cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discovermore: what is their rewards system?

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

discovermore: what is their rewards system?

I'm new to discovermore and confused about their rewards system (mostly was interested in their 0% APR promo, have chase freedom/checking for rewards).

How does their rewards break down? Is it 5% on some categories, .25% (changing to 1% after 3k purchases) on others, nothing in between?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: discovermore: what is their rewards system?

True, nothing in between. They give you 0.25% till you hit 3K mark, after that 1%.

Message 2 of 9
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

.25% until you spend $3000 then it's 1%. If you buy stuff at discount or warehouse club stores (i.e. Wal-mart, Sam's Club) it's always .25%.

The 5% categories every quarter are on up to $1,500 dollars in purchases which will net you $75 cash back.

Online shopping through discover.com's "Shop Discover" nets you 5% to 20% depending on the store. 

Cash can be redeemed at $50. If you have less than that you can also redeem for gift cards and merchandise. Also you can link your Amazon account and pay for merchandise with your cashback as well.

Message 3 of 9
compassion101
Established Contributor

cool, thanks for the info. What's the 5% this quarter and do I need to register for it?

Message 4 of 9
compassion101
Established Contributor

nm I see it now, gas stations, amusement parks and movies and I am signed up. Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 9
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

Not sure if it was clearly stated here, but technically it's .25% on the first $3k, and then 1% on all transactions after the first $3k. It doesn't literallly switch to 1%. So, for example if you spent $10k this year, you would wind up with -

$3k @ .25% = $7.50

$7k @ 1% = $70

Total $77.50

Anyone feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

Message 6 of 9
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

They have some 2% rewards as well. Right now, you get 2% cashback earnings if you use auto pay for certain TV/cable/wireless bills.

Also, the 5% purchases don't count towards your annual $3k requirement to go from 0.25% to 1%, which stinks. At this point, I'm only using my Discover for the 2% and up reward categories. Anything else goes on my Chase Amazon Visa, for 1% earnings.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 7 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

The Shop Discover feature is very nice offering a range of 10 -15% cashback on many online merchants.

Also, the cash over purchase at participating merchants is a nice touch.  I use this feature rather than my atm card.  Also, they have some payment sites such as chargesmart who will waive the transaction fee when using a Discover.

Regular spending is certainly not this card's most attractive feature.

Message 8 of 9
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

The current rotating rewards category is gas and theme parks/ movies. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.