Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denied credit by USAA - bummed

tag
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

denied credit by USAA - bummed

I applied for a USAA credit card today and it was declined.

My scores are

747 - Equifax

747 - Experian

785 - TransUnion

We are currently getting ready to close on a house and I need to finance a few things.

She cited short credit history as one of the reasons for disapproval.

I don't know which credit reports they pull but my TU has a CL going back 12 years. However, the other two (during a dispute) deleted my oldest credit line which hurt me badly. Now my second oldest credit line is from 2006 and that sucks. No lates, no derrogatories at all.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Re: denied credit by USAA - bummed

hello? is anybody there? Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Just my two cents here, but do you really need this credit card now, before you close on your house ?

If I were in your shoes, I would be very, very conservative about doing anything credit related until you are closed and you have the keys to your house in hand.  It would be a shame if your house financing was lost or delayed.   I'm not saying it will happen, but underwriters could view applying for new credit negatively.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

That's a good point but that puts me between a rock a hard place.

We are financing a foreclosure and I wanted to obtain the financing to by appliances/fixtures (which were completely stripped from the home) before my mortgage loan showed up on my credit report because I assumed I wouldn't be able to qualify for much after that for the first year or so.

If we cannot finance them then I guess we will survive but I was hoping to get a new card so that I did not have to use my other card (trying to prevent 100% credit utilization here).

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA checks your EQ reports. You might wanna wait until you get your keys and try getting a card from a TU puller.

Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You listed all three scores. Consumers haven't been able to pull our EX FICO scores for 13 months now. Can I ask where you pulled your scores?

And USAA is an EQ puller.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.