Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time card help

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

first time card help

So my sister will be 18 next month. However she will need a card to start, i am going to add her as an AU to get her a aaoa and history of about 1.5 yrs. Will she have a chance with chase. Personally i want her to have chase because i love their customer service. She will be attending college next year so no student loans till then.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

Re: first time card help

Personally I think we should apply for a student card but I am not sure if chase offer any student cards. I know Citi, Cap1, Discover and BOA offer student cards. I think she may have an easier time gettin a student card. BTW does she have a checking account with chase? I believe chase may factor in any other relationships you have with them. Good luck and I am sure others will chime in.

Message 2 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Add her to your CapOne account (and others)  if it has low UTL and no lates, in 3 months or so have her apply for CapOne let it report for a few months, then go for chase. My son with no Credit file and in college was able to go from no Credit to  CapOne, Chase freedom, Discover IT, Target storecard, Amex PRG in less than a year.  PRG card has since been closed after 11.5 months, only used once, to set member date. Smiley Tongue

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 6
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
So my sister will be 18 next month. However she will need a card to start, i am going to add her as an AU to get her a aaoa and history of about 1.5 yrs. Will she have a chance with chase. Personally i want her to have chase because i love their customer service. She will be attending college next year so no student loans till then.

I am not quite sure if that will be enough to get her in with chase. She can maybe try and start off with one of the student cards, I think discover citi and cap one offer them ? Once she gets maybe 6 monhs of good credit history under her belt with student card then she could give an chase freedom card maybe an try. 

From my personal experience with new 08 fico scoring, AU accounts don't get counted for much, so I don't know how much you adding her on will effect her credit history. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 6
MT936
Established Contributor

Tell her to apply for the discover it student card a lot of my college friends first card was the discover it
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 5 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Does she even have a score as of yet? If not, I would have her on as your AU for 6 months as long as they are low util and free of neg's.  Then in 6 months look at apping for Discover It (she will probably start receiving student offers in the mail), or the Barclay Sallie Mae, or Cap1's Freedom Student card. Personally, I am a big fan of Barclay's SM since they gave my 19 daughter $3.2K for her first CC ever. No $500 toy limits to have to deal with.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.