cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disputing 'high balance' amount (but love USAA)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

disputing 'high balance' amount (but love USAA)

I pulled my annual free reports over the weekend and see that USAA is reporting a limit to all three that exceeds my limit.  I have used Quicken for years and according to my records, this is not accurate.

I called USAA and the very friendly rep couldn't see it either and no overlimit fees ever charged. 

So, 2 questions:

• Does this affect my score?  if so, I should have it corrected.  So, next question....
  • What's the best way to do this?  USAA rep said I could do it on the annualcredrep.com site but I read here that's nto as good.  Do I dispute it with all 3 agencies or will just one prompt USAA to report the accurate info to all 3? 
  • Shouldn't I be able to take care of this with USAA directly?  I really like USAA and thought, especially since the rep seemed to confirm that it's inaccurate, they would be able to take care of it from there end.  Seems a little silly to go about this via the CRAs rather than directly to the source.  Makes me feel like a tattle-tale.

Thanks for your sage advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Established Contributor

Re: disputing 'high balance' amount (but love USAA)

@Anonymous wrote:

I pulled my annual free reports over the weekend and see that USAA is reporting a limit to all three that exceeds my limit. 

I don't think reporting a higher limit than you actually have hurts your credit score. Can you ask USAA to raise your credit limit higher than the erroneous one that the bureaus report?

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: disputing 'high balance' amount (but love USAA)

As mentioned, it isn't hurting your score at all. And don't dispute; USAA could drop off your reports. At the very least, the balance and CL will be removed from scoring during the dispute and if it helps your utilization, your score would drop.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.