cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover blacklist confirmed or busted?

tag
swpopham
Established Contributor

Re: discover blacklist confirmed or busted?

spoke to a supervisor and she said she was declining me. ONLY because of reported balances...

1. chase 3200 of 25000 limit  PIF every month--- Joint card me and the wife

2. NFCU 1100- 10500 limit -- - eah i carry a balance damn--- mine

3. jared -- 680--- 6800 been paying down my watch for 24 months.---mine

4. AMEX (charge card) 8k--- mine

said pay these down and please call us back.... you are not blacklisted please call us back again

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 31 of 39
enharu
Super Contributor

just curious, what is your income approx?

i don't see how these balances should have affected you that much, because your limits are very high and your utilization overall is pretty low.

only thing that might have spooked them off with these balances for your income is too high???

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 32 of 39
swpopham
Established Contributor

168k reported.. I usually pay them off before the statement cuts and they report 0 but im letting christmas roll on nfcu 0% for a couple months and amex has to be payed in full every month

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 33 of 39
swpopham
Established Contributor

you ever get where you just want a new card in your wallet?

Message 34 of 39
enharu
Super Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

168k reported.. I usually pay them off before the statement cuts and they report 0 but im letting christmas roll on nfcu 0% for a couple months and amex has to be payed in full every month

that income is VERY HIGH compared to the balances you owe. You don't have any ridiculous mortage or auto payments each month do you?

I would just call again and re-explain the whole thing. Doesn't make any sense they're rejecting you for a few thousand in credit card balance when your CL are that high, and you make 168k. Seriously though, what's 10k in CC debt when you make 168k?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 35 of 39
swpopham
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

that income is VERY HIGH compared to the balances you owe. You don't have any ridiculous mortage or auto payments each month do you?

I would just call again and re-explain the whole thing. Doesn't make any sense they're rejecting you for a few thousand in credit card balance when your CL are that high, and you make 168k. Seriously though, what's 10k in CC debt when you make 168k?

car payments 1500 on my truck and 1045 on my wifes, house is payed off... no student debt... just 2 cars,  a 4-wheeler and a few cards

Message 36 of 39
enharu
Super Contributor

i would call and re-explain the whole thing. i still don't see how your balances are resulting in you getting declined.

even with your car payments factored in, you still make way more than enough to pay off that balance being reported.

i guess you could try explain that your house is a paid off (asset), and that you have xxxx in your checkings/savings, and u could have paid it off instantly if you wanted. 

And explain you want their card because you want to do business with them, and develop a banking relationship with them over time, not that you're gonna bomb the card with a big balance. 

Message 37 of 39
solxp
Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@solxp wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

Ive done alot of reading and was currious what the concensous was. do they black list or not? I had an AF card with them back in 2004 when being deployed they added the af, then interest, then late fees, then lowered the limit, then over the limit fees etc. over 18 months later when I get home and see this and call in horor. I sued under the Servicemembers relief act and won. It was deleted from CRA but they sent a nasty gram pretty much saying never apply to me. Im just wondering if anyone has a definate answer yet.

You should be fine. The SCRA which is law clearly prohibits the actions which Discover took. I ran into a similar situation during the first gulf war when deployed and on my return I was able to clear up several issues with a little time and paperwork. If you were in a designated combat theater of operations then you have even more relief options available.  If the only issues you had with discover are what you stated above and they deny you then I would contact the BBB your local congressman and the Consumer Protection Agency. You might consider trying to get in contact with Discovers executive office before applying and see what they can do for you.
Based on the limited facts you have given I would say they would give you another card if you meet all their other criteria Discover is to big a company to want to risk alienating the public or giving a politician ammo to score some sound bytes on local tv by appearing to be taking advantage of servicemembers.  There have been some huge fines handed down to companies in the past who violated the SCRA.

The SCRA does not have any jurisdiction which mandates any lender to extend credit solely based on a previously settled/litigated issue.  While the OP was successful with settling/fixing the previous disputed situation, the lender as a result has also taken precautionary measures with its underwriting to any individual(s) who have demonstrated to be an adverse risk to the lending institution (e.g. losses, recoveries, fraud, etc).  Essentially, depending on whether Discover decides to extend credit to the OP (provided he/she meets the underwriting criteria) then there is really nothing that the BBB or CPB could do to "force" any lending institution to extend credit solely based on the above reasons.  However, the only way to determine the "blacklist" factor is whenever the OP decides to apply.

. I did state the op would have to me all the criteria to get a card. Discover can not use the fact the op sued them under SCRA as a basis to decline.Creditors cannot change credit contract terms after a service person decides to file a claim through the Act. Making an adverse credit report due to the reduced rate or accelerating the debt to collect the entire amount is also probably in violation of the Act. If a creditor takes actions which can be interpreted as a form of retaliation against a military person because they utilized the reduced interest provisions- the creditor has created cause to cite them for violating the Act. Finally, if a creditor reports negative credit information to a credit reporting agency and they did not reduce the interest rate as provided in the Act, the military person will have strong probable cause to sue them under the provisions of the Civil Relief Act. In addition the credit report can be corrected under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Your correct the BBB can not force any business to do anything and maybe I should have stated it more clearly that what I meant was if the only reason Discover denied the op was based on him having sued them previously and won using the SCRA then filing a complaint with the BBB which could be viewed by anyone could very well cause Discover to do what ever it could to rectify the problem and have the complaint settled/closed with a postive outcome. Contacting his congressman would also help speed up the process if they agreed to look into the situation.

When I had  issues with both my auto and home loan banks refusing to lower my interest rates on my loans during the first gulf war there was not much I could do except tell my wife to keep paying them and once I got home  21 months later I then set about correcting the issue. The first thing I did was write a letter asking why they denied my request for suspension of interest while I was in a active war zone and asked for a refund of the money paid. I provided them with copies of my service record and a letter from my command. They took their time responding and when they did they denied me again. I then contact my congressman Howard Coble and Senator Jessie Helms both of thier offices wrote letters to the bank demanding information. Three days later i had a big fat credit applied to the principle of both my loans and recieved letters from the ceo's of both banks saying how sorry they were over the misunderstanding, NCNB/Nationsbank(now BoA) even reduced my auto loan finance rate to 0 percent for the remainder of the loan.  The whole process took about 2 months ( about 5 days once I contacted my Senator and Congressman's offices) 

Message 38 of 39
swpopham
Established Contributor

@solxp wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@solxp wrote:

@swpopham wrote:

Ive done alot of reading and was currious what the concensous was. do they black list or not? I had an AF card with them back in 2004 when being deployed they added the af, then interest, then late fees, then lowered the limit, then over the limit fees etc. over 18 months later when I get home and see this and call in horor. I sued under the Servicemembers relief act and won. It was deleted from CRA but they sent a nasty gram pretty much saying never apply to me. Im just wondering if anyone has a definate answer yet.

You should be fine. The SCRA which is law clearly prohibits the actions which Discover took. I ran into a similar situation during the first gulf war when deployed and on my return I was able to clear up several issues with a little time and paperwork. If you were in a designated combat theater of operations then you have even more relief options available.  If the only issues you had with discover are what you stated above and they deny you then I would contact the BBB your local congressman and the Consumer Protection Agency. You might consider trying to get in contact with Discovers executive office before applying and see what they can do for you.
Based on the limited facts you have given I would say they would give you another card if you meet all their other criteria Discover is to big a company to want to risk alienating the public or giving a politician ammo to score some sound bytes on local tv by appearing to be taking advantage of servicemembers.  There have been some huge fines handed down to companies in the past who violated the SCRA.

The SCRA does not have any jurisdiction which mandates any lender to extend credit solely based on a previously settled/litigated issue.  While the OP was successful with settling/fixing the previous disputed situation, the lender as a result has also taken precautionary measures with its underwriting to any individual(s) who have demonstrated to be an adverse risk to the lending institution (e.g. losses, recoveries, fraud, etc).  Essentially, depending on whether Discover decides to extend credit to the OP (provided he/she meets the underwriting criteria) then there is really nothing that the BBB or CPB could do to "force" any lending institution to extend credit solely based on the above reasons.  However, the only way to determine the "blacklist" factor is whenever the OP decides to apply.

. I did state the op would have to me all the criteria to get a card. Discover can not use the fact the op sued them under SCRA as a basis to decline.Creditors cannot change credit contract terms after a service person decides to file a claim through the Act. Making an adverse credit report due to the reduced rate or accelerating the debt to collect the entire amount is also probably in violation of the Act. If a creditor takes actions which can be interpreted as a form of retaliation against a military person because they utilized the reduced interest provisions- the creditor has created cause to cite them for violating the Act. Finally, if a creditor reports negative credit information to a credit reporting agency and they did not reduce the interest rate as provided in the Act, the military person will have strong probable cause to sue them under the provisions of the Civil Relief Act. In addition the credit report can be corrected under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Your correct the BBB can not force any business to do anything and maybe I should have stated it more clearly that what I meant was if the only reason Discover denied the op was based on him having sued them previously and won using the SCRA then filing a complaint with the BBB which could be viewed by anyone could very well cause Discover to do what ever it could to rectify the problem and have the complaint settled/closed with a postive outcome. Contacting his congressman would also help speed up the process if they agreed to look into the situation.

When I had  issues with both my auto and home loan banks refusing to lower my interest rates on my loans during the first gulf war there was not much I could do except tell my wife to keep paying them and once I got home  21 months later I then set about correcting the issue. The first thing I did was write a letter asking why they denied my request for suspension of interest while I was in a active war zone and asked for a refund of the money paid. I provided them with copies of my service record and a letter from my command. They took their time responding and when they did they denied me again. I then contact my congressman Howard Coble and Senator Jessie Helms both of thier offices wrote letters to the bank demanding information. Three days later i had a big fat credit applied to the principle of both my loans and recieved letters from the ceo's of both banks saying how sorry they were over the misunderstanding, NCNB/Nationsbank(now BoA) even reduced my auto loan finance rate to 0 percent for the remainder of the loan.  The whole process took about 2 months ( about 5 days once I contacted my Senator and Congressman's offices) 

Thats pretty much in a nutshell how it went for us too.. its sad that we have to fight for freedom and support from our home land. Chase and NFCU has taken care of us. And I intend to let everyone know that too

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.