Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extended payment option

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: extended payment option

IIRC it shows up in the overview column, even if not enrolled.  Since not showing a qualifying purchase (over 150 or something like that) its hard to say.  I enrolled for the 5k points but wouldn't actually use it in case it triggers AA, have seen several posts by those who enroll, none from anyone who actually takes a risk at using it.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 11 of 20
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

IIRC it shows up in the overview column, even if not enrolled.  Since not showing a qualifying purchase (over 150 or something like that) its hard to say.  I enrolled for the 5k points but wouldn't actually use it in case it triggers AA, have seen several posts by those who enroll, none from anyone who actually takes a risk at using it.

please note i did not select or ask for select and pay later. i would not do that for any reason. something seems fishy about that option. EPO makes this charge card sort of a hybrid credit card. i kind of like this. i suppose i could confirm i would have it once i receive my first statement.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 12 of 20
Smug
Established Contributor

If I remember correct, last week was playing with my account as its new, said there would be a diamond near a item if it was 100.00 or more that extended payment.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 13 of 20
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

Does anyone get this message, when checking for eligibility?Clipboard01.jpg

When i activated my PRG I was given the option to enroll and did. I do have the "PAY IN FULL/PAY OVER TIME" tab but so far I have not seen any purchases which are eligable  to pay over time.  Not a big deal as I also have the Blue Cash Preferred I could use if I wanted to revolve a balance.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scottwagnon wrote:

@score_building wrote:

please note i did not select or ask for select and pay later. i would not do that for any reason. something seems fishy about that option. EPO makes this charge card sort of a hybrid credit card. i kind of like this. i suppose i could confirm i would have it once i receive my first statement.

If you havent even received your first statement, I doubt you have it. Normally it takes some time before Amex wends you the invite. And it IS by invite only. Qualifying purchases are anything over $100. Ive used it for a washer dryer purchase for my new house. Its pretty straight forward and easy to use.

I also will say Im not sure what the fear is using it. I guess the same place as the urban legend that AA comes from using it at WalMart. Amex is not adverse to revolving balances. Afterall, the majority of their products are revolvers.

Message 15 of 20
dharalex
Established Contributor

I'm not sure about the invite part. When I set my account up, I selected the option to pay later for qualified purchases. I got a response to the effect you've been approved, and it will take effect Nov 1 st even though it was August when I was approved.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 16 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing/

Website seems to be working for those interested in trying to add Pay Over Time and get 5000 MR points.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extended Payment Option is something you would typically get as an invitation while opening up a new charge card account, and those of you whom had to wait for your invite were probably already card members when it was released.

Once you respond to the invitation by officially enrolling in it (by calling in to activate your new/& or replacement/ upgraded/ downgraded card, or by enrolling online), it takes 47 days from your enrollment date for it to be accessible on you enrolled account. From my experience, I've noticed a pattern of being more likely to get an invite by  having a history of revolving accounts (without penalties), oppose to having a history of paying in full (even on credit card accounts). Hope this answer was of some assistance? 

Message 18 of 20
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1  

Typically it's an invite but you can apply for the added service / privilege.  I am always amazed at everyone's concern about using the credit products of Amex.  Like there is some covert motive to dupe people into losing their accounts.  If Amex offered you the account, then by all means, use it if needed.  Be responsible just like with anything and you will be alright.  If you were honest on your application when you applied, then you will have no problems.  When I first got back in with Amex, I was FR'd.  Didn't appreicate the way it happened but it's their right to do so if they have a concern and because I was forthright on my app, I had no problems and now have 4 accounts with them.  This was little over a year ago.  I have NO fears in using my accounts as I see fit and pay appropriately.  Please... use the accounts that you have worked so hard for... revel in your reward and just be responsible.  Smiley Tongue   My 2 cents.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 19 of 20
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

Improving, I agree with most of your thoughts.

However, I can agree with another poster who made the comment that Amex might not like a charge card holder carrying a balance too long. By design, a charge charge is intended to be paid in full. So they might get concerned if a charge card holder is carrying a balance for a while for a few reasons:

1) It may be a sign of financial distress IF the extended payment option is used excessively. Another poster mentioned that not paying off a balance after 4 months can be a potential red flag.

2) Theoretically, if all charges exceed the $100 threshold, a charge card holder can defer their monthly payment. Keep in mind that a huge part of their business model and cash flow is based on the income from those "pay in full" monthly payments.

3) Since the charge card reports as such, it's technically a method of reducing your reported utilization. If I were an Amex credit analyst, I might get concerned that the reported balances are being understated. Hence other creditors would be unaware of the revolving credit debt. Net result - a charge card holder could theoretically could be offered excess revolving credit lines that they may not be able to keep up with.

4) If an Amex charge card holder is using the extended payment option, why wouldn't they open or utilize a revolving credit line with Amex? Again, if I was a credit analyst, I might get a little suspicious after extended usage. (Let's say 4+ months of usage.)

Now, I fully agree with you that there is a lot of overkill regarding the Amex big brother!

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. If they offer you an option, use it! In my case, I think the whole "Check my spending ability" is somewhat of a myth. Should you use it? Yes. Should you abuse it? Probably not. But it should be noted - I have abused the heck out of it. Yet, no AA. If anything, Amex has been great to me. I started with the one charge card (PRG) and was able to add on $45,000 in revolvers in 6 months.

Should we be afraid of using the extended payment option. Absolutely not. Should you defer all qualified charges for 24 months. Heck no.

As you said, use the account in a responsible way and pay appropriately. Take full advantage of the benefits offered. Just don't abuse it!

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.