Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dental health cards need $25,000 of work

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: dental health cards need $25,000 of work

@Anonymous wrote:

I need major work done. 7 crowns. Rather have someone with experenice working on my teeth if im going to be forking out thousands of dollers

Unfortunately lenders aren't going to care about that. So your best bet is to do what you can afford. Chances are, that means one crown at a time. Even if you can't get a CC, you can save up the money and pay for things upfront in cash, one procedure at a time. Plus you might get a cash discount, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

That being said, if you're already set on what you want to do, then there's no real point in the matter being discussed. You won't get approved for anywhere near $25k, or even a faction thereof, so there's no point in debating the matter. With your credit profile you probably won't get much more than a $500 CL card from Cap One, unless you find a credit union that feels particularly generous. Or you could get lucky with Care Credit and get double-triple that.

But unless you manage to make some positive changes to your credit profile (all of which will take time), your choices are pretty limited.

Message 41 of 92
spartanspirit
Contributor

as a dental assisting student, i have to agree with all the posters who suggest going to a dental school clinic or orthodontics school clinic who can do the work for half the price. dental professionals who are dentist and orthodontics supervise the work. i would also advise to seek a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion to your dental costs. when i got my braces, i consulted with four orthodontists, from "the best in town" to the one i chose now. prices ranged from 7000-3600 for the exact same thing. also try groupon.com (can i write that?) i receive notices all the time from cosmetic dentists who are offering up to 50 percent off veneers. one was veneers for eight teeth,  normally for 8000+ for only $4000. cosmetic dentistry isnt normally covered by insurance, so they know people dont have thousands of dollars to come out of pocket to pay for these procedures, so try to find a dentist that offers in-house financing without charging you interest, they will probably will want a down payment, but will stretch the remaining balance over the time of your treatment, atleast thats what my orthodontists did. good luck to you

Message 42 of 92
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I need major work done. 7 crowns. Rather have someone with experenice working on my teeth if im going to be forking out thousands of dollers

Unfortunately lenders aren't going to care about that. So your best bet is to do what you can afford. Chances are, that means one crown at a time. Even if you can't get a CC, you can save up the money and pay for things upfront in cash, one procedure at a time. Plus you might get a cash discount, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

That being said, if you're already set on what you want to do, then there's no real point in the matter being discussed. You won't get approved for anywhere near $25k, or even a faction thereof, so there's no point in debating the matter. With your credit profile you probably won't get much more than a $500 CL card from Cap One, unless you find a credit union that feels particularly generous. Or you could get lucky with Care Credit and get double-triple that.

But unless you manage to make some positive changes to your credit profile (all of which will take time), your choices are pretty limited.

+1

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 43 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt think dental stundents could do major work like that? Are if I would even want to let them try? And what happens if they mess up? Then I'm basically screwed?

Message 44 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt think dental stundents could do major work like that? Are if I would even want to let them try? And what happens if they mess up? Then I'm basically screwed?

So you think the first time a dentist does a  major procedure is after they graduate and are unsupervised in their private practice?  Smiley Indifferent

Message 45 of 92
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So you think the first time a dentist does a  major procedure is after they graduate and are unsupervised in their private practice?  Smiley Indifferent

Well, you know, a lot of people don't realize how healthcare professionals learn their arts. Smiley Happy No reason to be like that about it.

pockets, dental students (and medical students, and podiatry students, and optometry students, etc.) go through a structured training involving gradually increasing responsibilities. They work under the supervision of dentists (doctors/ podiatrists/ optometrists), taking on more and more challenging work as they gain experience. They aren't in there drilling and filling without a dentist present, making sure that everything is being done correctly.

Dental schools are a wonderful resource for those in your position.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 46 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't think dental students could do major work like that? Are if I would even want to let them try? And what happens if they mess up? Then I'm basically screwed?

That's why there's a "real" (graduated) dentist/oral surgeon there supervising the work.

I mean I get being hesitant about it, but what do you expect them to mess up? Accidentally pulling the wrong teeth out or something? Their work is almost always examined by the dentist supervising the work, to make sure they didn't mess up on anything. If they do a bad job at patching your teeth up, pretty sure they have to do it again.

But really - you should call up the closest major university to you and ask them about it. I know that where I live, if/when I wanted to do get dental work done, I could just call up OSU and ask them about their policies. It's not like they're going to try to trick you into getting work done.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention. Unlike the private dentist you were talking to, the school isn't going to be there with the sole purpose of making money. If anything, they're more likely to be honest about what needs to get done and how. Whereas a private practitioner, sadly, is going to be motivated by $.

Message 47 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, you know, a lot of people don't realize how healthcare professionals learn their arts. Smiley Happy No reason to be like that about it.

pockets, dental students (and medical students, and podiatry students, and optometry students, etc.) go through a structured training involving gradually increasing responsibilities. They work under the supervision of dentists (doctors/ podiatrists/ optometrists), taking on more and more challenging work as they gain experience. They aren't in there drilling and filling without a dentist present, making sure that everything is being done correctly.

Dental schools are a wonderful resource for those in your position.

I meant that, unlike doctors, dentists do not have to go through more training once they finish dental school.  They do 2 years of course work, then 2 years of clinical work (like medical students do), but there is no residency or further structured training after that like there is for medical doctors.  Graduate dental school, pass a test and a practical exam and you can go out and do everything any other dentist can do.  

4th year dental students are basically the same as dentists who are a few years removed from schools, unlike 4th year medical students who are still incapable of doing major procedures.

Didn't mean to sound mean or rude, I was just confused and a little shocked.

Message 48 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's why there's a "real" (graduated) dentist/oral surgeon there supervising the work.

I mean I get being hesitant about it, but what do you expect them to mess up? Accidentally pulling the wrong teeth out or something? Their work is almost always examined by the dentist supervising the work, to make sure they didn't mess up on anything. If they do a bad job at patching your teeth up, pretty sure they have to do it again.

But really - you should call up the closest major university to you and ask them about it. I know that where I live, if/when I wanted to do get dental work done, I could just call up OSU and ask them about their policies. It's not like they're going to try to trick you into getting work done.

Yes, not to mention the fact that if anything does go wrong, the "real" dentist is right there to step in and fix it.  It's not like the student is going to drill a hole through your face.  If they are at the point in their training where they are doing major work, they've already mastered all of the lesser, simpler dental procedures.  Dental schools would not risk having one of their students do major damage to a patient because the school is 100% liable for everything the student does.

Edit:  Oh and you're more likely to get the newest methods and tools at a dental school than at some established dentist's office.  In all medical fields the technology and techniques are constantly changing.  Students are typically taught the most up to date and best methods, while someone who has been in practice for two decades might still be doing things the old way.  Newer isn't always better, but typically newer methods have better results assuming they are not still in the testing stages.

Message 49 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, not to mention the fact that if anything does go wrong, the "real" dentist is right there to step in and fix it.  It's not like the student is going to drill a hole through your face.  If they are at the point in their training where they are doing major work, they've already mastered all of the lesser, simpler dental procedures.  Dental schools would not risk having one of their students do major damage to a patient because the school is 100% liable for everything the student does.

Sounds painful.

On the plus side, you could sue them and never have to worry about what dental work costs again.

Message 50 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.