Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

economy effects capital one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: economy effects capital one?

Add me to the list who got that stupid "add a card you know you can use" email earlier this week. When I first saw it I got mildly excited that Capital One were finally going to let me turn my card into something that's not almost entirely pointless. Then I figured out it wasn't an offer for any sort of upgrade, just an invitation to let them pull three hard inqs on me and possibly offer me another card just as useless as the one I have now. 

I was hoping that CapOne had finally seen sense and realized that those prime customers they apparently want could actually be the very same ones they've given starter/rebuilder cards to, if only they'd let the account grow with the customer. Sadly not - oh well! Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by fevmlo on 02-07-2009 02:29 PM
Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both my husband and i have capital one cards.  He has a CL of 550 on one and 10000 on another.  I have a CL of 500 and they have not increased it.  Today in the mail I receive a change in the rates telling me that our cards are being changed.  His APR will be 16.7 while mine is going to be 22.4.  Now the funny part of the story is I only ow them about 350.00 and I pay it on time every month and try to pay much more then the amount due and never go over my limit.  The only thing that happened to me was in January when someone used my credit card numbers in Arizona and I am tryingt to get it straightened out.  So they up my APR on me.  My husband on the other hand is always going over his limit but then I pay it right away and bring it down.  it makes no sense to me.  I truly would like to get rid of the card because of this.  I am going to call them and ask why.  They say it is not going to take effect until April.   It hink they are doing this so that once the Federal Govt. ruling takes hold they will not be able to get away with this.  I think that people need to take on Capital One.  Everyone that has a card needs to stop using it and let them not get away with this.  Or work as hard as you can to get it paid off and not use it.  I am so annoyed.  I have been working hard at getting my credit good and now this happens.  Has anyone else had this happen to them. 
Message 22 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't received any emails or 'pre-approval' letters, but I called yesterday for a cli and got shot down. Got the old 'we're a conservative lender and the economy sucks (paraphrased) and we know you're never late, always pay in full or more than minimum, never over your limit... we REALLY like you. But you're sol on the cli, dad!'. But my no a/f card that was supposed to go from 0% to 19% interest in January wound up at 10.4%. Yes, the limit bites, but I don't have any other complaints with them. Yet. I figure, like Addicted, one day I'll check and find a nice cli.
Message 23 of 47
almost_there
Regular Contributor

I just spoke to a superviser at Cap One as recent as Thursday about the Steps program and was assured I'd get my steps increase when my fourth statement closes on Feb 27th. I hope that's the truth. I really need these cards to start growing...I'd be up to $750 if the steps program comes thru.
11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 24 of 47
Comp5569
Regular Contributor

@almost_there wrote:
I just spoke to a superviser at Cap One as recent as Thursday about the Steps program and was assured I'd get my steps increase when my fourth statement closes on Feb 27th. I hope that's the truth. I really need these cards to start growing...I'd be up to $750 if the steps program comes thru.

Did you get a CLI at all between opening your card, and now?  I only ask because my steps was supposed to kick in, and still hasnt.  but I got an CLI after the 2nd month

Message 25 of 47
almost_there
Regular Contributor

I haven't received a cli at all. The card was opened with a cl of $300.
11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 26 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

i called backdoor # again this week(was borred), still no go on CLI, but did find out there's no annual fee on the account.  CSR wasn't helpful at all, asked her how to make this card budge, and actually receive a credit limit increase since i feel it's stuck at 3k and hit it's ceiling.  CSR didn't want to admit anything or give away any info on the account's limits, you could tell though she was freshly trained in not giving any increases...When asked about APR reduction, same answer, it's not available for this account.  Sockdrawer here you go...
Message 27 of 47
YoungInvestor
Valued Member

CapOne card holder for 9 years. $3,000 cl and no increase in 3-4 years. Everytime I call I get shut down.

It's a bitter sweet relationship. Oldest card, can't get rid of it, yet they do nothing for me... ever.

CLI? Not at this time, sir.

% reduction? Nope. Sorry, sir.

Remove baddies? We don't remove correct information, sir.

6 more years until my 2 baddies are gone!

2/2008 - 720

2/2009 - 769

Message 28 of 47
leogirl88
Valued Member

Not sure if anyone knows, but why is it that when you try to apply online for a new credit card, it says that this product is not avaiable in your area. I live in CA, i already have a card with capital one but my boyfriend was trying to apply and everytime he tried to select CA it gave him that response. SO are they just not messing with anyone from CA right now? lol
Message 29 of 47
MattH
Senior Contributor

@leogirl88 wrote:
Not sure if anyone knows, but why is it that when you try to apply online for a new credit card, it says that this product is not avaiable in your area. I live in CA, i already have a card with capital one but my boyfriend was trying to apply and everytime he tried to select CA it gave him that response. SO are they just not messing with anyone from CA right now? lol

Which county in CA?  Perhaps they are avoiding those counties that have been hit particularly hard by the housing market collapse?  According to various national surveys of relevant statistics, around half of the hardest-hit counties are in California.  One such list breaks down the 30 hardest-hit counties in the US as follows:

State

CA 17

FL 5

AZ 3

CO 2

NV 2

OR 1

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.