Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover it

tag
Casandrah
Established Member

discover it

Hi everyone I got an application in the mail today from Discover it.  There is an invitation number but i do not see pre approval. should i go and take the offer or am i going to just take another hit on my score with the credit inquiry

300.00 kohls
300.00 first premier
600.00 Victoria secret
student loans all current
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: discover it

Yes, you will have an HP if you app.  

I should add that I'm not sure about the difference between pre-approval vs pre-qualified, etc., and I don't believe it that it really matters which one it is, so if you do app you are for certain to get an HP.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 14
Casandrah
Established Member

do they send these out to everyone? i guess what i am wondering is it a bulk letter or do they see something on my credit that made them want to send it out to me

300.00 kohls
300.00 first premier
600.00 Victoria secret
student loans all current
Message 3 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Casandrah wrote:

do they send these out to everyone? i guess what i am wondering is it a bulk letter or do they see something on my credit that made them want to send it out to me

no everyone does not get them... you could always go to discovercard.com and check the pre-qual there... If you get offer online too then I would think your chances are pretty good.

Message 4 of 14
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

I was approved two days ago without any mail or being pre-qualified. I just had a gut feeling!
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 5 of 14
jbrown773
Contributor

I get discoverIT offers all the time in my school email and sometimes in the mail. They arent pre-approves and can still denie you. I was denied when I apped them 8 months ago cus from an email offer, cus my scores were too low then . I still get letters and emails but I dont think Ill get approved just yet. 

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

The wife got one of these today and she applied.  She didn't qualify for the 0% intro but did get approved instant.  Her scores are low 600s.  FWIW.  -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 7 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Casandrah wrote:

should i go and take the offer or am i going to just take another hit on my score with the credit inquiry 

As indicated above you're going to take a HP doe applying so it's not either/or as your question states.  As to whether you should app that's up to you to determine and there isn't enough info in you OP to even begin to make a recommendation.  If the card meets your needs/wants and your credit is in good shape then go fo it.  If you're just responding to their marketing then you should probably at least reconsider.  Comment applies to any marketing from any credit.  Don't just respond to them.  Seek the cards you need/want.

Message 8 of 14
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

I got a prescreened offer for Discover IT too but it appears to be the promo that doesn't give the $150 bonus for spending $750 in 3 months.

I'm considering using the $150 bonus promo instead and in preparation I've paid off my 0% card to make my util nicer too but now I'm having second thoughts. I phoned them about having limited credit history but they said you don't know until you app. I know people have been approved the Discover IT as their first card but I'm not sure how far I'll get.

Next:
Message 9 of 14
Shock
Established Contributor

Discover is thirsty. I got like 10 of these mailers in the past month. I'm considering applying just for a balance transfer so I can close out my car loan. But some of the malers have different APR's. What gives?

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.