Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finally got a card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

finally got a card

so over the past 5 years i have been fixing my credit after really messing it up during college, with collections and lates, and charge off's. my score back when i got out of college was 520. i have periodically tried applying for credit cards here and there but always get disapproved inspite of my recent credit history being very good, no lates or anything. i travel constantly so the orchard bank card i have with a limit of 1800 has not been enough. i end up maxing it out. and having to pay it off before the end of the month to try and use it again, for hotel bookings and rental cars. 

well i applied for amazon visa and nfcu visa. neither were instant approvals. the amazon card was approved after a short phone call with them however i dont know what the limit is yet. the nfcu card is still in review as they requested proof of income. 

equifax 710

transunion 678

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: finally got a card

Welcome to the forums, sufur!

Congrats on the Amazon card, and it sounds like it's looking good for the NFCU card, too!

Let us know...

Message 2 of 5
sonson
Regular Contributor

congrats! glad you were able to get a cc, i too were in the same boat and trying to recover from college and rebuild mycredit.

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on getting another card- I'm sure more will follow after that one.

After College I did the worst thing possible to mess up my credit- I defaulted on my student loans.  Since then I have paid off all my student loans and making that last payment was a great feeling.  I noticed that paying off old student loans really helps your fico.  On top off that I got into trouble with my first credit cards!

You said you have been "fixing" your credit for 5 years.  Just remember that most everything falls off your report after 7 years- if they haven't dispute them.  It sounds like you are moving in the right direction- with new trade lines and a little time all your bad credit will just age off your reports and you will just have the good credit trade lines.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i finally got approved for the nfcu visa as well with a 10k limit. im quite happy at this point. seems things are generally progressing in a good direction. now if i could just refinance my car and house id be set.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.