Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do chase UR points expire?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: do chase UR points expire?

I have used my UR points at chase travel several times since getting CSP and have had freedom for several years. I will probably take at least a couple of trips this year and want to keep the points for that. Right now I am at 7000 and use both cards a lot. I like the 20 pct premium at chase travel. Just want to make sure the points will stay on the account. First CSP AF due next month. Points will almost cover AF but I would rather save them for travel.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes is the answer to the original question. 

Message 13 of 18
supervelous
Regular Contributor

why not let them sit there?  I have over 230,000 UR points, and thinking of applying for CSP with 40K sign on bonus to bring me to close to 275,000.  What is the danger?  I haven't taken any big vacations last couple years and want to save these for my honeymoon sometime in next year.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I do take a lot of trips and like saving a few bucks on each with the UR points. Mom lives in AZ and I'm in Oregon. I also went to Alaska. By the way, the CSP sign up is 50k now for $4k spend, so with all your points that can be transferred to that good travel card maybe it's time to apply. Congrats on your engagement.
Message 15 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@supervelous wrote:

why not let them sit there?  I have over 230,000 UR points, and thinking of applying for CSP with 40K sign on bonus to bring me to close to 275,000.  What is the danger?  I haven't taken any big vacations last couple years and want to save these for my honeymoon sometime in next year.

The risk is simply that an issuer may close the card and you may then forfeit all unredeemed points.    Now if you are "good" this risk is small, but mistakes can happen and also things you might think are OK may turn out not to be.  (For example, in  the case of URs, Chase has got very aggressive about closing accounts of those that transfer them to others outside of the very narrow permitted transfers)

Then as referred to upthread, you might find out when it is time to redeem that you now need many more miles than you expected.   For special things like a honeymoon, you may not have options, but in other cases taking trips as you accrue the miles can avoid this problem.

And also you are sitting on the cash equivalent of $2300 (worth more for travel) so there is also a small opportunity cost of letting them sit there

Message 16 of 18
supervelous
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@supervelous wrote:

The risk is simply that an issuer may close the card and you may then forfeit all unredeemed points.    Now if you are "good" this risk is small, but mistakes can happen and also things you might think are OK may turn out not to be.  (For example, in  the case of URs, Chase has got very aggressive about closing accounts of those that transfer them to others outside of the very narrow permitted transfers)

Then as referred to upthread, you might find out when it is time to redeem that you now need many more miles than you expected.   For special things like a honeymoon, you may not have options, but in other cases taking trips as you accrue the miles can avoid this problem.

And also you are sitting on the cash equivalent of $2300 (worth more for travel) so there is also a small opportunity cost of letting them sit there

Good points.  I have a high FICO, good income and no debt so I don't think I'm in danger of being shut down.  If I was to lose my job, I'd immediately cash in for cash into my Chase checking account for the $2,300.  Just been saving them since transfer to travel partners yields the most value, much more than cash value.

Message 17 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have used my UR points at chase travel several times since getting CSP and have had freedom for several years. I will probably take at least a couple of trips this year and want to keep the points for that. Right now I am at 7000 and use both cards a lot. I like the 20 pct premium at chase travel. Just want to make sure the points will stay on the account. First CSP AF due next month. Points will almost cover AF but I would rather save them for travel.

If you are redeeming through Chase Travel, the Devaluation discussion is different. Chase Travel is already at 1.2c per point, lower than a lot of transfer options, and yes, not immediately subject to the same types of devaluation. 

And FWIW, 7,000 UR points doesn't get much value. You might get certain Hyatt hotels, or maybe one short leg of a BA flight, but even those are getting rarer.

Nothing wrong with redeeming on Chase Travel, particularly since airlines seem to be driving toward 1c per point values anyway.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.