Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

for those of you with citi bank accts or you have had a citi secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

for those of you with citi bank accts or you have had a citi secured

question...for those of you with an actual citi bank account.....my bro in law has a citi checking acct..he has absolutely terrible credit (my sisters's words, not mine)but after he ha dthe citi account for like 1 year, they started sending him preapproved offers...they got a children's place card(my sister said, it was backed by citi at that time), jc penney, and some other card...she said when he called to check on the status, before the cards arrived, the csr told him the reason he began getting cards, was because due to his good accoutn history with citi, they took that into consideration even though his scores were very low.

now, mind you, that was a little over a year ago when this happened, but i was wondering if any of you know a similiar story, or any thoughts.

my husband and I have been fixing credit for years, when it was on the right track, we had a set back of a car repo, and $90,000 in medical bills...(our insurance didnt cover all of his hip replacement)
so now we are rebuilding once again..husband and i both have an orchard, for over 2 years, in good standing, recently I got a rewards 660 card(i know, not the best card), and I sent off the app and money for a citi secured, because i heard if you get that one it helps you get approved later for other citi cards.....any thoughts...
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cadavis0609
Frequent Contributor

Re: for those of you with citi bank accts or you have had a citi secured

this has been a topic of debate here in the forums. I do personally think that a bank is more willing to take a chance on you if you have an account with them because they have an inside look at your finances. I have "terrible" credit as well and I was approved for a BoA Platinum Plus visa. I think its because I've had a checking account with them for over a year, consistently maintain a balance of 1000 or more and I have never overdrafted.
Sept 07 EQ 419

April 2012 EQ- 669 EXP- 680 TU-700= Proud New Homeowner!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: for those of you with citi bank accts or you have had a citi secured

I agree.
I have had a wells fargo chk/sav acct for about 10 years now. About 7 months ago i purchased a new truck from ford and wells fargo stepped in and financed the loan at a better rate than ford motor credit. And since then everytime i step into a branch they offer me a credit card. At the time my truck was financed i had really low scores.like low-low-600.
Wells Fargo did ask me questions about my credit file and banking info prior to financing the truck.So i know they do look at that.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.