Reply
Regular Contributor
gijoe4500
Posts: 232
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0

every credit card payment I make is put on hold

Everytime I make a payment to my Paypal Extras Mastercard (GECRB), the payment gets put on hold.  I made a payment for ~$750 on 12/7.  It cleared my bank on 12/10.  Yet they tell me that my payment will be on hold for 9 more days.  Is there any way to avoid payments getting put on hold?  The CSR was no help in telling me how to avoid payments being put on hold.

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
IOBA
Posts: 2,697
Registered: ‎08-13-2009
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold

A payment made on the 12/7 would be credited the next business day which was 12/10.  So that one makes sense to me.

 

Putting the payment on hold for an additional nine days is puzzling unless you are a new customer or paying with a "check" or something similar.  I can see the bank wanting to make sure the payment clears before putting the amount back on your credit limit.  It won't last forever with the bank.

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 21,016
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold


gijoe4500 wrote:

Everytime I make a payment to my Paypal Extras Mastercard (GECRB), the payment gets put on hold.  I made a payment for ~$750 on 12/7.  It cleared my bank on 12/10.  Yet they tell me that my payment will be on hold for 9 more days.  Is there any way to avoid payments getting put on hold?  The CSR was no help in telling me how to avoid payments being put on hold.


Did you go into PayPal and over to your MC account access and make payment there or did you sign in to your bank account and do a bill pay to your PayPal MC?

You need to do Bill Pay from your bank... they will not put holds on those... seems silly to me, both are done electronically so they have the money in the same time but for what ever reason GE and Household/ not sure if Cap1 does too but it's annoying for sure!

Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 696 Walmart, EX 686 Prosper(10-30-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
63 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Regular Contributor
gijoe4500
Posts: 232
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold

Are you sure it won't last forever?  I've been using my Paypal Extras card as my primary card since I received the card in May.  And there hasn't been a single payment that wasn't put on hold.  Would pushing the payment through from USAA's billpay work better than paying through paypal.com?

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl
Posts: 2,108
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold

That's weird. I made a payment to my Discover card last night $930 bucks around 1:30pm and it posted that same night. My credit was available by 7pm that night. I did make the payment through the Discover site and it cleared my bank the next day.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Regular Contributor
gijoe4500
Posts: 232
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold

i see my question was already answered.  I'll start using billpay to push through payments and see what happens.  AmEx, RBFCU, Citi, etc all give me no issues, no matter how many times I pay, or the size of my payment.  But for some reason, GECRB does this on all 3 of my cards with them.  And my Walmart card I have had for 5 years now.

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 21,016
Registered: ‎10-23-2007
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold


maiden_girl wrote:

That's weird. I made a payment to my Discover card last night $930 bucks around 1:30pm and it posted that same night. My credit was available by 7pm that night. I did make the payment through the Discover site and it cleared my bank the next day.


Not Weird... We are talking GE not Discover! LOL

Amex doesn't do it either!

 

GE needs you to send payments through your bank bill pay... it's not a sure thing that payments will be hold because you pay online but just do it with bank unless it's payment due date and you should be just fine and no holds any longer.

Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 696 Walmart, EX 686 Prosper(10-30-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
63 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Regular Contributor
gijoe4500
Posts: 232
Registered: ‎05-12-2010
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold


Creditaddict wrote:
Not Weird... We are talking GE not Discover! LOL

Amex doesn't do it either!

GE needs you to send payments through your bank bill pay... it's not a sure thing that payments will be hold because you pay online but just do it with bank unless it's payment due date and you should be just fine and no holds any longer.


That's the plan from now on, I suppose.  Its a pain in the butt to do it that way, but i guess, until I get my mortgage done in the summer, then pick up a new daily-use card... I'm going to have to deal with it.  I would tell them to get bent now,and switch over to my RBFCU card full-time, but the rewards on the Paypal Extras card are actually decent!  2.5% cash-back on gas... I really can't complain about that!

Last Hard Pull 05/24/2013

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: AmEx EX: 700 Walmart TU: 711 EQ: 699
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 740!!


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl
Posts: 2,108
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold


Creditaddict wrote:

maiden_girl wrote:

That's weird. I made a payment to my Discover card last night $930 bucks around 1:30pm and it posted that same night. My credit was available by 7pm that night. I did make the payment through the Discover site and it cleared my bank the next day.


Not Weird... We are talking GE not Discover! LOL

Amex doesn't do it either!

 

GE needs you to send payments through your bank bill pay... it's not a sure thing that payments will be hold because you pay online but just do it with bank unless it's payment due date and you should be just fine and no holds any longer.


LOLZ I know. I was just sharing my experience.

 

I also have a Living Spaces and Ashley accounts and if I pay them on their site, it posts that same day. I do wonder if it matters who you have your GE account with. I've heard Walmart payments are slow. PP Connect...not sure.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Moderator
09Lexie
Posts: 26,030
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: every credit card payment I make is put on hold


gijoe4500 wrote:

Everytime I make a payment to my Paypal Extras Mastercard (GECRB), the payment gets put on hold.  I made a payment for ~$750 on 12/7.  It cleared my bank on 12/10.  Yet they tell me that my payment will be on hold for 9 more days.  Is there any way to avoid payments getting put on hold?  The CSR was no help in telling me how to avoid payments being put on hold.


My first bill with PayPal MC was due on Dec 3, I wasn't sure the best way to handle the payment cause I wanted to pay all of my balance but $50 (payment of $250). When I called the CSR said that payments posted online - thru their website would be posted immediately AND the credit would be available.  I tried it and it worked for me.  I have only had the card since Oct and like I said it was my first statement.  As far as the other GE backed cards- I get the payment pending and the credit isn't available until it fully posts and I have tried using their website, bill pay and paying in person.  

 

Nordstrom- instant credit no hold. 

 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}