cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

devaluation of united: change opinion of CSP?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

devaluation of united: change opinion of CSP?

You may have seen that United is greatly increasing the number of miles needed for First/Bus on many of its partner flights (see http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/11/01/uniteds-frequent-flyer-award-prices-going-redeem-... for details for example).   A lot of CSP users transfer to United to take advantage of these premium cabin partner flights.  For those that do, are you going to look more at alternatives to CSP?

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: devaluation of united: change opinion of CSP?

I'm sorry for this upcoming rant, but it's sort of on topic.

WAH! DW and I just went on spree 1 of 2 of our plan to get first class tickets back to south east Asia for next Decembers family reunion. We got a CSP, UEMP, INK BOLD, and a Freedom. 

On the plus side we will have enough for 1 way first class tickets (210k) for all 3 of us before the chart takes effect. So that's what we will do; book the 1 way first classes first on the old card and maybe come back in economy. 

To answer your question, yes I just started a search for other ways to get to SEA, MR points is an option, and so is AA. It's just so hard to beat the earning power of all the chase combined cards. 

Message 2 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Well that's just peachy. I guess I knew it was coming...it's not enough to end my relationship with CSP but I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. Was planning a trip to Japan next year.
Message 3 of 42
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Well that's just peachy. I guess I knew it was coming...it's not enough to end my relationship with CSP but I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. Was planning a trip to Japan next year.

I breezed through all the travel site coverages but I believe Japan got hit pretty hard!

Message 4 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 42
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Yep...and we were not planning to go until jun-Jul

Well just buy before January's out!

Message 6 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 42
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@ wHiTeSoL

Buy? Did you say buy? Lol

by "buy" i meant "book" Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

Yes this devaluation is kinda depressing. I guess one can still use it for international coach flights, which is still decent, but sigh....

Time to redeem my points soon I suppose.

In a way, I can also transfer them to Hyatt instead as well though.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.