cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fico score is 620 looking for a credit card.

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: fico score is 620 looking for a credit card.

You can be approved for an Amex with a CS lower than 700. Low 600's is probably more of a stretch.

OP if you are looking for store cc's- GE would be a start also their PayPal MC. You probably need mid 600's for Chase, Discover and Amex.
With that range, are there any baddies?
Message 11 of 36
murat
Contributor

i dont have baddies but i have a high utili. % 20

Message 12 of 36
myjourney
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
You can be approved for an Amex with a CS lower than 700. Low 600's is probably more of a stretch.

OP if you are looking for store cc's- GE would be a start also their PayPal MC. You probably need mid 600's for Chase, Discover and Amex.
With that range, are there any baddies?

Agreed 

Walmart is also an option if you shop there and the free (TU) fico score is a plus 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'd go with a GE product. Use them for their generous CLI's which will help with your util. By the end of the year, you should see a nice increase if you keep your util down and do not add too many accts.

Good luck.

Edit: typo
Message 14 of 36
murat
Contributor

is GE a prime lender or sub-prime?

Message 15 of 36
JonStur
Established Contributor

Don't know about your financial situation, but if you have no baddies, do your best to get your util down first. If you can get 40 or 50 more pts. on you're score, it's a whole new ball game!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 16 of 36
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

GE is prime all the way in my book.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 17 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@armbenderc wrote:

GE is prime all the way in my book.

Heh, not in mine but it's an irrelevant label anyway.

@murat: At 620 FICO, GE store cards / secured / subprime products are about as good as one can do; the breakpoint into better cards is in the 640+ range.  If you can wait for a bit I would assuming you have at least two credit cards reporting now.  If not, then I'd pick something else up, but otherwise I'd wait for my FICO to move upward by not all that much and take a shot at better cards (like a Chase Freedom or similarly tiered cards).  

        
Message 18 of 36
Nan425
New Contributor

I was approved for Discover It card (limit $1250), and AmEx Green card (no preset spending limit) with Fico Experian credit score of 640. At this time I had 1 year old 30 day late on my credit report, a paid collections that hit the one year aged mark, utilization was 40% and only 2 inquires (about 1.5 yrs old). Also, I put on my application that my income was $61K with $700 rent.

I had credit score below 600 and was approved for:

Capital One Rewards (started at $500, then increased to $750, and then to $1250), had card for about 3 years.

Merrick Bank (started at $500, then increased to $700, then to $850, then to $950, and finally to $1150), had card for less then 3 years.

Message 19 of 36
murat
Contributor

i just searched here that i think below 660 score you cant get an Amex or discover.this is my opinion.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.