does best buy convert cards?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: does best buy convert cards?

@mxp114 wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

IMO it's better to have the store card!

Why is it better? The only advantage the store card had over the RZMC were the financing options but now that the RZMC also gets them, I think the MasterCard is much better due to global acceptance and the Premier Silver status + the extra points bonus.

higher CLs, for one.  & i have premier silver status on my card as well.  i personally don't need any more mastercards, it seems like i only have 1 or 2 visas!

Message 11 of 25
mxp114
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

The store card can give much higher CL's.

Most (not all) of their bank cards are rebuilding cards that won't grow.

It takes higher scores and cleaner reports to get the store card.

RZMC can go as high as $25,000 according to the HSBC Credit Dept

There is a prime version of the card with a much lower APR and all the financing offers of the store card with frequent CLI's.

Why would that be when they are both exactly the same minus the global acceptance of the RZMC? I think that used to be true but now the RZMC has financing too.

Message 12 of 25
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

higher CLs, for one.  & i have premier silver status on my card as well.  i personally don't need any more mastercards, it seems like i only have 1 or 2 visas!

I think most people get stuck with the $100-$500 RZMC Gold with 22% APR $59 AF but there is a Prime Platinum RZMC with min CL of $5000, 17% $0 AF + financing offers that the store card gets. Only the RZMC gives you Premier Silver status for spending $2500 anywhere your MasterCard is accepted, so this alone is a much better offer than the store card IMHO.

Message 13 of 25
laz98
Senior Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

I think most people get stuck with the $100-$500 RZMC Gold with 22% APR $59 AF but there is a Prime Platinum RZMC with min CL of $5000, 17% $0 AF + financing offers that the store card gets. Only the RZMC gives you Premier Silver status for spending $2500 anywhere your MasterCard is accepted, so this alone is a much better offer than the store card IMHO.

i bet a lot of people will be glad to hear that they are not locked into that low CL 100%.  at least there's a chance that you could be better!  Smiley Happy

as i mentioned before, though, i also have premier silver status on my store card, so that's one less difference between the 2 cards.  i suppose it's easier to keep your premier silver status if you are using your card everywhere, but it wouldn't be my primary card if i had one, so i guess it wouldn't make a difference for me.

Message 14 of 25
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

i bet a lot of people will be glad to hear that they are not locked into that low CL 100%.  at least there's a chance that you could be better!  Smiley Happy

as i mentioned before, though, i also have premier silver status on my store card, so that's one less difference between the 2 cards.  i suppose it's easier to keep your premier silver status if you are using your card everywhere, but it wouldn't be my primary card if i had one, so i guess it wouldn't make a difference for me.

Yeah I think it is a great card personally but understand how frustrating it can be with the lack of growth with HSBC products. In fact I have a $500 Gold that wouldn't grow, so I just apped for a new one in Sept and got the Platinum RZMC.

My point about Premier Silver is that you can earn itwith only having to spend $2500 for people that want the status/benefits but don't spend $2500 per year at BB Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@mxp114 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

The store card can give much higher CL's.

Most (not all) of their bank cards are rebuilding cards that won't grow.

It takes higher scores and cleaner reports to get the store card.

RZMC can go as high as $25,000 according to the HSBC Credit Dept

There is a prime version of the card with a much lower APR and all the financing offers of the store card with frequent CLI's.

Why would that be when they are both exactly the same minus the global acceptance of the RZMC? I think that used to be true but now the RZMC has financing too.

I realize that somewhere on this planet, someone has a high-limit BB RZMC. That's why I wrote "(not all)" in my post.

But they're awfully rare, and most of the time, the CL on the store card is higher than that of the MC. Over the years, there have been a ton of posts by frustrated MC holders. I was speaking to that. Smiley Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 25
Nightfallx
New Contributor

my store card is 1300$ and i seem to be stuck there ATM

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 17 of 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Up until about 2 months ago I would say 95% of people wanted Store Card and got countered MC or like me years ago took the MC because it was pre-approved... I got lucky to get the Gold with "No Annual Fee" so I keep it but have only got 1 CLI from $300-$600.

Very few of us have seen CL's on MC above $1500 let alone into the 5+k lines... However Store card has always given good CL's and VERY Nice CLI.

However now with the special financing and Silver status etc. MC isn't that terrible anymore but once again we (me) have the issue of not having a CL that I can do a thing with....

Cap1, HSBC are very similar in that if you have a $5k+ CL you are probably not getting turned down for CLI on a regular basis but if you fall into the rebuilder side of the bank you can just kiss that idea away except for like 2% of the lucky ones!

Message 18 of 25
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I realize that somewhere on this planet, someone has a high-limit BB RZMC. That's why I wrote "(not all)" in my post.

But they're awfully rare, and most of the time, the CL on the store card is higher than that of the MC. Over the years, there have been a ton of posts by frustrated MC holders. I was speaking to that. Smiley Happy

I know you said "not all," but I never stated otherwise. A few people posted that the store card is better and I asked why, I then outlined why the store card is no longer better especially due to the financing now available on the RZMC. Select prime RZMC offer additional benefits plus a lower APR than the store card, so I don't see how the store card could be better. That's all I was saying Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 25
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Up until about 2 months ago I would say 95% of people wanted Store Card and got countered MC or like me years ago took the MC because it was pre-approved... I got lucky to get the Gold with "No Annual Fee" so I keep it but have only got 1 CLI from $300-$600.

Very few of us have seen CL's on MC above $1500 let alone into the 5+k lines... However Store card has always given good CL's and VERY Nice CLI.

However now with the special financing and Silver status etc. MC isn't that terrible anymore but once again we (me) have the issue of not having a CL that I can do a thing with....

Cap1, HSBC are very similar in that if you have a $5k+ CL you are probably not getting turned down for CLI on a regular basis but if you fall into the rebuilder side of the bank you can just kiss that idea away except for like 2% of the lucky ones!

Yeah I also got the counter offer for the RZMC Gold with $59 >_< Waited six months, no luck on CLI. So I applied and got a $5k RZMC then got a CLI the next week for another $1k. I'm very happy with the card, especially with the new exclusive offers they send out recently and the financing, which was previously a store card exclusive. I also notice that I always get US based reps whereas previously and on my other HSBC, usually outside US.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.