cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you need to open checking and savings w/USAA to apply for their cc?

tag
crivas21
Contributor

do you need to open checking and savings w/USAA to apply for their cc?

do you need to open checking and savings w/USAA to apply for their cc? im asking this cause tomorrow  im gonna join and apply for their cc.is it easier if i do it online or should i call them up.and how fast can you apply after opening checking and savings.my equifax is 777 so what kind of credit line can i expect.thanks for the awesome help everybody!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score: 07/30/2007--EQ 575/ TU 560
Current Score: 01/18/2011--EQ 777/TU 765/EXP 763-(pull by CU)
Goal Score for 06/31/2011--EQ 800/TU 800/EXP 800

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: do you need to open checking and savings w/USAA to apply for their cc?

I was approved for a USAA secured card with them and all I have is USAA-CCMP.

Message 2 of 9
crivas21
Contributor

thanks for the reply but i think you have to get checking and savings open before applying for cc.any help please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crivas21 wrote:

thanks for the reply but i think you have to get checking and savings open before applying for cc.any help please?

No, you do not have to have a checking or savings account.  At least for full members, as long as you have a member number you can try applying.

I was pre-approved for their AmEx long, long before I ever used any of their banking services.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crivas21 wrote:

do you need to open checking and savings w/USAA to apply for their cc? im asking this cause tomorrow  im gonna join and apply for their cc.is it easier if i do it online or should i call them up.and how fast can you apply after opening checking and savings.my equifax is 777 so what kind of credit line can i expect.thanks for the awesome help everybody!!!

what tier member are you?  (military, family of military, non-military?)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@crivas21 wrote:

what tier member are you?  (military, family of military, non-military?)

Yes, your membership tier makes a big difference in not only what products you are eligible for, but also in credit approvals & terms.  Not sure if it makes a difference in whether or not you need to have a checking and savings account first before applying for a credit card, but then again it might.

Message 6 of 9
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I am not eligible for full membership but applied and received their Platinum Mastercard with a CL of $14,200. 

I have neither checking nor savings with them. 

When the card arrived, the APR was 18.9%; no BT offer, nothing.  I called (twice), to request a lower APR and was told that for non-full-members, the 18.9% was the best they had to offer.

Nice credit line but just another sock-drawer card as far as I'm concerned.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
crivas21
Contributor

i am non military,so i dont have to open any checking or savings.i can just apply for cc without being a member?

Message 8 of 9
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

That's what I did.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.