cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feel insulted by amex, should i call them?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: feel insulted by amex, should i call them?

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

Generally myfico members are helpful but I have noticed since I joined everyone seems to get real snippety when someone complains or seeks advice about an APR they're unhappy about.  OP already stated he (or she) believe it to be plausible to one day carry a balance, and this APR would not be ideal if this was ever to happen. I know myself personally or anyone wouldn't want a perceived high APR because we don't live in a perfect world and there are unforeseen circumstances that may cause someone to carry a balance on their card.  

As I stated, get a card with a low rate and keep it for the times when carrying a balance is not avoidable. Don't get a card that you can see has a high interest rate and then complain that the rate is too high. The lowest I have is the Chase Ink at 10.24 and if the world turned upside down and I needed to carry a balance I would either use that or borrow money from parents. I wouldn't put it on the card that has a higher interest rate knowing that I may not be able to pay it off. I wasn't getting "snippety", just pointing out the obvious.

Message 11 of 47
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Generally myfico members are helpful but I have noticed since I joined everyone seems to get real snippety when someone complains or seeks advice about an APR they're unhappy about.  OP already stated he (or she) believe it to be plausible to one day carry a balance, and this APR would not be ideal if this was ever to happen. I know myself personally or anyone wouldn't want a perceived high APR because we don't live in a perfect world and there are unforeseen circumstances that may cause someone to carry a balance on their card.  

The SPG's lowest possible APR is 15.24%.  In the event OP would opt to carry a balance, this would be the last card in which to do it.  Infinitely better options would be to (1) app for the many 0% promos; (2) utilize one of the many BT promos; (3) and/or, apply for a card geared toward carrying a balance, not the rewards.

Rewards cards such as the SPG will always come with a higher APR than a non rewards card.

Yes I agree, but the OP asked whether to call to have it lowered and I don't see why he/she shouldn't.  Those intro periods don't last forever, and like OP I would like my APRs across the board to be reasonable if I ever wanted to or had to carry a balance.

Message 12 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

Yes I agree, but the OP asked whether to call to have it lowered and I don't see why he/she shouldn't.  Those intro periods don't last forever, and like OP I would like my APRs across the board to be reasonable if I ever wanted to or had to carry a balance.

You're right, there's no reason not to call.  

However, from some of my experiences with Amex through the years, they're unlikely to grant the request until after a year.  In this case, I just think the time would be better spent on other more "rewarding" pursuits.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 47
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

As I stated, get a card with a low rate and keep it for the times when carrying a balance is not avoidable. Don't get a card that you can see has a high interest rate and then complain that the rate is too high. The lowest I have is the Chase Ink at 10.24 and if the world turned upside down and I needed to carry a balance I would either use that or borrow money from parents. I wouldn't put it on the card that has a higher interest rate knowing that I may not be able to pay it off. I wasn't getting "snippety", just pointing out the obvious.

Hi navigatethis,

Although thank God I do have parents I can call on if need be, but not everyone is in the same situation as you or myself.  And I don't know why you think everyone has parents for emergency money? OP's question was should he/she call and my response is why not. I don't think people want or even need to be lectured about what card they should or shouldn't get, OP thinks they qualify for a lower interest rate and I say go for it, all they can say is no.

Message 14 of 47
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

You're right, there's no reason not to call.  

However, from some of my experiences with Amex through the years, they're unlikely to grant the request until after a year.  In this case, I just think the time would be better spent on other more "rewarding" pursuits.  Smiley Wink

Yes, again you are the miyagi! I don't know much about Amex, and still bummed about my low CL *sigh*. But I am very happy about their 3x CLI, and I would have never known in a million years if it were not for the forum members.

Anyway OP sounds like me Smiley Happy so I can sympathize, and glad you and others are around who know what to do. Me and my lack of understaning of Amex reasoning was it sounds like OP was just approved? So I thought it would to be sort of a recon since the card hasn't been issued yet.

Message 15 of 47
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Hi navigatethis,

Although thank God I do have parents I can call on if need be, but not everyone is in the same situation as you or myself.  And I don't know why you think everyone has parents for emergency money? OP's question was should he/she call and my response is why not. I don't think people want or even need to be lectured about what card they should or shouldn't get, OP thinks they qualify for a lower interest rate and I say go for it, all they can say is no.

dds2be can do whatever they want; it doesn't matter to me. I just don't see why if the plan is to never carry a balance. I also don't think people should rely on credit cards when an emergency comes up. I am only 22 and dds2be is only 23 so it's understandable if we don't have much saved up for an emergency. However, everyone should have some money put away so that if an emergency happens, they don't pay any interest at all. I know that not everyone makes a lot of money so they cannot have thousands stashed away, but an emergency fund is something that everyone should have. People using credit cards for an emergency can lead to bad things down the road.

Message 16 of 47
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Hi navigatethis,

dds2be can do whatever they want; it doesn't matter to me. I just don't see why if the plan is to never carry a balance. I also don't think people should rely on credit cards when an emergency comes up. I am only 22 and dds2be is only 23 so it's understandable if we don't have much saved up for an emergency. However, everyone should have some money put away so that if an emergency happens, they don't pay any interest at all. I know that not everyone makes a lot of money so they cannot have thousands stashed away, but an emergency fund is something that everyone should have. People using credit cards for an emergency can lead to bad things down the road.

Ah, gotcha.  Well please don't go to post graduate school where you're not allowed to work your entire first year while paying outrageous tuition. Smiley Wink

I respectfully bow out.

Message 17 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

I don't know much about Amex, and still bummed about my low CL *sigh*. But I am very happy about their 3x CLI, and I would have never known in a million years if it were not for the forum members.

More so than any other issuer, Amex's handling of accounts very fluid.  They're model relies more heavily on future indicators, as opposed to other issuers who rely more on past indicators (the rear view mirror syndrome, which Barclay personifies).  When enough time has passed, I don't think there's an issuer more accomodating to their cardmembers than Amex.

The OP's APR will be 15.24% after some time, and your Amex CL can be 10K before you can even blink. 

Message 18 of 47
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Smiley Very Happy You know how to get me excited.  I do think they're generous in the growth department. I was thinking of adding a family member with a rough past credit histroy as an AU but decided against it because I do not know how sensitive they are.

Message 19 of 47
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Interesting post.
The usual pessimists trollin' 'round.

Firstly, I've called Amex to reduce my apr twice - they say no go til 0% is over. Okay, that's cool- I'll pif before that anyway. Lol

I heart Amex. While Barclay's and Citi have been harrassing me, Amex has been cli'ing me and I've been redeeming cashback like crazy!

Additionally, the suggestion that people can just "borrow" money from their wealthy parents is rediculous! What is this? A re run of the 2012 Presidential Campaigns?
You think everyone's parents have $100s of thous for your Harvard Edu? #mr2012? LOL
Nah. I apologize if this offends anyone.
No disrespect, just puttin' another perspective out there. :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.