cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fico score is 620 looking for a credit card.

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: fico score is 620 looking for a credit card.

You can ask. One of their main requirements is 1 year of good payment history and since you haven't been late you can try.

So you did buy a credit report and there's no lates, collections, or any negative information being reported, right?

What are your scores for EX and TU? Your scores are abnormally low for someone with 3 year history, 20% util, 3 inquiries and no derogs. Is one of your cards maxed out?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 31 of 36
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Don't do anything else until you take a look at the full reports, I agree with others that a new file (albeit thinnish) with two credit cards of perfect payment history shouldn't be that low even at the six month mark when a FICO score is first generated without a heavy utilization penalty.  

Also if your file is as clean as you say, it's an incredibly short walk to 660+ or even 700 once your accounts hit a year with proper utilization rations: don't apply for anything right now, you do not need a card right now, and unless you have a derog somewhere on your report (even if you do unless it's incredibly ugly) getting to Amex / Chase qualification isn't hard from where you're at, you just need a little bit of time.

Makes zero sense in my opinion to pickup a suboptimal card now hurting your chances for good cards in the near future.

        
Message 32 of 36

I would go with the, total rewards visa and the amazon.com visa(be sure to go for the visa first) I had a 620 and got both. retail cards you can get a victorias secret, goody's(pebbles), jcpenny, express, credit one, matrix card, wal-mart(kinda strict), and target red(also kinda strict...app in store w/purchase), kay jewlers(also app in store). if you are goin on an app spree be sure to do it all in one or two days.

Starting: Transunion(620)Experian(625)Equifax(600)
Current: Transunion(632)Experian(635)Equifax(615)
GOALS: Transunion(780)Experian(800)Equifax(775)
Message 33 of 36
RickyRay
New Contributor

I have the same problem, after being a victim of id theft and other problems, I have the short credit history now, i lost over 20 years of good credit history, lost it all! In december 2012, i started repairing all my credit. Its been rough but i got it done. I got it all cleaned up. Comenity bank was the only company that really helped me in restuctering my accounts with them. Ofcorse I have 10 differnent accounts with them, But I had to start over. Anyway now my credit history I only have an average on 6 months on it. I still dont have a visa or mastercard yet, cant get one right now. But my scores are all around 619. (Fico's) But I called the FICO people here on this site and explained all of my situation, And It takes atleast a year to get to a 700 with the type of accounts that I have. But I am half way there. I have just about 3 or 4 inquiries on all my reports, and all of my cards have around $250 credit limits, (Express Fashion card now has $740..raised one week ago from the $250 limit before). These folks really know this credit scoring stuff, Call them and they will try their best to help and explain things to help you out. I have a mixed utilation across all my accounts, 3 are all paid off now.

The others just trying to keep a low balance on them to keep the credit score going good. I really dont need a visa/mastercard or amex to get high score, turnes out store and catalog cards can do it to, just takes a little longer but none the less it works out good to. So Im in the garden for another 6 months, Then I will have a full year across the board with all my store creditcards. It also turn's out that 3 of my store cards can be upgraded to visa cards, So I really dont need anymore cards. I am really not sure how some folks on here get those really good visa and matercards with such a short credit history and those high scores. I had to work hard for the little I have got. I think in the past it was easier to get high prime end credit cards, but these days it almost impossible without haveing the high credit scores and History with that. Having myfico really helps for advice and to know whats going on in the credit world.  But ofcorse I do want a amex and one of the big bank cards but in time i will have them. (Wish it was now) but i will get there sooner or later. And I am always open for advice on my credit quest for the best.

Well I don't have a logo, so I will just use @#@
Message 34 of 36
Alala
New Visitor

Hi!

This is quite embarassing, but I am in charge on my own finances for the first time in a very long time.  For many years I did not have the responsibility of deciding what to spend, how to spend or why to spend and definitely did not know anything about the standing of my credit score!  Well, those days are behind me and independence is glorious, but also a bit overwhelming. 

I understand the basics, those being I need to pay my bills on time and not to open tons of accounts and max them out.  Unfortunately, it isn'ft just that simple. I have one derrogatory account from a County Ambulance Service.  This company did not send the paperwork to my insurance company for payment, instead they mailed a bill and in all of the shuffle I must of missed it.  The account was turned over and now the collection agency is telling me I must pay the total amount owed and there is no way to bill my insurance!!  Do I have to go through the collection company?  Can I just contact Catawba Ambulance Service and see if they will possibly bill my insurance or allow me to pay the bill over time??  Can you circumvent the Nasty Collection People?

My Score, currently, is 620.  I have a Capital 1 card with a $500 limit and is carrying about $300.  Somehow I ended up with a Fingerhut account with a $300 limit, but I have never used that.  I am curious about your statement above about opening accounts all in 1 or 2 days?? 

I would like to open an Amex for emergencies.  Should I wait a bit?

Thank You

Michele

Message 35 of 36
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Alala wrote:

Hi!

This is quite embarassing, but I am in charge on my own finances for the first time in a very long time.  For many years I did not have the responsibility of deciding what to spend, how to spend or why to spend and definitely did not know anything about the standing of my credit score!  Well, those days are behind me and independence is glorious, but also a bit overwhelming. 

I understand the basics, those being I need to pay my bills on time and not to open tons of accounts and max them out.  Unfortunately, it isn'ft just that simple. I have one derrogatory account from a County Ambulance Service.  This company did not send the paperwork to my insurance company for payment, instead they mailed a bill and in all of the shuffle I must of missed it.  The account was turned over and now the collection agency is telling me I must pay the total amount owed and there is no way to bill my insurance!!  Do I have to go through the collection company?  Can I just contact Catawba Ambulance Service and see if they will possibly bill my insurance or allow me to pay the bill over time??  Can you circumvent the Nasty Collection People?

My Score, currently, is 620.  I have a Capital 1 card with a $500 limit and is carrying about $300.  Somehow I ended up with a Fingerhut account with a $300 limit, but I have never used that.  I am curious about your statement above about opening accounts all in 1 or 2 days?? 

I would like to open an Amex for emergencies.  Should I wait a bit?

Thank You

Michele

Hi there,

You have two good questions and they probably would be better off in a separate thread.  The "Rebuilding" forum is an excellent place for this post.   But since you're here...

(1)  I would definitely try calling the Catawba Ambulence Services directly to resolve your bill.   And yes, you can ask if they can pull back your account from collections.

(2) With an unpaid recent collection and a revolving account at 60% UTIL, you're not likely to be approved by AMEX at this time.   I would try again once you get the collection removed and you get the UTIL down on your Cap One account

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.