Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover blacklist confirmed or busted?

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

discover blacklist confirmed or busted?

Ive done alot of reading and was currious what the concensous was. do they black list or not? I had an AF card with them back in 2004 when being deployed they added the af, then interest, then late fees, then lowered the limit, then over the limit fees etc. over 18 months later when I get home and see this and call in horor. I sued under the Servicemembers relief act and won. It was deleted from CRA but they sent a nasty gram pretty much saying never apply to me. Im just wondering if anyone has a definate answer yet.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: discover blacklist confirmed or busted?

I would say in your situation your probably blacklisted. Only way to find out is apply, they might not even HP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 39
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I think you are more than blacklisted....
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 39
swpopham
Established Contributor

haha thanks for the support guys lol

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 4 of 39
andre181
Established Contributor

My mom burned Discover in bankruptcy in 2004 for almost $12000 and she just got approved for a Discover IT with a $5500 CL

You never really know until you try, but hopefully you're not.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 39
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

If its worth wasting an HP for IT then try it.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 39
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Had a CO on a Discover, joint card holder with the DW.  It went to a CO about 3 years ago.  I paid them off, Discover directly, no CA.  Just got seperate DiscoverIT approvals, $5500 for me and $5000 for DW.  I understand my situation was different than yours, but I thought I would be blacklisted too.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 39
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

I'm rather certain they blacklist, but not forever. I burned them back in 1997/1998 and was approved for Discover in December 2012. It may take time but it probably won't be forever.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 8 of 39
solxp
Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

Ive done alot of reading and was currious what the concensous was. do they black list or not? I had an AF card with them back in 2004 when being deployed they added the af, then interest, then late fees, then lowered the limit, then over the limit fees etc. over 18 months later when I get home and see this and call in horor. I sued under the Servicemembers relief act and won. It was deleted from CRA but they sent a nasty gram pretty much saying never apply to me. Im just wondering if anyone has a definate answer yet.

You should be fine. The SCRA which is law clearly prohibits the actions which Discover took. I ran into a similar situation during the first gulf war when deployed and on my return I was able to clear up several issues with a little time and paperwork. If you were in a designated combat theater of operations then you have even more relief options available.  If the only issues you had with discover are what you stated above and they deny you then I would contact the BBB your local congressman and the Consumer Protection Agency. You might consider trying to get in contact with Discovers executive office before applying and see what they can do for you.
Based on the limited facts you have given I would say they would give you another card if you meet all their other criteria Discover is to big a company to want to risk alienating the public or giving a politician ammo to score some sound bytes on local tv by appearing to be taking advantage of servicemembers.  There have been some huge fines handed down to companies in the past who violated the SCRA.

Message 9 of 39
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@solxp wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

You should be fine. The SCRA which is law clearly prohibits the actions which Discover took. I ran into a similar situation during the first gulf war when deployed and on my return I was able to clear up several issues with a little time and paperwork. If you were in a designated combat theater of operations then you have even more relief options available.  If the only issues you had with discover are what you stated above and they deny you then I would contact the BBB your local congressman and the Consumer Protection Agency. You might consider trying to get in contact with Discovers executive office before applying and see what they can do for you.
Based on the limited facts you have given I would say they would give you another card if you meet all their other criteria Discover is to big a company to want to risk alienating the public or giving a politician ammo to score some sound bytes on local tv by appearing to be taking advantage of servicemembers.  There have been some huge fines handed down to companies in the past who violated the SCRA.

The SCRA does not have any jurisdiction which mandates any lender to extend credit solely based on a previously settled/litigated issue.  While the OP was successful with settling/fixing the previous disputed situation, the lender as a result has also taken precautionary measures with its underwriting to any individual(s) who have demonstrated to be an adverse risk to the lending institution (e.g. losses, recoveries, fraud, etc).  Essentially, depending on whether Discover decides to extend credit to the OP (provided he/she meets the underwriting criteria) then there is really nothing that the BBB or CPB could do to "force" any lending institution to extend credit solely based on the above reasons.  However, the only way to determine the "blacklist" factor is whenever the OP decides to apply.

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.