Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fake 6.9% offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: fake 6.9% offer?

Reminds me of the people offering to extend the warranty on my car when it still has 4 years left. "Don't let it expire!" I won't. You were right to blow it off.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Reminds me of the people offering to extend the warranty on my car when it still has 4 years left. "Don't let it expire!" I won't. You were right to blow it off.

"Why do I need an extended warranty?"

"In case it breaks"

"If it's gonna break, I'm not buyin' it!"

Message 12 of 23
Ups77
Regular Contributor

I get it all the time offering 0%. I pit every month but definetly a scam. Once I block one humbervitbpops up from another different number.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skye12329 wrote:
So got a random phone call saying

"Hi this is Rachel from card member services" and she went on saying there's a offer to lower my Apr to 6.9%. However I feel like this might be fake due to the fact Rachel was an automated system and didn't specify what company. I also needed to press 1 if I wanted to continue. Does this sound fake?

Fake is an understatement. The group that has been doing this was snagged by the Feds on numerous occassions. They move locations, change telephone numbers and continue. They do violate the Federal "Do Not Call List." To put it bluntly they are a "SCAM" who has been around for several years. Not responding to their calls is suppose to be the best way to loose them and selecting options to take your number out of their data base is known not to work. Surprised you have not run across this one before. They have made national news on several occassions. Watch out and give them no information.

Message 14 of 23
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I think this is a fishing scam.

I got the call a few weeks back too.  I pressed 1, since it was not the first time I got the call, but the first time I was able to answer it. 

I asked which bank it was from and they said they work with many banks; BofA, Citi, etc. and if I wanted to check with them I could.  I asked them for the phone number for the bank and they said it was on the back of my card.  I said if they work with many banks they would have the phone number, since the one on the back of my card didn't know anything about what they did and to please give me the number to call, since if they work with my bank, they would have a special contact number for them.  They hung up and I haven't gotten a call back from them again.  (Knock on wood.)

I definitely wasn't about to give them any identifiable information and if I see their number come up again I will answer it!  I will answer it; "Consumer financial protection bureau, you call has been forward to our legal department, please state you name, physical address, and company name for Federal records to proceed with legal proceedings against your firm."

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 15 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I don't get why people are even asking.  OF COURSE it isn't a genuine offer from an issuer.  Chase/Citi/whatever would always identify themselves

Message 16 of 23
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Spider15 wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:
So got a random phone call saying

"Hi this is Rachel from card member services" and she went on saying there's a offer to lower my Apr to 6.9%. However I feel like this might be fake due to the fact Rachel was an automated system and didn't specify what company. I also needed to press 1 if I wanted to continue. Does this sound fake?

Fake is an understatement. The group that has been doing this was snagged by the Feds on numerous occassions. They move locations, change telephone numbers and continue. They do violate the Federal "Do Not Call List." To put it bluntly they are a "SCAM" who has been around for several years. Not responding to their calls is suppose to be the best way to loose them and selecting options to take your number out of their data base is known not to work. Surprised you have not run across this one before. They have made national news on several occassions. Watch out and give them no information.

Yes, Rachel has made quite a name for herself -

“Hi, this is Rachel from RoboCaller services calling. Press 1 to be scammed.”

"Rachel" herself is an elusive target, but her voice is widely known for a reason. While there are many companies performing the credit card scams, the FTC said they all rely on a smaller number of firms to actually do the computer-operated robocalling. In one case, a company called Asia Pacific Telecom was accused of making 2.6 billion pre-recorded calls over an 18-month period before getting shut down. That company's services were used both for credit card and auto insurance scams.

The FTC receives 200,000 complaints every month about these types of robocalls, and "Rachel" is the most-cited offender, agency officials said. They are effective—one boiler room got 4,500 calls a day from consumers who pressed "1." The FTC still has only a rough estimate on the damage caused by these companies. The estimate as of today is that they scammed more than 30,000 consumers and raked in roughly $30 million.

I used to gett these calls regularly a couple years back, I was sure it was a scam and since I don't carry CC debt I wasn't interested even on the very slim chance it was legit, so I'd press "2", which is supposed to tell them 'Not interested, take me off your call list', the call would end immediately, but I'd get the same call a day or so later. They finally gave up, but it sseems Rachael is still around on the scam - what they do is get as much personal info as possible, charge you a fee, and do nothing for you.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Why do I need an extended warranty?"

"In case it breaks"

"If it's gonna break, I'm not buyin' it!"

Lmao

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's even funnier when I get these calls. I drive a 20 year old minivan.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's even funnier when I get these calls. I drive a 20 year old minivan.

I usually ask them if they're calling about the '74 Javelin, Sometimes they even ask how many miles it has. I tell them I lost count of how many times the odo rolled over.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.