cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does paying CC twice a month increase score?

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

does paying CC twice a month increase score?

Does paying your CC twice a month increase your score OR is it just the same paying in full once a month?  From what I've learned here, pay in full every month to avoid any interest rates BUT leave xxx amount on bill to show the CC you are using it in hopes of a CLI?  Just want to verify. I know this is discussed numerous places but there seems to not be a concensus on which is better.  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: does paying CC twice a month increase score?

It helps keep your uti low. therefore it does help because it keeps your income to bebt ratio low Smiley Very Happy 

ths.jpg

And why just pay twice ... Smiley Happy

Hope it helps!

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jwright343 wrote:

Does paying your CC twice a month increase your score OR is it just the same paying in full once a month?  From what I've learned here, pay in full every month to avoid any interest rates BUT leave xxx amount on bill to show the CC you are using it in hopes of a CLI?  Just want to verify. I know this is discussed numerous places but there seems to not be a concensus on which is better.  

Only if you're maxing it out.

Message 3 of 16
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Yes and no, depending on your credit profile (or "credit bucket" you are in).

Message 4 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jwright343 wrote:

Does paying your CC twice a month increase your score OR is it just the same paying in full once a month? The answer is no, the balance that gets reported on the statement cycle date (or whatever date they use to report) is what matters From what I've learned here, pay in full every month to avoid any interest rates BUT leave xxx amount on bill to show the CC you are using it in hopes of a CLI? Internally to that creditor only it may help with getting CLIs. Just want to verify. I know this is discussed numerous places but there seems to not be a concensus on which is better.  

Message 5 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@jwright343 wrote:

Not a consensus? You don't think there's a consensus? Smiley Tongue So you ask a generalized question in hopes of finding that consensus? After four pages of this thread, you will know the parties in each corner by their blackened eyes and the blood under their fingernails. You will never see a consensus on this topic, so you just have to make your own choices.

I think it's a waste of time myself, paying multiple times a month and before statement cuts, and that's all I'm going to say.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

Not a consensus? You don't think there's a consensus? Smiley Tongue So you ask a generalized question in hopes of finding that consensus? After four pages of this thread, you will know the parties in each corner by their blackened eyes and the blood under their fingernails. You will never see a consensus on this topic, so you just have to make your own choices.

I think it's a waste of time myself, paying multiple times a month and before statement cuts, and that's all I'm going to say.

Me too, unless i'm really trying to optimize.

Message 7 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@jwright343 wrote:

Paying twice in and of itself has no bearing on your score.   How it affects reported UTIL is what would increase your score.   If you need to pay once on your due date to be timely, but then needed to pay again later to make sure you have an optimal UTIL, then paying twice would definitely improve your scores.    

As has been stated by other posters, many choose not to optimize unless they are apping.   Also, be mindful of a lender's limitations on payments, as some only allow a limited amount of payments through their website for a given statement period.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@jwright343 wrote:

Paying twice in and of itself has no bearing on your score.   How it affects reported UTIL is what would increase your score.   If you need to pay once on your due date to be timely, but then needed to pay again later to make sure you have an optimal UTIL, then paying twice would definitely improve your scores.    

As has been stated by other posters, many choose not to optimize unless they are apping.   Also, be mindful of a lender's limitations on payments, as some only allow a limited amount of payments through their website for a given statement period.  

+1

The reported utilization of your available credit can effect your score. Paying once is just as good as paying twice if you pay down the balance before it is reported (usually around the statement date, but not always the case). Paying twice or more can be helpful if you don't know when your card reports, but the key is to keep the overall utilization on the card low before the day it reports. 

Over 0% and under 10% on one card and zero balances on every other card will help maximize scoring, but unless you are specifically looking for credit, you probably don't need to do this. I let balances up to 30% show on cards if needed because my overall credit file is excellent. If I am planning to apply for something though, I just ensure all my cards report under 10% (too much hassle for me to ensure 1 card under 10% and everything else at 0%). 

Anyway, to clearly answer your question, paying twice a month will not help your score anymore than paying once a month if you pay down your balances right before your card's reporting date. However, paying multiple times might be easier for people who use over 10% of their limit each month and don't want to deal with figuring out when their card reports. 

Message 9 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

Paying CC twice a month does not help to increase your scores.  Each credit card company has a reporting date once a month that they report information to the cb. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.