Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover more eligibility

tag
jenrette
Valued Member

Re: discover more eligibility

REASON: Credit shopping: they didnt like that i was their 3rd choice i suppose. I got approved for 2 other cards and they saw the inquiries.

-- 3/7/09 TU: 759 3/8/09 EQ: 730
Message 11 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@jenrette wrote:
REASON: Credit shopping: they didnt like that i was their 3rd choice i suppose. I got approved for 2 other cards and they saw the inquiries.

There's some truth to that.  When Discover pulled my EQ report,  I had zero inquiries.  Discover was the first I apped with followed by Citi.  Got approved for both the same day in July.  I then waited until August and apped with Kroger, HSBC AMEX, Sears and PenFed and got approved for the.  Nordstrom denied me for too many inquiries.  I knew then it was time to stop apping and haven't apped for anything since then. 

Message 12 of 20
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@jenrette wrote:

I wondered if that wasn't why...when you said that you have already had 2 new inquiries and cards in 2010.

I like to spread them out at least every 6 months. I know...it's hard to wait sometimes. Especially when you're on a roll.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LynetteM wrote:

I like to spread them out at least every 6 months. I know...it's hard to wait sometimes. Especially when you're on a roll.

Reminds me.....BofA (a whole different animal, granted) questioned DH's new accounts from last July (same time he opened BofA) (but we're talking 8 months here) when he was checking for a CLI.  They said they like to see 12-18 months age on those accounts.  I swear sometimes I'd rather close them than hang around long enough to keep 'em happy.  But we'll hang in there.  (Hope that's not a threadjack).

Message 14 of 20
jenrette
Valued Member

Alright so my mother applied and got approved, but she had to call in. Her scores are in the high 700's / low 800's and about 30 / 35 % UTIL.

When she called in they forced the credit protect product on her three times and all three times she said no. Then after that the representative said, "Well since we want you to be protected make sure you state you don't want the credit protection when you activate the card."

She told him that if this was the case then for Discover to NOT send the card because she was tired of arguing, and he wasn't "getting it". He ended up apologizing once more and told her she was approved for $2,500 - all her other cards are around 15k - 20k.

-- Oh, almost forgot this part. They stated that they were recording the call! 

Message Edited by jenrette on 03-08-2010 12:40 PM

-- 3/7/09 TU: 759 3/8/09 EQ: 730
Message 15 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@jenrette wrote:

Alright so my mother applied and got approved, but she had to call in. Her scores are in the high 700's / low 800's and about 30 / 35 % UTIL.

When she called in they forced the credit protect product on her three times and all three times she said no. Then after that the representative said, "Well since we want you to be protected make sure you state you don't want the credit protection when you activate the card."

She told him that if this was the case then for Discover to NOT send the card because she was tired of arguing, and he wasn't "getting it". He ended up apologizing once more and told her she was approved for $2,500 - all her other cards are around 15k - 20k.

-- Oh, almost forgot this part. They stated that they were recording the call! 

Message Edited by jenrette on 03-08-2010 12:40 PM

Congrats to your mom. All calls are recorded for training purposes.  

Message 16 of 20
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@jenrette wrote:

She needs to get used to saying no. They will even call her up and try to sell it to her. Every call she makes to them they will try to sell it to her.

Just say no.

Message 17 of 20
rosa29617
New Contributor

I'm sorry...What is credit protection product??? And why would anyone not want it?

Message 18 of 20
farmgirljen
Valued Member

it is an additional fee they tack onto your card each moonth- They call here all the time trying to get DH to get it- and he closed his accounts withthem a couple of years ago-

Starting Score: EQ 581,NO TU
Current Score: TU 676, EQ 663 EX 653
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consumer Reports, MSN Money, and any other financial writers I read will tell you that all these extended warrantees and insurances are not worth the money; that if you paid for all these they would cast you more than you a mint and in the end it is way cheaper to take the occasional hit than it is to pay all these extras. These are money in someone elses pockets, not yours and that is why they are the newest thing banks and retail are trying to force on you with vigor. Stick a $500 bill in a close savings account and drop ALL these add-ons.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.