Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover reduced limit

tag
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: discover reduced limit

idmd, I'm not making a judgement here.  I'm sorry if it came across that way to you.  With all the adverse actions being taken by these banks, I'm trying to find the safe path through this minefield, and to do that, I'm trying to look at what might make the bank nervous, from its point of view.  I believe that a high utilization along with just minimum payments for a period of time makes a bank nervous enough to limit it's risk and CLD an account.  That is all I'm saying, and it's just an educated guess at best anyways.

And of course you are right when you say there is no rhyme or reason for many of these adverse actions.  But some things may just put someone on the radar for an AA, and we're trying to figure out what those things are.  No judgements here whatsoever.

Edit:  BTW, because of your post, I re-read something I posted in another thread.  When I did, it seemed to me that I was being judgemental in that particular post, so I deleted it, even though I feel my advice may have helped.   So I thank you for a reminder that even with the best of intentions, judgemental opinions have no place on these boards. 

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 12-16-2009 07:41 AM
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

idmd, I'm not making a judgement here.  I'm sorry if it came across that way to you.  With all the adverse actions being taken by these banks, I'm trying to find the safe path through this minefield, and to do that, I'm trying to look at what might make the bank nervous, from its point of view.  I believe that a high utilization along with just minimum payments for a period of time makes a bank nervous enough to limit it's risk and CLD an account.  That is all I'm saying, and it's just an educated guess at best anyways.

And of course you are right when you say there is no rhyme or reason for many of these adverse actions.  But some things may just put someone on the radar for an AA, and we're trying to figure out what those things are.  No judgements here whatsoever.  

No I'm sorry if you thought my response was directed specifically at your post - it wasn't and it isn't my intent to single it out.
It's a common attitude here that we are at the mercy of the CCCs and I completely understand where it comes from although I don't agree it's the only way. Many people here are relying on their credit to pay bills, rebuild credit, etc, etc, etc and it's frustrating to have the rules of the game changed when it's no fault of your own. With the economy the way it is it's also easier to go along with the changes because making changes may have an adverse outcome on your credit. I just wanted to give an alternative interpretation of what's going on.
From my point-of-view I refuse to be bullied by CCCs and I will not do business with companies who do this to customers (regardless of whether or not it impacts me personally) and  I don't want people to blame themselves or feel helpless if it happens to them. Credit is a product you pay for like any other product. If you bought a Dodge and it didn't live up to your expectations you probably wouldn't buy another Dodge. If you use a credit product and it doesn't live up to you expectations why would you continue to use it (yes I know it's not apples to apples and not everyone is as free as I am to make these decisions but you get the point). 
 What's weird is people form a personal attachment to their credit products and a strong loyalty as well. I can assure you most of these CCCs do not have ANY loyalty to you. You are number and if your credit profile matches a predetermined number a little computer spits out your RJ or CLD and that's that.
You can find posts where I talk about USAA/PenFed credit products and how happy I am with customer service, rewards, etc but make no mistake that if USAA or Penfed's products do not make good business sense in my life, or they change terms to a point where I can no longer use them as intended then see ya! My loyalty  to these companies goes about as far as how they treat me today and it's - "what have you done for me lately!?"
Diatribe over…... 

P.S. - I don't think you're being judgmental and I would change any posts! ALL of these points are useful for the sake of discussion. They just differing views and that's what this board is about.

P.S. #2 - My first post was a little grumpy as it was before any coffee made it to my lips. The second post was written after my second cup Smiley Happy 

Message Edited by idmd on 12-16-2009 07:53 AM
Message Edited by idmd on 12-16-2009 07:56 AM
Message Edited by idmd on 12-16-2009 07:59 AM
Message 12 of 32
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

idmd wrote:  My first post was a little grumpy as it was before any coffee made it to my lips. The second post was written after my second cup Smiley Happy 

DW knows there's a two-cup minimum for me before she can speak, ask, approach...whatever.  So, I know the mode..no problem!  :smileyvery-happy: 

Message 13 of 32
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The combintation of high UTIL and minimum payments has always been a recipe for AA. This is nothing new. All issuers examine strength of payment. If you are carrying a significant balance and not paying 5% to 6% of it per month you are starting down that slippery slope. I do carry a few balances (on BT's, total UTIL about 8%) and make sure I pay at least 5% or more of the balance every month. I have had no AA problems at all.
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
The combintation of high UTIL and minimum payments has always been a recipe for AA. This is nothing new. All issuers examine strength of payment. If you are carrying a significant balance and not paying 5% to 6% of it per month you are starting down that slippery slope. I do carry a few balances (on BT's, total UTIL about 8%) and make sure I pay at least 5% or more of the balance every month. I have had no AA problems at all.
But there are exceptions. During the end of residency and before I had a real job I carried as much as $20500.00 on my USAA MC when my CL was $21K. This built up over a two year time period and for the last 7 or 8 months I was at $20.5K making only minimum payments. My credit score was low because I have a tremendous amount of debt, I had two kids and a wife at home living at the poverty level. That CC has been PIF since summer and I never received a change in APR or CLD. As a matter of fact USAA gave me their Amex with 21K limit on it just a few months ago. 
 I do business with USAA because I expect them to live up to their end of the agreement and they do! In return I live up to my end too. They extended me that CL, they made some nice money off that loan and in return I repaid every last penny. Unless things drastically change they have me as a customer for the rest of my life as far as I'm concerned because I know they play fair. 

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not taking sides with the consumer or the bank here but lets not forget our elected officials are part to blame. The credit card ACT that was passed and is going into effect is playing part in this. These companies are having to ratejack to compensate for the actions they will have to take to comply with this ACT. And with the recession we are in and all of the defaults they are just trying to cover their butts at this point. We have went to long on the days of yeah sure heres 10K, 15K, 25K on a card. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Alot use these responsibly.. and thats not a problem. But then you get Joe Schmo who makes $48K a year and his wife Sally who makes $40K a year. Combined $88K they have a decent house w/ mortgage and two cars with car payments. Now lets look at their 10 credit cards. Some store cards and some bank cards. Well Joe gets laid off due to the recession. Now their $88K is $40K. This doesnt cover the home, 2 cars, and monthly living like food and utilities. They have savings and make it 6 months and now savings are depleted and Joe hasnt had luck replacing his income. Now lets say their 10 cards equal a $50K limit. They know Joe will find work so they will just have to start charging some expenses to cards while he finds a job. Well 6 more months and Joe has no job and each month with more charges the card minimum payments have risen and the cards are almost maxed out. They are not able to make all card payments, mortgage, and two auto loans. They dont want to lose their house and cars so now they fall behind on credit card payments. Interest rates climb and late fees ad on and the credit card payments are no longer manageable. They have no choice but to list their home for sale and try to get a smaller home for the time being. Well everyone else is in the same position so the home isnt selling. They are behind on the mortgage and autos. The credit cards have been abandoned and are now charged off and their foreclosure is coming.

I think I can stop here. These companies are trying to keep this from happening as everytime someone defaults they eat that loss. In this economic climate everyone is nervous. And I think these companies have every right to be nervous and to try to bring in some of their avaible credit and bring their books down. And they are all using risk models to help find accounts to credit limit decrease and some are just cutting across the board. There are many users here who have had no issues and are losing thousands in credit limits. It sucks for us sometimes but I think we need to see both sides here. The credit bubble has grown to big and finally has burst. Now changes have to be made.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
But there are exceptions. During the end of residency and before I had a real job I carried as much as $20500.00 on my USAA MC when my CL was $21K. This built up over a two year time period and for the last 7 or 8 months I was at $20.5K making only minimum payments. My credit score was low because I have a tremendous amount of debt, I had two kids and a wife at home living at the poverty level. That CC has been PIF since summer and I never received a change in APR or CLD. As a matter of fact USAA gave me their Amex with 21K limit on it just a few months ago. 
 I do business with USAA because I expect them to live up to their end of the agreement and they do! In return I live up to my end too. They extended me that CL, they made some nice money off that loan and in return I repaid every last penny. Unless things drastically change they have me as a customer for the rest of my life as far as I'm concerned because I know they play fair. 

Yes there are exceptions but this could have easily went the other way. What if while you were at $20.5K you lost your job. You probably would have paid as long as you could but ultimately your roof, transportation, and food and clothing for your kids will come first. The credit cards are the easiest to "let go" in rough times. That was risky. Yes you held to your agreement and paid off and thats good but disaster could have struck and then USAA would have had to write off at least part of that $21K. It is a gamble for them. They loan money and make money off repayment. But repayment doesnt always come and usually not because of bad people but bad things happen to good people and it hurts. But its reality.
Message 17 of 32
solidusEE

thanks for all the responses

i'm just gonna pay the balance in full and close the account

the simple fact that they reduced it, without at least a heads up, and so that it goes beneath my balance

that's just purely unethical

i can't handle that, so f u discover

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@solidusEE wrote:

the simple fact that they reduced it, without at least a heads up, and so that it goes beneath my balance

+1 

One of the most rational thoughts of I heard on here in quite a while... If you personally don't like they way a company does business, don't be a customer.  Kudos!

Message 19 of 32
DI
Super Contributor

@solidusEE wrote:

That's a very bad idea.  Something is better than nothing. 

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.