can dispute. But first you need to see what it is that creditors are seeing.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 8
alakazam
New Contributor

I called Hostgator. They said I am clean with them. I will be requesting a free report from TU to see why this happened.

Message 3 of 8
2NE1
Established Contributor

You can pull your free CR or... what I would do is: you can send a copy of this 'denied of credit' letter to TU by filling out the form and mailing it. It should be FREE as well. You got 60 days from the date though.

http://annualcreditreport.transunion.com/tu/disclosure/disclosurePricing.jsp
Message 4 of 8
alakazam
New Contributor

I'll do the denied report since the annual online isn't workinf for me right now for TU and wants me to file mail or phone report.

Message 5 of 8
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

I would first focus on researching and correcting (if possible) these items:

1) DEROGATORY PUBLIC RECORD OR COLLECTION FILED
2) TOO FEW ACCOUNTS PAID AS AGREED

My first step would be to obtain a full credit report from each CRA and really look those over.

Message 6 of 8
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

You should be able to request your TU  report from Transunion's online system as well since they factored in your decline.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
alakazam
New Contributor

My Experion report is clean. TU and Equifax can't be obtained online. I am sending mail form for those.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.