Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extremely dissapointed with navy federal. account locked

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: extremely dissapointed with navy federal. account locked

@boomhower wrote:

OP the situation sucks but I don't see anything Navy has done wrong.  As mentioned above if they alerted everyone when the accounts were going to be levied most folks are going to empy the account, then the govt is not going to be happy with them.  Your trying to do the right thing and I commend you for that but the policies are based on those that don't.  Glad to hear your situation is improving and I hope everything works out for you. Navy is a great instittion to be with and I wouldn't drop them over this.  Heck, I wish I had an in with them.

+1 ~ Navy ( and every other financial institution ) is required BY LAW to garnish or levy your funds when a proper order is served to them.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 23
DanielF
Contributor

Not only are they required by law to execute the order, but they are required by law not to notify the subject of the order whether it's a levy or information request such as a search warrant or subpoena. It sucks but its not the fault of the lending institution. The only issue with them is the fee and from what I have seen, Navy's fee schedule overall is very good. Good luck with your situation!!

Starting Score: 656(EQ myFICO) 668 (TU myFICO)
Current Score: 638 EQ 680 TU08 677 EX
Goal Score: 750
Message 12 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

It's a little tough to blame Navy Federal. Banks usually don't get a heads up that there is going to be a levy placed on an account. An officer shows up at any of the branches (if at all) and hands in some documents to one person at the branch. Usually those papers just get forwarded to the backoffice/operations department and no one in the branch actually ever sees what it is for.

I've had cases where I found out that there was a levy on an account because a customer called in and asked me why they only had .44 cents available in their checking account when they had just deposited $300 in cash. Most of the times, customers find out before people in the physical branch actually do.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 13 of 23
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Im not looking to drop navy federal. I've been doing really good improving my credit portfolio. I just hope they don't have a sour taste on their mouth with me after I get this situation resolved.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 14 of 23
FrugalRican
Blogger

@rootpooty wrote:
Im not looking to drop navy federal. I've been doing really good improving my credit portfolio. I just hope they don't have a sour taste on their mouth with me after I get this situation resolved.

Never really heard of a bank dropping a customer because they had a levy placed on them.

And I've seen them placed on people with 10 bucks and people with 500,000 bucks.

Things happen, whether it's child support, or a lawsuit, or just about anything else that would make a levy be possible.

Maybe CU's work differently, but a negative balance is far worse than a temporary hold on your account.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 23
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
So I stop to get fuel yesterday and it denied both my cc and checking card but it accepted a different card so this can't be good. Sure enough I log on to my account and they are locked. So I call in and was told the state put a levy on my accounts. Im behind about 4 months on child support. Things got tough with my job during the holidays and it basically came down to pay the rent or pay child support. I only have a few hundred in saving and checking so I asked them what does this have to do with my secured card? They told me being the secured amount is in my savings being held which I knew but they will report it as an amount I have and if the state requests it being my card has a zero balance they will close out my accounts pay the state and send me packing. Nor the state or navy federal send me a notice of intent to levy or anything and one of the worst cases is that if the irs applies my return to pay off my child support balance navy federal will charges me a hundred dollars just for having to lock my account and they will charge me everytime the state requests the lock. Any suggestions?

My kids come first in my life. I would feed my kids before I fed myself. KIds are our #1 priority and expense.  I am not judging you, I am just pointing out that not getting child support for 4 months can cause a problem for the custodial parent meeting the needs of your children. It takes your money woes and transfers some of that struggle onto the household of your children. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 16 of 23
john398
Senior Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:
So I stop to get fuel yesterday and it denied both my cc and checking card but it accepted a different card so this can't be good. Sure enough I log on to my account and they are locked. So I call in and was told the state put a levy on my accounts. Im behind about 4 months on child support. Things got tough with my job during the holidays and it basically came down to pay the rent or pay child support. I only have a few hundred in saving and checking so I asked them what does this have to do with my secured card? They told me being the secured amount is in my savings being held which I knew but they will report it as an amount I have and if the state requests it being my card has a zero balance they will close out my accounts pay the state and send me packing. Nor the state or navy federal send me a notice of intent to levy or anything and one of the worst cases is that if the irs applies my return to pay off my child support balance navy federal will charges me a hundred dollars just for having to lock my account and they will charge me everytime the state requests the lock. Any suggestions?

My kids come first in my life. I would feed my kids before I fed myself. KIds are our #1 priority and expense.  I am not judging you, I am just pointing out that not getting child support for 4 months can cause a problem for the custodial parent meeting the needs of your children. It takes your money woes and transfers some of that struggle onto the household of your children. 

I would do the same but sopmetimes child support just supplements the income of the other spouse who knows if the kids were actually starving or living pretty healthy

Message 17 of 23
Smug
Established Contributor

Love NFCU and your kids need to eat, pay up. I have no tolerance for dead beat moms or dads.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 18 of 23
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Smug wrote:
Love NFCU and your kids need to eat, pay up. I have no tolerance for dead beat moms or dads.

+1...I have been a single-income provider and married father of three since 2000. If I can support three children AND a grown adult, anyone else can work their butt off and support their children.

It isn't a matter of "if". There is no "try" when it comes to supporting your children.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 19 of 23
Smug
Established Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Smug wrote:

+1...I have been a single-income provider and married father of three since 2000. If I can support three children AND a grown adult, anyone else can work their butt off and support their children.

It isn't a matter of "if". There is no "try" when it comes to supporting your children.

I agree If you can pay for gas, you can feed your children, get a 3rd job if you need too.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.