Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

earn rewards with Bill Pay - SunTrust Delta

tag
aamex
Frequent Contributor

earn rewards with Bill Pay - SunTrust Delta

Hey everyone,

So as some of you may know SunTrust Bank is giving away 30,000 sky miles if you open a checking account with them and have their Delta Skymiles Debit card (75$ AF).

Well, I was analyzing how I could really benefit or maxmize my rewards with this, so in the terms and conditions theres this little blurb:

" The Delta SkyMiles World Check Card earns 1 mile per $1 in PIN Point of Sale and signature-based purchases and 2 miles per $1 in direct Delta purchases. Only PIN Point of Sale and signature-based purchases (including small dollar purchases that do not require a signature), Internet purchases, phone or mail order purchases or automatic bill payments qualify for mileage earnings. Cash advances, cash portion of a PIN POS sale with cash back, ATM transactions, payments for stored-value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, quasi cash, or traveler's cheques do not qualify."

So for me, I use my credit cards for almost everything - But this now ensures I'll get at max rewards for paying all my bills (including credit card, car loan, etc.)

For example, my biggest expense is $1,800 and I pay it using my CSP at 1pt/1$ earning 1,800 points every billing cycle with Chase. Now, through SunTrust  automatic bill payments I can have SunTrust (from my checking account) pay Chase $1,800 earning me 1,800 sky miles. 

Which if done for the next 12 months ... will be 21,600 skymiles with Delta - almost a free flight from just one bill and 21,600 points with Chase  - 270$ if redeemed for travel

The same thing with my car loan which normally is just a direct debit since with most institutions can't pay loans with credit. Now can earn 1 skymile/1$.

Hope this helps - Happy Earnings!

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: earn rewards with Bill Pay - SunTrust Delta

Its a really neat feature that Suntrust offers. I've been doing this for a couple of years now. You can rack up the Miles if you arrange some of your regular expenses/financial expenses the right way. The AF more then pays for itself if you really work it. Hope you have somewhere to travel Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 5
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

What checking account did you open? Their account requirements are a little ridiculous.....having to maintain at least a $3000 balance in order to avoid monthly fees. That is a little out of reach for many people

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 5
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

What checking account did you open? Their account requirements are a little ridiculous.....having to maintain at least a $3000 balance in order to avoid monthly fees. That is a little out of reach for many people

yeah that is high for a non-interest bearing account. but i chose the balanced banking.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 4 of 5
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@tmbr10 wrote:

Its a really neat feature that Suntrust offers. I've been doing this for a couple of years now. You can rack up the Miles if you arrange some of your regular expenses/financial expenses the right way. The AF more then pays for itself if you really work it. Hope you have somewhere to travel Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Wink I have at least 50 options for domestic travel..

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.