cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone ever request a cli if there is a balance on the card?

tag
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

Re: does anyone ever request a cli if there is a balance on the card?

I do it all the time and except for cap 1 It usually works great. GE loves balances.

Message 11 of 18
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@dominow wrote:

i was curious. would that throw a flag to the ccc? iwould not have more than 30% util on that card and around 14 util overall.

I don't know how much it matters, but I always have a $0 balance before I ask for a CLI, anf have less than a 10% total utilization.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 12 of 18
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I had a 70% util on Discover when I got my CLI finally approved..... have been turned town numerous times with 0% util before (always PIF).....but I guess Discover is a very strange bird...LOL

Message 13 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dominow wrote:

does anyone ever request a cli if there is a balance on the card?

Sure they do.  I have.  Whether one gets a CLI or not isn't just about the balance on the card though.

Message 14 of 18
MrChairman
Established Contributor

I just got a 3K CLI to 10K from BoA. Util was at about 98%. I've had a bank account with them since '05 however. Not my primary account.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
phonic
Contributor

Agree that it's all YMMV.

Some banks rely more heavily on what your CR says when you request a CLI, others care more about your existing relationship with them.

I always PIF after the statement cuts, and routinely have 10-30% utilization report on some cards (<10% overall utilization). In fact, when I got a $6k CLI from Chase on my CSP, my statement balance for that month was almost 75% (yes I know, not the ideal situation, but I've never had an issue). 

In my most recent example, I had a ~$2500 statement balance post on my $10k CL Amex BCP, PIF'd the day after, and within a week had about $1000 back on it. I requested a CLI to $30k, with this balance on the card, and was instantly approved. I've also had a 4 year relationship with Amex and have put through a ton of charges on other cards with a stellar track record. 

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 16 of 18
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Agree that it's all YMMV.

Some banks rely more heavily on what your CR says when you request a CLI, others care more about your existing relationship with them.

I always PIF after the statement cuts, and routinely have 10-30% utilization report on some cards (<10% overall utilization). In fact, when I got a $6k CLI from Chase on my CSP, my statement balance for that month was almost 75% (yes I know, not the ideal situation, but I've never had an issue). 

In my most recent example, I had a ~$2500 statement balance post on my $10k CL Amex BCP, PIF'd the day after, and within a week had about $1000 back on it. I requested a CLI to $30k, with this balance on the card, and was instantly approved. I've also had a 4 year relationship with Amex and have put through a ton of charges on other cards with a stellar track record. 

I tend to think having a balance is an advantage to getting CLI approved.  The variable is how much balance?  

I recently had AMEX reporting $1500 balance and was instantly approved for 3XCLI.  

Those that dont carry a balance and desiring CLI must be prepared to answer, "Why do you need an increase when you dont show a need?"  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 17 of 18
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

As others have said, it depends on the issuer. Back in the day when I wasn't credit-informed, I carried balances on ALL my cards and got lots of auto CLIs. I didn't know then that you could actually request a CLI. That was a long time ago. LOL! Discover doesn't seem to want to give me a CLI with or without a balance. Well, to be accurate, they want to a hard pull and I refuse. I may eventually cancel it, if the CL doesn't move on UP! I barely use it now, and always PIF. Those who show me the luv, get my luv.

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.