Did you mean: 

discover - apple pay

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: discover - apple pay

@Anonymous wrote:
lol. i am impartial to either but i just want my darn cards on it

LOL... you guys are making me feel like I'm behind the times...

I'm using a Moto G LTE, and the only kind of "pay" it works with is an older tech called "take-it-out-of-your-wallet-and-pay"  Smiley Tongue

Maybe my next phone will have ApplePay, SamsungPay, or AndroidPay... I know they're all a bit different, but they all seem cool.

Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

i like apple because they use the Touch ID and it's flawless
Message 12 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i like apple because they use the Touch ID and it's flawless

The claimed advantage of Samsung Pay is that it will work on "most" terminals, doesn't need NFC enabled ones.    But we will see....

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm not sure how that is possible but as you said.. we will see lol. merchants have to approve it in order for it to work. wal mart won't allow those types of payment methods
Message 14 of 36
thecheese
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
hmmm not sure how that is possible but as you said.. we will see lol. merchants have to approve it in order for it to work. wal mart won't allow those types of payment methods

It's supposed to work by emmitting a magnetic signal that emulates that of a regular striped card when you hold it up to the area where you would usually swipe the card, so Walmart or any other merchants don't need to approve anything, it should "just work", but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a bit shoddy on different terminals. We'll see!

Message 15 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

then what other preventative measures do they take to keep you protected? with apple pay they use "false" card information that expires after each use so no one can copy your info. will they do a similar thing?
Message 16 of 36
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

Samsung in general is played out, used to be on their bandwagon when I was a teeny bopper. They just copy Apple. 

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 17 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
then what other preventative measures do they take to keep you protected? with apple pay they use "false" card information that expires after each use so no one can copy your info. will they do a similar thing?

Yes, lots of articles about it now on the web.   It uses tokenised information, just like Apple Pay, so no "real" card info is sent.   They bought a company the provides the magnetic field technique, I really want to see how well this works.  IF it works well, it will be usable much more widely than Apple.

Message 18 of 36
NRB525
Super Contributor

@thecheese wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's supposed to work by emmitting a magnetic signal that emulates that of a regular striped card when you hold it up to the area where you would usually swipe the card, so Walmart or any other merchants don't need to approve anything, it should "just work", but I'd be surprised if it wasn't a bit shoddy on different terminals. We'll see!

It is possible that it works just fine, but the words "Samsung" and "my personal data" I don't ever plan to use in the same sentence.

They don't have a "secure element" hardware in the phone, although Samsung assures us they don't use the data that passes through on the purchase.

I like my ApplePay, because it integrates with the TouchID that secures my phone and certain applications within the phone, and it is hardware secured for the credit card data. ApplePay is gradually finding new stores. Not a lot, I'll admit, but secure where it is.

Samsung, and Android in general, is too easy to hack, in my opinion.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jpmack29 wrote:

Samsung in general is played out, used to be on their bandwagon when I was a teeny bopper. They just copy Apple. 

Varies.   Samsung Pay (again assuming the claims are nearly true!) is going to much more than just a copy of Apple Pay.    And Android fans are always noting that Apple copies lots of Android features and the Apple fans all think it is a wonderful innovation (e.g. notifications, and finally big screens on Apple)   But both are good....

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.