Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover it

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: discover it

From what I can see it might be better for you to wait.  Your scores are a little low and the accounts you have listed don't indicate that they have been open for at least a year for each.  I would think you would be better off waiting until at least the one year mark on your middle opened card.  I know that Discover is a good card to have, but sometimes it is best to wait it out a bit.  I had to recon for my Discover.  Some factors which caused this were that I had a deliquent, but correct student loan which went into default.  At the time of the app it was about three years old.  (If you have no negatives, your chances do go up!)  I also had a few inquiries, about 12 at the time I think.  I also had a few new accounts, they were about 6 months old at the time.  When I reconned I did not get the best terms, rate, etc. as were advertised, but I was simply happy to get the card. 

The account is now 1 year 2 months old.  I also had to recon for a CLI.  I started out with a $1K limit and PIF every month, but they still relied somewhat on the initial and soft pulls for a new limit.  I had checked twice before for a soft pull CLI without any luck.  I took the plunge and was denied, but speaking with an analyst I was able to get a $5K limit.  (It was what I asked for and was basically told that since that is what I asked for that was all I could get.  If I didn't qualify for that, then they would have countered, if I had asked for more I might have gotten it.  Go figure.)  At the time of the recon I still had some other new accounts and many inquiries.  I certainly make sure I maintain this account very well and am happy that I got it.  I can't even get the same love from Chase which was opened at the same time.  In fact I did a HP CLI on that and was denied and could only recon for $500. 

My score at the time of applying was 698. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 14
Peter1142
Established Contributor

They sent me invitations like once a week, but I did the pre qual on their site and it gave me a pre approved offer. Give it a try, can't hurt.

They pulled Eq 08 for me and my score was higher than the 04 flavor. I do believe this is typical.
Message 12 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Is that Discover $150 bonus still floating around? If you can get that, I would app.
Message 13 of 14
devastatah
New Contributor

YMMV but I finally applied after 3 months of getting mailers and was approved I am more excited about the free FICO score than the card itself  

EQ-660 TU- 683 

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.