tag
BuildingonUp

f

Good afternoon,

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Does Your Credit Limit Increase if You Pay Off a Credit Card Early?

@BuildingonUp wrote:

Good afternoon,

A month ago, I signed up for a store credit card - Wal-Mart. I got a very small credit line and bought a few things for my baby. I want to pay it today in full and I was wandering if I would get a credit increase or will I have to wait the 4 cycles that I have seen in other answers. I cannot find an answer to my question, I can only find answeers to 'how to get a credit line increase' but none answer MY question. Thank you. And happy holidays. 

Welcome to the forums !

Creditors will grant CLIs based on many different factors, which include payment history, balances, overall credit profile, income, etc....   You can generally request a CLI anytime, but creditors may not approve if your account is new, in addition to the other factors.

I'd suggest that you spend some time reading in the credit cards forum if you haven't already ~ search on wal~mart and GE ( they back the wal~mart card ).

Also I'll move this post to the credit cards forum for better visibility.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
BootStraps
Established Contributor

The short answer is NO. Paying the card off will not automatically result in a credit line increase.

Expect to wait the four statements. That said, people get a happy surprise and the first CLI comes at two months instead of four. That only seems to apply with the first increase though.

Starting Score: All Under 590 (8/2011)
Current Score: Ex: 676 Eq: 681 Tu: 683
Goal Score: Ex: 725 Eq: 725 Tu: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Back in the Garden 4/22/16 Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

or you can just all credit solutions and tell them that you want at least a G.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@BootStraps wrote:

The short answer is NO. Paying the card off will not automatically result in a credit line increase.

Expect to wait the four statements. That said, people get a happy surprise and the first CLI comes at two months instead of four. That only seems to apply with the first increase though.

+1

It also depends on a number of other factors.  Alternatively, some individuals have gone the route of GECRB Credit Solutions for a CLI review, but it is not a magic wand.

Message 5 of 8
brianjb
Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

What is an uppercase "G" going to do?  They want more credit. 😐

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 6 of 8
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@brianjb wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

What is an uppercase "G" going to do?  They want more credit. 😐

cant tell if youre joking...the emoticon is just a square..but ill answer anyways for those who dont get it.

A G is 1000 dollars. G = short for grand. 1 grand = 1000 dollars. he is saying tell the CCC that you want a least 1000 credit limit.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 7 of 8
dap1984va
New Contributor

G this forum is interesting. G-Wiz whats going on..... Well anyway, Honestly....I have one particular credit card, I could swear that 94% of the time if i spend about 1"G" maybe a little less or a little more on it, like with-in 30 days or so the credit limit seems to itch its way up .and i said 30 days or so not 3-6 months or 6-12 months. granted Its not every month I make that kind of purchase..  So personally, I think it "depends" ...and on the Company. Also I did/have  NOT paid it off early. usually before the third billing cycle just to show effort Smiley Surprised....

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.